Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How should the lasso work?

Just telling the truth, or obey commands? Only able to speak objective truth, or truth as the lasso-ee sees it? Semi-resistable, or immediately tells truth without realizing it? Hypercompetence can allow escape, or instantly ends all fights? Discuss.

I think I prefer the Lasso of Truth (or the Lasso of Hestia), but I'd like writers to really think through its implications no matter what. I don't think it should really force out an "objective" truth, but it should definitely strip the soul bare for the person caught in it.

I'm not necessarily averse to the old Magic Lasso (or the Lasso of Aphrodite), but I think it'd require a writer and artist who is really kink- and bondage-positive to use it. Simone had some great scenes that showed she could go that way, and having Stjepan Sejic doing a revisit of some of Marston's old tales and themes would be great, but DC's standard stable of creators would be really unsuited for that.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

This is a tough one because I think that each type or interpretation of the Lasso has its good moments. Sometimes I think, in the context of the story, the objective truth should be pulled out, but other times I think that the Lasso should strip the soul bare.

So overall, I think it should depend on the situation, but I know that's inconsistent and really ruins the concept of the Lasso.

Fantastic Member

My main concern about the lasso is how actually WW wield it is a weapon. It's magical properties are cool enough, but it's use can be a bit more stylized enough that it becomes trendy; kind of like how Aikido increased by 300% enrollment when Steven Seagal's film came out (lol).

First,

...Bring back WW's telepathic control of that lasso; with that back, she can do more movements with it that can totally make suspension of disbelief even more believable, if that makes sense.
    ...Allow the magic lasso to be transformed into any kind ancient weapon she desires it to be
    ...Bring the back the Circle of Fire

No mind control for me.

I like the mind control aspect but it's hard to write well. It becomes a deus ex machina for almost any conflict except the conflict using it would ignite. That's why I'd prefer it for another version of Wonder Woman besides the main title. There the lasso should tell the absolute truth without any coloring at least as the encircled views it. They could of course be wrong though.

I'm fine with the lasso's normal powers but it should be more magical and defy the laws of gravity and physics. It's not simply a golden glowing unbreakable rope that can be any length, but my main problem is how easily recently people have been able to escape it. I also don't like how just anyone can pick it up and use it powers, even if they could make someone tell the truth they shouldn't be able to wield it like Diana. Lassoing things is hard and that's something anyone who's tried it knows.

I agree the Fires of Hestia were great and I don't think we've seen that power since WW Blackest Night. It should make a return soon.