Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Do writers hate Hank Pym Ant-Man?

For the past 4 years he's been Ultron Pym and recently put in prison for Tony Stark? Is it just laziness? Do they not think that Hank can't be forgiven or redeemed from hitting his wife? It's sad to think when Ant-Man is brought up isn't fellow adventure, or a hero from one of his solo story arcs. It's HANK PYM ANT-MAN: Wife beater and creator of Ultron. If Tony can find redemption from losing his company and turning away from alcohol why not Hank? And it's interesting that Peter also hit Mary Jane once but he got off scott free and unscathed.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Almost every hero has done as bad or worse than Hank hitting Jan 9ne time in the middle of a breakdown, but Hank is the only one treated like garbage. Hell Iron Man murdered Yellowjacket 2 and Luna's nanny in cold blood. But that has never been brought up once.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    For the past 4 years he's been Ultron Pym and recently put in prison for Tony Stark? Is it just laziness? Do they not think that Hank can't be forgiven or redeemed from hitting his wife? It's sad to think when Ant-Man is brought up isn't fellow adventure, or a hero from one of his solo story arcs. It's HANK PYM ANT-MAN: Wife beater and creator of Ultron. If Tony can find redemption from losing his company and turning away from alcohol why not Hank? And it's interesting that Peter also hit Mary Jane once but he got off scott free and unscathed.
    I agree that writers fall back on that a lot with Pym. Writers have tried to move past it, but another comes along and brings it write back up. I also don't think Peter should have got off as easy as he did. It was atrocious what Peter did. MJ was even pregnant at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Almost every hero has done as bad or worse than Hank hitting Jan 9ne time in the middle of a breakdown, but Hank is the only one treated like garbage. Hell Iron Man murdered Yellowjacket 2 and Luna's nanny in cold blood. But that has never been brought up once.
    It's not brought up because he was influenced by Kang and acquitted for the crimes and writers have chosen to leave it like that.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 12-26-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Hell Iron Man murdered Yellowjacket 2 and Luna's nanny in cold blood. But that has never been brought up once.
    When did these two happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When did these two happen?
    In Iron Man books going into this event called The Crossing.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

During Secret Invasion, the idea was floated around to make Skrull Hank go much farther, to the point that he was the one in the old mental breakdown story, not Hank. This idea was shot down because that would've orbitally nuked the character. And that's what writers actually think. It gets brought up so often because it's the psychology and mistakes that make him interesting and dramatic. I would hope that adult writers don't actually have any feelings of malice towards someone who doesn't literally exist in their reality.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

One of the best Avengers stories is constantly referred to and is important, unlike one of the absolute worst, yes.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

No writer hates him. I assume they wanted him off the board so that they could match the movies with Scott in the suit.

There's been a Pymtron story every year by like three different writers, so I think it's really just that there is no one high up on the ladder pulling really hard for the character to come back (an inevitable symptom of downsizing the Avengers line and giving the Pym family less relevance to it), or there is already a plan in place for him to come back (plans are made in advance) so some others want their shot at the Pymtron concept before it goes away. Dan Slott already wrote a glorified Hank Pym solo, he probably didn't put Pymtron in his story which featured Jocasta and Wasp to put some disrespek on Hank's name.

Let's step outside of the superhero genre a moment, and consider something: do many domestic abusers (serious ones, not slapstick comedy ones) get the priviledge of a redemption arc or getting away with lame excuses? Pym is already fortunate enough as it is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Let's step outside of the superhero genre a moment, and consider something: do many domestic abusers (serious ones, not slapstick comedy ones) get the priviledge of a redemption arc or getting away with lame excuses? Pym is already fortunate enough as it is.
    I have to agree with this. A history of Domestic abuse, or even the accusation of it, is something that sticks to a person no matter what they do, even if it’s only in the form of people* talking out of both sides of their face and whispering/side-eying behind their back.

While yes, Peter and Reed have hit their wives; the context was different and, unlike Hank, they were not so blank a canvas that ‘mentally disturbed wife-beater’ became their hat.

I think it might have been better to reveal the Skrulls replaced Pym sometime between creating Ultron and the breakdown; if only to do commentary on how Marvel has changed between then and the events of Secret Invasion; but we all know it wouldn’t stick (and I’m pretty sure it’s canon that, in the course of arrogantly self-medicating his bipolar condition and exposing himself to mind-altering chemicals, Hank was at least gaslighting Jan before Ultron)

* often the same people who’ll publicly throw the actual victim under the bus

he's not Ant-Man. not even sure why you put 'Ant-Man' in the title. but i definitely hate him.

I don't think they hate him per say.

But I think they just sort of gave up on trying to fix him. He had decades being in this endless cycle of fixing him only for someone to come along and break him again. After a certain point, you stop swimming against the tide and just go with it.

They "fixed" him at the end of the original breakdown story by making him a more interesting and nuanced character. He doesn't need fixing, he needs to come back to life.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I have to agree with this. A history of Domestic abuse, or even the accusation of it, is something that sticks to a person no matter what they do, even if it’s only in the form of people* talking out of both sides of their face and whispering/side-eying behind their back.

While yes, Peter and Reed have hit their wives; the context was different and, unlike Hank, they were not so blank a canvas that ‘mentally disturbed wife-beater’ became their hat.

I think it might have been better to reveal the Skrulls replaced Pym sometime between creating Ultron and the breakdown; if only to do commentary on how Marvel has changed between then and the events of Secret Invasion; but we all know it wouldn’t stick (and I’m pretty sure it’s canon that, in the course of arrogantly self-medicating his bipolar condition and exposing himself to mind-altering chemicals, Hank was at least gaslighting Jan before Ultron)

* often the same people who’ll publicly throw the actual victim under the bus
    I feel like that is the crux of it. It's become Hank Pym's "defining moment" for so long it's kind of too late to go and do reconstruction of his character. It's likely the reason Scott was chosen to be the Ant Man in the live action adaptation; there's far less baggage to the character. It's like how Mar-Vell at this point is known more for as dying from cancer, so it's way too late to put that genie back in the bottle.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.