Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely think this wretched, "post-truth," "I'll believe whatever convenient 'facts' support my bias" culture could definitely open up some intriguing ideas for the lasso and Diana. Some really fascinating stuff to pull out of that.

But god damn, that's a fine line to walk right now. I feel like you'd need a writer willing and able to do some legit research and set their own opinions aside. And you'd probably just piss everyone off even if you did it well. People don't want to hear truth right now, they want to hear what they are already saying themselves.
    Yes, it'd need the right writer. But to me, Wonder Woman always deserves the right writer.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that our society isn't "post-truth". Rather, it is starting to wake up and realise that the truth is political, and the political is truth.

One thing I'm pondering right now is the nature of escapist fiction, and how immensely political it is. Most people pretend it isn't political, but it's usually steeped in politics—we just don't notice it. Both Wonder Woman and Superman were intensely political figures in their beginning, and the 30s and 40s were a time of an even more polarised political climate.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yes, it'd need the right writer. But to me, Wonder Woman always deserves the right writer.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that our society isn't "post-truth". Rather, it is starting to wake up and realise that the truth is political, and the political is truth.

One thing I'm pondering right now is the nature of escapist fiction, and how immensely political it is. Most people pretend it isn't political, but it's usually steeped in politics—we just don't notice it. Both Wonder Woman and Superman were intensely political figures in their beginning, and the 30s and 40s were a time of an even more polarised political climate.
    Ultimately, just about everything is political in one way or another. We're political animals.

Whether we're "post-truth" is....well, that's not exactly a term with hard and fast definitions, but what I mean is that people will take objective facts and twist them to suit a narrative, while discarding anything that disagrees with them. If we hear something we don't like, we write it off as "fake news" while defending anything that we agree with....even when it's not objectively true.

Like, just consider the pandemic. The death rate is low, and some people have used that to argue against quarantine and all the steps that've been taken to control the outbreak. The low death rate is a objective fact, but it's being twisted to fit and justify someone's pre-established opinion. Alternatively, we've got people looking at the speed of the spread and using that to justify their own pre-established positions while ignoring other factors.

Instead of looking at all the facts, weighing and considering the variables and coming to a relatively objective conclusion based on that, people look at the facts they find agreeable and discard the rest. Instead of looking at the whole, they just take the pieces they can use to support the narrative they want to push. Both sides get to claim the facts are behind them, and we end up with a situation where neither side is actually correct. That's not truth.

Truth has been weaponized, and in the process been made useless, and that's a hell of a story hook for Diana.....but it also makes the story impossible to tell and still have it sell; a good Diana story would dive into this phenomena and explore how people have used individual facts to create a false narrative, and people don't want to read about how they're looking at the world the wrong way, they just want to be told that they're right and their views are justified.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

All-New Member

For me, the lasso should let the person tell his perceived truth based on his experience, observation, belief and perception. But Diana should be able to go deeper and see the subconscious truth. The underlying event that happened. It is like being there the moment event occured. She can then volunteer to show to the person whether what he believes is the truth or a lie. The person can either accept it or totally reject it. This would make being in the lasso to be a dreadful and painful experience since the actual truth can be scary or a dark past that someone avoids or unaware. This can weaken her foe.

Also the lasso should be able to free someone from hypnotism or magical spell including wonder woman. This shall make her invulnerable to magic as long as she is in possession of the lasso.
    Last edited by Amazonprincess; 06-24-2020 at 11:00 PM.

I figure she pulls it off her belt, twirls and throws.... just like how other lassos work

...wait, Is that not what you mean? Lol....

Lasso of Truth

Abilities:

- Clothes Transformation: This ability can work exclusively to Diana. It can use the Lasso to change from her wonder woman garb to civilian wear. It serves as some sort of a pocket storage

- Erasing Fault Memories: Erases lies from a target's mind.

- Exorcising Entities (ghosts, demons, spirits, etc)

- Illusion Awareness: Can see through the target's Illusions.

- Truth & Lie Detection

- Truth Inducement

- True Self Recognition: Can perceive the inner self of others. See what they truly wish, what they need, without the masks and personas that a recipient wears due to societal pressures. Even knowing things that they do/did not know.

- Psychic Inhibitors: Can place psychic inhibitors to the target's mind, allowing the user to allowing to block abilities. Once the user has placed the blocks, the target's cannot access their abilities. It can explain why individuals under the effects of the Lasso of Truth cannot escape because the magical effects can hinder abilities which are consciously controlled (e.g. teleportation, shapeshifting).

- Relieving Mental Control: Free the target from mind control, brainwashing and false perception.

- Unbreakable Material: No physical or magical force cannot destroy the Lasso.

Weakness:

- If the target's willpower is stronger than the user holding the Lasso of Truth. The target can resist the effects.

- Illusions that show something more personal for the user can affect their ability to see through it unless they can emotionally endure it.

- Only guarantees the person is telling the truth to their knowledge. If they are misinformed, the truth may be misleading or they may know nothing about the subject at all.

- Seeing only the best part of other people through the lasso of truth can be turned into an easy target for enemies. For example, Dr Pyscho likes the best part of himself by being a psychological mad villain and it would not change who he is, despite the truth.

YES! one of my favorite limitations. Grunt Bob knows that Bane told him the plan, and the plan was to steal a tank of methane gas. Bob doesn't actually know anything other than what Bane told him.