Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Do writers hate Hank Pym Ant-Man?

For the past 4 years he's been Ultron Pym and recently put in prison for Tony Stark? Is it just laziness? Do they not think that Hank can't be forgiven or redeemed from hitting his wife? It's sad to think when Ant-Man is brought up isn't fellow adventure, or a hero from one of his solo story arcs. It's HANK PYM ANT-MAN: Wife beater and creator of Ultron. If Tony can find redemption from losing his company and turning away from alcohol why not Hank? And it's interesting that Peter also hit Mary Jane once but he got off scott free and unscathed.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Almost every hero has done as bad or worse than Hank hitting Jan 9ne time in the middle of a breakdown, but Hank is the only one treated like garbage. Hell Iron Man murdered Yellowjacket 2 and Luna's nanny in cold blood. But that has never been brought up once.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    For the past 4 years he's been Ultron Pym and recently put in prison for Tony Stark? Is it just laziness? Do they not think that Hank can't be forgiven or redeemed from hitting his wife? It's sad to think when Ant-Man is brought up isn't fellow adventure, or a hero from one of his solo story arcs. It's HANK PYM ANT-MAN: Wife beater and creator of Ultron. If Tony can find redemption from losing his company and turning away from alcohol why not Hank? And it's interesting that Peter also hit Mary Jane once but he got off scott free and unscathed.
    I agree that writers fall back on that a lot with Pym. Writers have tried to move past it, but another comes along and brings it write back up. I also don't think Peter should have got off as easy as he did. It was atrocious what Peter did. MJ was even pregnant at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Almost every hero has done as bad or worse than Hank hitting Jan 9ne time in the middle of a breakdown, but Hank is the only one treated like garbage. Hell Iron Man murdered Yellowjacket 2 and Luna's nanny in cold blood. But that has never been brought up once.
    It's not brought up because he was influenced by Kang and acquitted for the crimes and writers have chosen to leave it like that.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 12-26-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Hell Iron Man murdered Yellowjacket 2 and Luna's nanny in cold blood. But that has never been brought up once.
    When did these two happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In Iron Man books going into this event called The Crossing.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

During Secret Invasion, the idea was floated around to make Skrull Hank go much farther, to the point that he was the one in the old mental breakdown story, not Hank. This idea was shot down because that would've orbitally nuked the character. And that's what writers actually think. It gets brought up so often because it's the psychology and mistakes that make him interesting and dramatic. I would hope that adult writers don't actually have any feelings of malice towards someone who doesn't literally exist in their reality.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

One of the best Avengers stories is constantly referred to and is important, unlike one of the absolute worst, yes.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

No writer hates him. I assume they wanted him off the board so that they could match the movies with Scott in the suit.

There's been a Pymtron story every year by like three different writers, so I think it's really just that there is no one high up on the ladder pulling really hard for the character to come back (an inevitable symptom of downsizing the Avengers line and giving the Pym family less relevance to it), or there is already a plan in place for him to come back (plans are made in advance) so some others want their shot at the Pymtron concept before it goes away. Dan Slott already wrote a glorified Hank Pym solo, he probably didn't put Pymtron in his story which featured Jocasta and Wasp to put some disrespek on Hank's name.

Let's step outside of the superhero genre a moment, and consider something: do many domestic abusers (serious ones, not slapstick comedy ones) get the priviledge of a redemption arc or getting away with lame excuses? Pym is already fortunate enough as it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    No writer hates him. I assume they wanted him off the board so that they could match the movies with Scott in the suit.
    That doesn't quite make sense, Hank is still a major part of the Ant-Man movies, despite Scott being the protagonist most everything that happens is because of Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Let's step outside of the superhero genre a moment, and consider something: do many domestic abusers (serious ones, not slapstick comedy ones) get the priviledge of a redemption arc or getting away with lame excuses? Pym is already fortunate enough as it is.
    Hank's not even a domestic abuser though, he accidentally hit Janet once during a breakdown, a breakdown that at time she was using to manipulate him, so I don't see why that needs to shadow his character as if he was savagely beating her on a daily basis, why that needs to be the thing everyone emphasizes about him over his years of being a hero and putting his life on the line for other people.
    Somehow this is treated as worse than creating Ultron for god's sake, it's ridiculous that people will not let man move on, but characters like Magneto get to be forgiven for the numerous atrocities he's committed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    That doesn't quite make sense, Hank is still a major part of the Ant-Man movies, despite Scott being the protagonist most everything that happens is because of Hank.

Hank's not even a domestic abuser though, he accidentally hit Janet once during a breakdown.
    abuse doesn't always take the form of physical violence. it can be verbal. it can be intimidation tactics. it can be gaslighting.

why are people even bringing this up, now? it's not like the character hasn't had plenty of opportunity to shine (Avengers A.I and Mighty Avengers). i'd like to remind everyone that Janet has still not had a solo book.

He's a background character in a film that should have been about him.

Hank's not even a domestic abuser though, he accidentally hit Janet once during a breakdown, a breakdown that at time she was using to manipulate him, so I don't see why that needs to shadow his character as if he was savagely beating her on a daily basis, why that needs to be the thing everyone emphasizes about him over his years of being a hero and putting his life on the line for other people.
    Somehow this is treated as worse than creating Ultron for god's sake, it's ridiculous that people will not let man move on, but characters like Magneto get to be forgiven for the numerous atrocities he's committed.
    That basically ammounts to "that domestic abuse scene was not really domestic abuse because...". And, again, can you mention other domestic abusers in fiction, beyond the superhero genre, that were benefited by such retcons?

As for Ultron and Magneto, there's a difference. An AI that goes rogue and destroys the world, or a war between regular humans and people with superpowers, is purely science fiction stuff. Domestic abuse exists in the real world, the world were readers live, so of course that it is more heinous, in-universe scale be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    While yes, Peter and Reed have hit their wives; the context was different and, unlike Hank, they were not so blank a canvas that ‘mentally disturbed wife-beater’ became their hat.
    In those cases the main reason there isn't such a backlash against them is because, unlike Pym's, they had never been domestic abuse cases in the narrative sense. They were just side events of other stories, that only turn out that way if you analyze what you read and then realize "wait a moment, did X just happened?". Peter's story was about who was the clone, and Reed was an example of the "Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!" trope. The Pym case, on the other hand, has been openly treated as a story of domestic abuse from the start.

For an analogous case, nobody (other than fans devoted to details) really thinks that Luke Skywalker commited incest in "Return of the Jedi", because you only know they are siblings in the next film, and they did not had a romance anyway. On the other hand, Emperor Commodus from "Gladiator"does openly try to force his sister to it, and it was deliberate in the narration (in that case, for the purpose of making the audience root against him).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Yes, it is a given that marvel comics want the comics to reflect the movies as much as possible...which is, to me, awful.

Ant-Man Hank Pym | Marvel 101