Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How should the lasso work?

Just telling the truth, or obey commands? Only able to speak objective truth, or truth as the lasso-ee sees it? Semi-resistable, or immediately tells truth without realizing it? Hypercompetence can allow escape, or instantly ends all fights? Discuss.

I think I prefer the Lasso of Truth (or the Lasso of Hestia), but I'd like writers to really think through its implications no matter what. I don't think it should really force out an "objective" truth, but it should definitely strip the soul bare for the person caught in it.

I'm not necessarily averse to the old Magic Lasso (or the Lasso of Aphrodite), but I think it'd require a writer and artist who is really kink- and bondage-positive to use it. Simone had some great scenes that showed she could go that way, and having Stjepan Sejic doing a revisit of some of Marston's old tales and themes would be great, but DC's standard stable of creators would be really unsuited for that.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This is a tough one because I think that each type or interpretation of the Lasso has its good moments. Sometimes I think, in the context of the story, the objective truth should be pulled out, but other times I think that the Lasso should strip the soul bare.

So overall, I think it should depend on the situation, but I know that's inconsistent and really ruins the concept of the Lasso.

Fantastic Member

My main concern about the lasso is how actually WW wield it is a weapon. It's magical properties are cool enough, but it's use can be a bit more stylized enough that it becomes trendy; kind of like how Aikido increased by 300% enrollment when Steven Seagal's film came out (lol).

First,

...Bring back WW's telepathic control of that lasso; with that back, she can do more movements with it that can totally make suspension of disbelief even more believable, if that makes sense.
    ...Allow the magic lasso to be transformed into any kind ancient weapon she desires it to be
    ...Bring the back the Circle of Fire

No mind control for me.

I like the mind control aspect but it's hard to write well. It becomes a deus ex machina for almost any conflict except the conflict using it would ignite. That's why I'd prefer it for another version of Wonder Woman besides the main title. There the lasso should tell the absolute truth without any coloring at least as the encircled views it. They could of course be wrong though.

I'm fine with the lasso's normal powers but it should be more magical and defy the laws of gravity and physics. It's not simply a golden glowing unbreakable rope that can be any length, but my main problem is how easily recently people have been able to escape it. I also don't like how just anyone can pick it up and use it powers, even if they could make someone tell the truth they shouldn't be able to wield it like Diana. Lassoing things is hard and that's something anyone who's tried it knows.

I agree the Fires of Hestia were great and I don't think we've seen that power since WW Blackest Night. It should make a return soon.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Pre-COIE Magic lasso. It was far more powerful and unbreakable, it could stop a Kryptonian in their tracks and even they couldn't break it. It's main problem is that it may be TOO powerful that you'd have to come up with reasons why she can't use it 100% of the time to stop all conflicts, but that also has the benefit of encouraging more creativity in stories.

The potentially ominous applications of its powers should be present. It is derived from the Magic Girdle and is thus a gift from fickle and morally questionable Gods. It SHOULD be potentially very dangerous in the wrong hands. Wonder Woman would never abuse it, but her villains would if they got their hands on it, but that's no different than any super power or weapon being used by the wrong person. I also would prefer it be created by the Amazons themselves as it was originally than having it be a gift from Hephaestus.

The potential for writers to use it badly is there though, but that is unfortunately par the course for Wonder Woman: everything of hers is often underutilized or used badly.

Actually, now that I think about it, in todays "no, you're the fake news!" climate, it would be pretty interesting if the Lasso had plenty of misinformation around it in-universe.

"Oh, sure he said that he killed that person, but if he was mind controlled he'd have no choice but to say it!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it, in todays "no, you're the fake news!" climate, it would be pretty interesting if the Lasso had plenty of misinformation around it in-universe.

"Oh, sure he said that he killed that person, but if he was mind controlled he'd have no choice but to say it!"
    That wouldn't be an unreasonable conclusion for someone without the reader's omniscient view point.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I really wish that the lasso were impossible to wield/use/touch for anyone but Diana, kind of like Thor's hammer, but obviously not in the same "I can't even lift it" way (it would not "look" right). Just have anyone who touched it be burned (not lethally...sorta like an electrical charge that won't kill you or even scar you but will simply not let you touch the lasso).
    I also HATE the mind control thing. It just seems too...un-Wonder Woman like.
    I prefer the truth-extracting capabilities through baring the soul of whoemever is held by it.
    I also like the lasso being able to be as long as it needed to be and indestructible of course.
    Not even Superman should eb able to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I like the mind control aspect but it's hard to write well. It becomes a deus ex machina for almost any conflict except the conflict using it would ignite. That's why I'd prefer it for another version of Wonder Woman besides the main title. There the lasso should tell the absolute truth without any coloring at least as the encircled views it. They could of course be wrong though.

I'm fine with the lasso's normal powers but it should be more magical and defy the laws of gravity and physics. It's not simply a golden glowing unbreakable rope that can be any length, but my main problem is how easily recently people have been able to escape it. I also don't like how just anyone can pick it up and use it powers, even if they could make someone tell the truth they shouldn't be able to wield it like Diana. Lassoing things is hard and that's something anyone who's tried it knows.

I agree the Fires of Hestia were great and I don't think we've seen that power since WW Blackest Night. It should make a return soon.
    This is what I mean...

e2a19149458006c2915153931f80046f.jpg

AUG190571.jpg

Also the lasso's transformation/extra dimensional powers should be brought back, so Diana can change into anything by stepping through the circle, armor, evening gown, etc. and use the lasso to store her weapons.

Boisterously Confused

In my head-cannon, the lasso's always been a conduit for a number of Amazonian psionic abilities. WW can make crazy snaring throws with it because it channels her telekinesis. It's truth-compulsion properties are an amplification of her telepathy.

