Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Rumour: A Third Wave of Job Cuts for DC & WB in The New Year?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/thir...omics-warners/

Bleeding Cool have claimed there will be a third wave of job cuts by AT&T that will hit Warner Bros and DC in the New Year following the last two waves in August and November of this year respectively. Take with a generous pinch of salt since it's another Bleeding Cool rumour that hasn't been verified. If it does turn out to be true though, this is not a great look for DC given their streamlined lineup of titles in March and there's a worrying focus on comic book characters that have IP adaptations in the mass media. Personally, I was done with DC's current line when I saw how disappointing March's solicits were for me, but what do you guys think of this rumour?

Spectacular Member

I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T eventually gives up the comics division and licenses the ip to other publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post

Bleeding Cool have claimed there will be a third wave of job cuts by AT&T that will hit Warner Bros and DC in the New Year following the last two waves in August and November of this year respectively. Take with a generous pinch of salt since it's another Bleeding Cool rumour that hasn't been verified. If it does turn out to be true though, this is not a great look for DC given their streamlined lineup of titles in March and there's a worrying focus on comic book characters that have IP adaptations in the mass media. Personally, I was done with DC's current line when I saw how disappointing March's solicits were for me, but what do you guys think of this rumour?
    If it's true, AT&T is the worse thing to happen to DC.
    Not saying that it will mean the end of DC, but it will end with DC publishing just Batman, related books and maybe superman.
    That said, the reduced number of titles for March, can mean a third wave of job cuts in the pipeline is probable.

I hope more people don't lose their job in 2021.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Given the last two rumors of job cuts turned out to be true, this sounds like it could be legit. Which is worrisome. I don't think AT&T wants to be in the publishing business. If that's the case, we could see the abolition of the comics division within a year. Remember, this is the same company that wanted to put all their new movies for next year on streaming alongside theaters and were only talked out of it by threatened lawsuits from the production companies. Jenkins says she'll only do another WW movie if it will be in theaters first. And Legendary threatened to sue to keep Dune in theaters. I don't think DC has that kind of leverage.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Given the last two rumors of job cuts turned out to be true, this sounds like it could be legit. Which is worrisome. I don't think AT&T wants to be in the publishing business. If that's the case, we could see the abolition of the comics division within a year. Remember, this is the same company that wanted to put all their new movies for next year on streaming alongside theaters and were only talked out of it by threatened lawsuits from the production companies. Jenkins says she'll only do another WW movie if it will be in theaters first. And Legendary threatened to sue to keep Dune in theaters. I don't think DC has that kind of leverage.
    the reduced number of books in March points in that direction.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They tried to sell off WB Games which is one of their profitable division, nothing is safe in the eyes of AT&T.

This feels like the first time you could say “DC is dying” without it being hyperbole. Seriously we may be down to just Superman, Batman, and WW soon. Who is even left to cut at this point without just outright shuttering DC?

Well, this is what happens when an entertainment company is bought by a telephone company.

The Disney buyout helped Marvel in the sense that at least they have a common sensibility since both are in the entertainment business. I know that Disney doesn't give a fig about publishing, but at least there haven't been the massive layoffs at Marvel -- even with the COVID layoffs that have hit other Disney divisions like theme parks.

All our lives we comics fans have wanted our hobby to be noticed/accepted by the general public. Now that this has happened, we're seeing the "be careful what you wish for" axiom in full effect. Comics don't matter to anyone in the business world. It's just the IP they care about for the more lucrative TV/movie/streaming businesses.

I'm sure comics will continue to be printed -- to maintain the trademarks in the printed matter product class if nothing else. However, that doesn't mean that there has to be a DC publishing company. Once DC's bookstore initiatives take hold, it can be spun off as a separate company to a children's book publisher under license from WarnerMeida. The characters can also be licensed to Image or IDW for the comic store market with script/art approval by the WarnerMedia licensing division which could be expanded by a handful of people specializing in DC licenses. This is basically how Disney does comics publishing with their Mouse/Duck characters. Also, it's how other IP companies work -- e.g. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Conan Properties, etc.

Who knows? Without DC's dopey top down editorial initiatives getting in the way, we might actually get really good STORIES out of this instead of endless reboots, gimmicks, and sales stunts.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 12-26-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This feels like the first time you could say “DC is dying” without it being hyperbole. Seriously we may be down to just Superman, Batman, and WW soon. Who is even left to cut at this point without just outright shuttering DC?
    Yeah, I don't think the company can really take another bloodbath. It's one thing to get all the old blood with big contracts out, it's another to just keep blanket firing people. How do people make the kinds of decisions that put them in this much crippling debt without being fired themselves? Baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post

Catastrophic if true. AT&T is downsizing hard to avoid loss and yet they put all their DC eggs in the Snyder basket when his last two movies didn't meet expectations. It's weird, to be frank. @Ascended, you're the guy on here with actual business acumen. What do you make of this, dude?

AT&T buying Time Warner will be one of the worst things to ever happen to DC Comics. People flamed me for saying I wished Disney had bought DC from Warner but they'd be in a much better place if they did

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    AT&T buying Time Warner will be one of the worst things to ever happen to DC Comics. People flamed me for saying I wished Disney had bought DC from Warner but they'd be in a much better place if they did
    They would be but it would give Disney too much monopoly over the entertainment industry. Surely, there were other better options than AT&T but it's a done deal now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The Department of Justice tried to stop the AT&T merger, but US District Judge, Richard Leon, pushed it through. He’s known as one of the worst judges in Washington. A pro business and damn the consequences judge. Probably not a great idea to let a company that is $190 billion in debt take part in a massive merger like this. So many people have been fired and had their lives ruined because of this decision. Hopefully DC isn’t another casualty.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-26-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Catastrophic if true. AT&T is downsizing hard to avoid loss and yet they put all their DC eggs in the Snyder basket when his last two movies didn't meet expectations. It's weird, to be frank. @Ascended, you're the guy on here with actual business acumen. What do you make of this, dude?
    That is what gets me the most. You axing folks but investing in a movie because a certain part of the fandom would not let it go?

While Supergirl and Black Lightening fans see their shows get the ax? With an odd choice in spinoff of Pain Killer who has been dead in comics 20+ years?

You could have used whatever footage you had and ran it. Do what they did with Dr Who Shada-have commentary on missing scenes. Heck animate those scenes.

And you can't say it's an attempt to get more HBO Max folks when you are giving it away to folks who sign up for certain AT&T promotions.

I know that Disney doesn't give a fig about publishing, but at least there haven't been the massive layoffs at Marvel -- even with the COVID layoffs that have hit other Disney divisions like theme parks.
    I think at Disney a lot of folks left on their own to Image and other places or had other jobs in Disney on shows.

Also Disney has IDW tossing out Disney and Marvel stuff as well.

This nonstop butchering has got to stop.

50 Batman and Superman books is not going to get you $150 Billion. All you are doing is alienating everyone else. It's one thing to get your behind kicked by Marvel but it's another thing when Image, Ahoy and others are joining in because your former fans got hooked by them.

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."