Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Now I'm just imagining the sun clocking out, driving home and putting his feet up. :P

What I meant was it probably drains but not super quickly.
    Surely it would be sundialling out rather than clocking...?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Surely it would be sundialling out rather than clocking...?
    Ok. You win. :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Starlight, Starbright
    Superman doesn't like it's reddish sight
    Cuz then it steals all of his might.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    But he's also been dropped by a quick burst of red solar radiation from Amazo. I suppose trying to determine Clark's durability in terms of how he holds up under those circumstances is...hard to nail down?
    We could look at it like we look at his speed- Superman gets tagged by Lex Luthor and Batman but he also blitzes Wonder Woman and races Jay Garrick.

Similarly there are a number of high end performances against red stars and kryptonite compared to small bursts or a single rock taking him down

As far as normal stars go, it's hard to peg performances for superman- yes hes been inside stars but as noted the stuff powers him up too . Setting aside things that are compared to black holes and such (as opposed to actual cosmic black holes), of which he has a few , I think some of these performances may be noteworthy

He flies through a worm hole in space (which could be interpreted as a black hole) while specifically talking about "a deadly astronomical event" and "gravitational stresses" which would have killed his weaker pre- death self
    https://i.postimg.cc/x8T94vgy/image.jpg

While recreating the core of the earth with Ray Palmer's tech, Ray notes hes withstanding the pressure/ gravitational pull of the whole planet ,while assessing the situation from fortress of solitude tech
    https://i.postimg.cc/sgK4FsVY/image.jpg

Is at the centre of a machine/temple that is visibly tearing splitting the planet in two like a cell and he specifically compares that to being at the centre of the star
    https://i.postimg.cc/90c4bwvy/image.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/wMF1GTpZ/image.jpg
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 12-30-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Just to note, the "gravitational pull of an entire planet" doesn't actually mean much.

I mean, we experience the entire gravitational pull of the earth every day. Being closer to the centre of the earth doesn't change the effect of said gravity either. Gravity isn't actually a very strong force, it's just a consistent one.

Being fine under the pressure (as distinct from "gravitational pull") of the centre of the earth (around 3.6 million atmospheres) is a very good feat but gravity doesn't make a difference to that.

Just to note, because I think Arby might have expressed it poorly, the gravity on a neutron star is absolutely ridiculous. Like, take our sun. The sun has 28 times the gravity of earth.

The gravity on a neutron star is usually around 200 billion times stronger than the gravity on earth.

So, for example: let's say your body weighs about 200 lbs. While standing on the sun, your body would weigh about 2.5 tons in total. Now, amusingly this isn't actually instant death. Apparently the world record for the highest level of gravitational force withstood was 46.2 Gs. This was only maintained for a matter of seconds and any longer would definitely have been fatal. In a gravitational field, wherein it is consistent, you would die in short order as your body would not be able to pump blood up into your brain, your organs would rupture and your bones would break under the stress of trying to support your body.

Now, on a neutron star, your body would weigh some... doing the maths roughly here... 20 trillion tons. I don't think I need to get into what happens to a human body under that kind of gravitational force but just imagine a puddle an you've pretty much got the picture.

Just to chip in on black holes; black holes are, by definition more intense than a neutron star because they are what happens when a neutron star becomes too dense and makes a strong enough gravitational field to trap light itself. If a character can survive going into a black hole then being on a neutron star should not be a problem for them.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Also, neutron stars are literally around 100 times hotter than the surface of our sun.

So, the Hulk would have a pretty shitty time.

I mean, we experience the entire gravitational pull of the earth every day. Being closer to the centre of the earth doesn't change the effect of said gravity either. Gravity isn't actually a very strong force, it's just a consistent one.
    I guess being nearer to the center of mass would help, what with gravity getting weaker with distance, although the distance is probably negligible on a cosmic scale

From a more comic book science-ey point of view this happens after Mxyzptlk removes gravity and the earth starts falling apart.

https://i.postimg.cc/6qq9tSb1/image.jpg

The writer's implication seems to be that superman is at the centre of the planet when a force is being exerted to put back together the whole thing , rather like a "Hulk pulling back together Skaar" kind of thing

Basically the two non-wormhole feats can be read as superman being at the centre of forces tearing apart the planet and centre of forces putting back together the planet , so basically planet busting stuff

Whether planetary durability is enough to tank a neutron star is another thing

Do neutron stars emit gamma radiation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Do neutron stars emit gamma radiation?
    Yes. Along with a bunch of other types.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

So then Superman would likely be powered up by gamma ray's because its commonly emitted from stars.

?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    So then Superman would likely be powered up by gamma ray's because its commonly emitted from stars.

?
    Seems to be just yellow spectrum light/photons.

Edit: Y'know, except for when it's not. Hes absorbed energy from the Earth's core and an "anti sun" heart before. So whatevs. Rule of Cool and all that.
    - big_adventure

Looks like Cronus was just preempting the argument Ptrvc was looking to make, really.

Which ... even factoring in that absorption (assuming it's been something he's been ruled capable of hereabouts); it's not instantaneously going to allow him to survive literally everything else that the neutron star is going to do to him ... and at the very least not fast enough to keep him from dying.

So either way you wanna go with it, Hulk ain't the strongest one there is, here.

Neutron Star is.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Also, I'd like to posit that:

Is the personality of the personified neutron star.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Looks like Cronus was just preempting the argument Ptrvc was looking to make, really.

Which ... even factoring in that absorption (assuming it's been something he's been ruled capable of hereabouts); it's not instantaneously going to allow him to survive literally everything else that the neutron star is going to do to him ... and at the very least not fast enough to keep him from dying.

So either way you wanna go with it, Hulk ain't the strongest one there is, here.

Neutron Star is.
    RIP my sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    When I read the OP title before clicking, my first thought was that this was an arena match between Hulk and a humanoid being whose body was a neutron star. Sort of like how we do the math for Jupiter Gorilla, what would the math be for this character, Neutron Star Man?

Too lazy myself to even try, but if anyone works it out, it would be interesting to see what kind of power levels are there. Whichever characters can beat NSM become part of a very exclusive club.

The difference being that NSM doesn't just have to be endured, he's actually hitting his opponent, etc, whatever else he might be expected to do.
    NeutroniumGolem1.JPG
    Last edited by Farealmer; 12-31-2019 at 07:59 PM.