I don't mind the mind-control idea, because it's the kind of thing I think WW would use very sparingly.

If the purpose of the lasso is to compel truth, then mind control seems rather counter-intuitive. Forcing someone to obey you and act in a way they otherwise wouldn't is about as far from truth as it gets.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but to me it never felt like it fit the theme.

As for "objective" truth, I think it's more interesting if it's truth as the person tied up sees it. I mean, if, I dunno, Circe disguises herself as Steve Trevor and then hires assassins to kill Diana, when Diana ties one of them up they're not going to say it was Circe who hired them, how would they know? No, they'd think they were hired by Steve and that's the truth they would express.

I'm not a fan of the way America has turned truth into a subjective notion, where we can write something off just because we disagree with it (climate change), but I also don't think the lasso could make someone speak a truth they don't know. I think this makes the lasso more interesting, and also gives it a kind of limitation so it doesn't become Diana's go-to solution for every single problem.

Past that, unbreakable goes without saying. It should take a god to break that thing, even the Spectre shouldn't have that kind of muscle. Infinite length as well (though I'm not a fan of the idea of Diana tying up a whole planet, as we've seen in some Golden Age comics and Morrison's JLA), and I like the idea of it being able to generate portals. And I've said for a long time it should be animated; either through its own magic or just reacting to Diana's telepathic commands, whichever. I adore the idea of that lasso working like Spawn's cape and fighting with Diana, guarding her back, seemingly acting on its own.

I'm also a fan of the idea that only Diana can access it's powers. Maybe other people can pick it up, but to them its just a rope. Or maybe they get burned when they try, whatever, but in any hands other than Diana's I like the idea of it just being rather....mundane.

I'm also cool with the idea that the lasso can capture things that aren't corporeal. Tesseract storms, energy, lightning, ghosts, spells.....stuff you can't actually touch, the lasso should still be able to wrap around.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    My main concern about the lasso is how actually WW wield it is a weapon. It's magical properties are cool enough, but it's use can be a bit more stylized enough that it becomes trendy; kind of like how Aikido increased by 300% enrollment when Steven Seagal's film came out (lol).
    Isn't there a ninja art where you disable your enemy by tying them up while you fight them? That sounds fun. It fits WW since it's a way to beat someone in a fight witout causing injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    This is a tough one because I think that each type or interpretation of the Lasso has its good moments. Sometimes I think, in the context of the story, the objective truth should be pulled out, but other times I think that the Lasso should strip the soul bare.
    I'd say that it forces people to answer truthfully, according to their knowledge. But, since it's mystical truth compulsion, it causes the target to know whether what they beleive is actually true.

For example: asking someone for a password. They have what they beleive is the right password, but when asked for it they suddenly realize it's a fake. But this doesn't give anyone the right password. It sifts truth from lies, but it's not omniscient. If the target doesn't know the answer, then they can't give you the answer.

But this has the side effect of causing the target to realize that what they beleived was wrong. It sifts the truth from lies with everything the target thinks about too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I like the mind control aspect but it's hard to write well. It becomes a deus ex machina for almost any conflict except the conflict using it would ignite. That's why I'd prefer it for another version of Wonder Woman besides the main title.
    It's about limits. I think it needs to be something WW has to actively focus on to maintain control. It definitely shouldn't last after WW releases them from the lasso's hold.

This kinda ties into something else. The lasso has the ability to immobilize whoever is held in it. You're not physically restraining them. It's a form of magical binding. Thus it can stop a teleporter from escaping by forcing them to not teleport or stopping a Kryptonian from using heat vision while bound, etc... It's not mind control but controlling the target's ability to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If the purpose of the lasso is to compel truth, then mind control seems rather counter-intuitive. Forcing someone to obey you and act in a way they otherwise wouldn't is about as far from truth as it gets.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but to me it never felt like it fit the theme.
    Mind control and forced obedience are not quite the same thing.

I'm not a fan of the way America has turned truth into a subjective notion, where we can write something off just because we disagree with it (climate change),
    *pokes with stick repeatedly*

I adore the idea of that lasso working like Spawn's cape and fighting with Diana, guarding her back, seemingly acting on its own.
    Given that it's a gift of the gods, that'd make it do what the gods want and is probably bad.

I'm also a fan of the idea that only Diana can access it's powers. Maybe other people can pick it up, but to them its just a rope. Or maybe they get burned when they try, whatever, but in any hands other than Diana's I like the idea of it just being rather....mundane.
    It wasn't made for her though, so it doesn't make that much sense to make it only hers to command. I kinda like the idea that Diana doesn't like to make it stretch too much since it doesn't work right if other people grab it.

I'm also cool with the idea that the lasso can capture things that aren't corporeal. Tesseract storms, energy, lightning, ghosts, spells.....stuff you can't actually touch, the lasso should still be able to wrap around.
    that's fitting with the magical binding idea.

As for weaknesses... I loved what Deva did to WW. WW decides to interrogate Deva with it, which works well enough, but Deva grabs the lasso and starts asking WW questions. WW can't just let go.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    mind control and forced obedience are not quite the same thing.
    No, but the differences are slight enough that most writers are going to treat it as the same thing.

Given that it's a gift of the gods, that'd make it do what the gods want and is probably bad.
    Not necessarily. The lasso was made by the gods so anything about it could potentially be suspect, any "truth" revealed could be a potential lie crafted by the gods, but how often do the gods even consider the lasso? If they want to get at and manipulate Diana there's plenty of better ways to do it than possessing her magic rope.

I mean, what's the worst case scenario? The gods get pissy and use the rope to attack Diana or one of her loved ones? If the gods possess the lasso they're gonna animate it anyway. Might as well let Diana do it too and get more use and cool visuals out of it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.