Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

My prefered take is that the Lasso forces those bound by it to obey commands, but Wonder Woman only uses it to discover the truth because of ethical reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not necessarily. The lasso was made by the gods so anything about it could potentially be suspect, any "truth" revealed could be a potential lie crafted by the gods, but how often do the gods even consider the lasso? If they want to get at and manipulate Diana there's plenty of better ways to do it than possessing her magic rope.

I mean, what's the worst case scenario? The gods get pissy and use the rope to attack Diana or one of her loved ones? If the gods possess the lasso they're gonna animate it anyway. Might as well let Diana do it too and get more use and cool visuals out of it.
    Maybe?

Realistically, it's a tool she uses. Giving it the ability to act on it's own makes it a bit OP. Also my take is that the best ideas for weaknesses to the lasso are that A: it requires focus and concentration to wield, B: anyone who holds it can at least try to control it. I mentioned that bit with WW and Deva because both had the lasso wrapped around them and were holding it too. In Deva's case she only had one hand on it and was properly captured with it, but in WW's case it was just wrapped around one of the arms she was using to hold it. But this created a situation where the two could engage in a battle of wills as they wrestled for control. It was one of the coolest ever uses for the lasso.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I'd say that it forces people to answer truthfully, according to their knowledge. But, since it's mystical truth compulsion, it causes the target to know whether what they beleive is actually true.

For example: asking someone for a password. They have what they beleive is the right password, but when asked for it they suddenly realize it's a fake. But this doesn't give anyone the right password. It sifts truth from lies, but it's not omniscient. If the target doesn't know the answer, then they can't give you the answer.

But this has the side effect of causing the target to realize that what they beleived was wrong. It sifts the truth from lies with everything the target thinks about too.
    Wow, I actually really like this. It gives the Lasso of Truth more function, as a plot element, other than just ripping out the truth. It can help Diana to force others to come to the truth and terms of whatever is happening in context and that could easily make for some great story elements!

One of the ideas I've always liked is that the lasso is a magical, unbreakable rope, but only in Diana's hands does it function properly. Diana is the necessary 'translator' for the lasso's full power.

1. Unbreakable
    2. Incredibly elastic
    3. Truth-revealing capabilities; the Simone take on this was the greatest for my money
    4. Unable to be untied, unless by the hands of a god
    5. Unable to be used in a whip-like fashion
    6. The fires of Hestia provide some limited protective capabilities when within its boundary
    7. Its strength and power is a reflection of Diana's empathy and skill

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Maybe?

Realistically, it's a tool she uses. Giving it the ability to act on it's own makes it a bit OP.
    Maybe not act entirely on its own, but at her mental command. Hell she used to control the invisible jet telepathically, the lasso isn't any more dangerous than a super sonic fighter jet you can't see coming.

I don't care that its OP, it's a cool visual and silly fun idea and I stand by it. Its cool that you're not feeling it though, I'm never gonna write Diana anyway.

Also my take is that the best ideas for weaknesses to the lasso are that A: it requires focus and concentration to wield,
    Which I agree with. I just think Diana's got the focus and concentration to manage it.

B: anyone who holds it can at least try to control it.
    I like that idea too. But catching that thing as it whips around Diana and blocks attacks, trips people, etc., should be no easy feat either.

I got a bias though. I kinda want to see Diana's raw physical power brought down and her skill, utility, and gear brought up, and using the lasso more, in different ways, is part of that balance. I wrote a whole thing about it in the "controversial opinions" thread that, amazingly, people generally didn't hate. It's not de-powering her, it's making her power her own, instead of a reflection of Clark's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

WW's lasso should be used more stylistically; except for the animated versions; the movie use is meh, and not stylistic enough that kids would want to imitate it as a trend.

Fantastic Member

I'm also not too excited of WW lassoing lightning if that is the case.it's pretty stupid because the lightning goes so fast and by the time she swings that thing it would be gone...

So.....you want the lasso used stylistically, doing cool looking stuff that kids will latch onto and love and you think the movies haven't gotten crazy enough with it......

But you don't want it catching lightning, arguably the coolest thing the lasso has ever been seen doing? And you're calling BS on a woman with super speed, who's fast enough to catch bullets at point blank range and has direct connections to the Greek gods, including the sky god Zeus, being able to predict where lightning will strike and being quick enough to lasso it?

You have drawn a very curious line in the sand my friend.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

This might be a little to on the nose, but the lasso as a tool of truth could be used to good effect to comment on today's society and its fracture lines.

Take the slogan "All lives matter". But the clincher to that it is a lie—because to the people saying it black lives doesn't matter. Have a short one-off where that is a key element, as Diana confronts a group of white people opposing a Black Lives Matter manifestation.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Using the lasso should require some form of learned skill and concentration while using it, maybe not to the degree of a Lantern Ring or a Thor’s Hammer but enough that any Dick or Jane who gets their hands can’t use it. Maybe even make using it successfully a part of the contest to determine who becomes Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    This might be a little to on the nose, but the lasso as a tool of truth could be used to good effect to comment on today's society and its fracture lines.

Take the slogan "All lives matter". But the clincher to that it is a lie—because to the people saying it black lives doesn't matter. Have a short one-off where that is a key element, as Diana confronts a group of white people opposing a Black Lives Matter manifestation.
    Or, well finding out both sides are wrong? The one thing worse than being "oppressed by the man" is being lied to about who is oppressing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    One of the ideas I've always liked is that the lasso is a magical, unbreakable rope, but only in Diana's hands does it function properly. Diana is the necessary 'translator' for the lasso's full power.
    While that is one possible route to take on how to handle the lasso, I'm not sure it's the most interesting or fruitful approach. I prefer something like the approach in the Golden Age stories, where the Lasso is entrusted to Diana, because she will use it responsibly (for some values of responsibly).

The lasso is really another part of Wonder Woman's mythos that is really open-ended.

Is being able to use it limited to Diana, or is she just "better" able to use it than other people due to practice and her other abilities?

Is it the Golden Age BDSM-themed Magic Lasso or the modern Lasso of Truth?

How does other people view the lasso, either allies, enemies, or innocent bystanders? Are they scared of it, or envious, or want it for themselves?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

I definitely think this wretched, "post-truth," "I'll believe whatever convenient 'facts' support my bias" culture could definitely open up some intriguing ideas for the lasso and Diana. Some really fascinating stuff to pull out of that.

But god damn, that's a fine line to walk right now. I feel like you'd need a writer willing and able to do some legit research and set their own opinions aside. And you'd probably just piss everyone off even if you did it well. People don't want to hear truth right now, they want to hear what they are already saying themselves.

For example, if I wrote "not all cops are racist but we really gotta fix the problems in the system" I'm sure I'll instantly piss off people here for claiming some of the thousands of cops in America aren't racist. Admit it, you people are angry at me now (don't worry, I don't care)! And if I wrote "black lives matter but the Black Lives Matter organization has encouraged violence against innocent people, so I don't support the organization while still supporting the overall movement" I'll piss off everyone else.

But both of those statements are true.

People right now, it's all or nothing with them. There's no room for shades of gray or rationality or self-reflection; you're either all in with the hivemind or you're completely against it; you can no longer agree with some parts and disagree with others. Party loyalty first, logic and common sense a distant second.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-23-2020 at 07:11 PM.

~ Black Panther.

One idea I had was that maybe the lasso could also match the personality of the user. In superfriends I remember how it almost seems alive at times.