Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    After two aborted attempts at starting it and just getting bored early I decided to stick with it. Once I got into the game I kept playing and something like 130 hrs and 4 months later I finished it along with the DLC. I was very happy to be done. It was a good game but it got very repetitive and I just stopped caring about the story after a while. Plus due to all the similar quests as things were coming to a climax I no longer really remembered the important events from earlier in the game as they all blurred together.
    What was your playthrough in terms of choices.

Because the Witcher III is a RPG with dialogue choices and in-game branching paths that really payoff big in all sorts of ways.

Long yeah. A bit of a grind certainly, in terms of leveling and finding equipment. But I wouldn't call it repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why do you say that?

I like it so far still got half the show to go. But I havent seen anything that should push people buttons.
    Sorry for the late response. Just its not like Game of Thrones. The fantasy elements and sheer ridiculousness are much more obvious. So even though things like Comics and Star Wars are trendy now, i thought Witcher might push the limits of the bandwagon so to speak. I see it some of the reviews, but glad Witcher seems to be a hit regardless though.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-30-2019 at 09:00 PM.

The show seems to be doing VERY well...

https://www.cbr.com/the-witcher-more...e-mandalorian/

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post

I'm happy to see this. I've been watching The Mandalorian, and while I don't feel it's right to directly compare The Witcher and it, IMO, The Witcher is much better.
    The Mando has had some terrible acting in just about every episode and it's really just a by-the-numbers show where it's 1) pick up a bounty or lead on something, 2) act on it, deal with new characters for that particular episode and 3) carry baby Yoda around for the nostalgia factor.
    I haven't understood why it's had piles of praise on it, even though I've been watching it and mostly enjoying it for what it is.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I'm happy to see this. I've been watching The Mandalorian, and while I don't feel it's right to directly compare The Witcher and it, IMO, The Witcher is much better.
    The Mando has had some terrible acting in just about every episode and it's really just a by-the-numbers show where it's 1) pick up a bounty or lead on something, 2) act on it, deal with new characters for that particular episode and 3) carry baby Yoda around for the nostalgia factor.
    I haven't understood why it's had piles of praise on it, even though I've been watching it and mostly enjoying it for what it is.
    The show is a space western. The episodic approach fits better than a serial story. When did episodic series became such a bad thing?

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I enjoyed the witcher but got bored for long stretches throughout. Also preferred the production quality of the Mandalorian way more. Invested in seasonn2 for both though just prefer Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post

I'm happy for the Witcher. But I think this has more to do with Netflix having wider distribution than Disney at this point.

Agreed. I'll watch near anything that is Star Wars but Mandalorian just wasn't that good. It was trying WAY to hard to get the western vibe which came down as cheesy in a bad way with the cowboy alien guy from the first episode. Then doing a Magnificient Seven themed episode was the low point because its been done so many times by other shows and done better.

I've watched the Witcher twice through so far and found it to be even better the second time as I picked up on lots of little things I missed. For instance, the shifting timelines are revealed in episode one but few of us caught it. When Geralt is talking to Renfri its mentioned in passing that young Queen Calanthe (spelling?) just won her first battle yet in Calanthe / Ciri's timeline she is in her fifties. Then in Yennifer's timeline two young children are seen who are old adults in Geralt's and Ciri's.

Incredible Member

The witcher won't have more than a few seasons imo and it has nothing to do with the show itself. Netflix killed any GOT type hype for the show by allowing it to be binged. There's a lot of power to making people wait each week for new episodes. It allows people to talk longer about and become more invested in the show. Additionally, it increases anticipation on what will happen next. For a 12 episode season it can be the difference of the show being relevant for 3 months compared to a single month.

It sucks because Henry Cavill is such a good actor that he continously gets screwed by organizational mismanagement ie DCEU/WB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    The witcher won't have more than a few seasons imo and it has nothing to do with the show itself. Netflix killed any GOT type hype for the show by allowing it to be binged.
    GOT hype got killed by GOT's final season, LOL. The Witcher 2019 on its arrival was greeted by many as "making them wash the bad taste of GOT after S8". That's why people focused on the Mandalorian vs. Witcher nerdfight.

Being binged doesn't hurt Witcher. I am sure if Mandalorian was binged people would note how repetitive and slow-moving it is, because seeing it as series episodes makes them neglect that.

Mighty Member

If it isn't one competition it's another. Too many people just seem incapable of liking something without comparing it to something else and tearing it down.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    If it isn't one competition it's another. Too many people just seem incapable of liking something without comparing it to something else and tearing it down.
    Agreed. I don't need to tear down another show to enjoy a show. There nothing in common with those shows outside of being hottest streaming shows going right now.

I love both shows, Mando and Witcher. They scratch two very different itches for me.

On the topic of Witcher, I'm on my second viewing and have to say the disjointed timeline is perfect for rewatches. You get to see things in the background you missed on first viewing. I think that is glorious and will lend to the popularity of the show.

That is were it is superior to GOT; Witcher is made for repeated viewings. GOT was event-style television and the story doesn't make you want to go back and watch it again. If you didn't watch it when it came out, you missed the GOT train.

Witcher I think will last due to this narrative structure.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I’ve started my re-watch and it’s so much better than the first viewing.
    I’m not sure season two will be structured the same. It’s apparently going to be more straight forward now, per the show runner.

Also, I didn’t mean to start an argument about Mando vs. Witcher. I was only making some of my own points. They are much different and shouldn’t really be compared. Let’s all get the thread back Witcher talk and we’ll table the previous posts, starting with mine.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 01-02-2020 at 08:21 PM.

A few updates to provide for everyone.

Netflix released their official show timeline via Twitter (https://twitter.com/netflixwitcher?lang=en):

WitcherTimeline.jpg

They've also released an interactive map on their site: https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

And we're all still eagerly awaiting the official OST release… No update there.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 01-10-2020 at 12:46 PM.