Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,069

    Default Rorschach #2 Discussion/Spoilers

    Okay, this story took a twist that I wasn't expecting.

    Tom King brings a new chapter and, while the first one didn't leave a real impression about where the title was going, this one is much clearer. First of all, you must know about Steve Ditko, the creator of several comic characters over the years including Spider-Man, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) and especially both The Question and Mr. A, the latter two were heroes that heavily inspired Alan Moore in the creation of Rorschach. Why is this important? Well, because in this same issue we're introduced to an artist named William Myerson who has a huge resemblance to Ditko, particularly how he lived the latter years of his life mostly in reclusion after the problems he had with comic companies concerning his creations and he even created a character called The Citizen who, of course, is very similar to both The Question and Rorschach, and his stories were depicted in a manner how he appeared in the Mr. A black and white comics. I should have expected this from King after Mister Miracle but still the appearance of a comic creator in story still really surprised me.

    Mind you, King also takes a few twists with the plot including Myerson's failed relationship with a woman he date and whose new husband maked fun of him for years because of it which leads to the inclusion of Rorschach into the conflict, something that implies that there's even a bigger mystery going on here than I initially thought. Things are reaching a supernatural level now.

    Jorge Fornes handles the art and his style is perfect for the story due to how much of a classic tone he has, he kinda even makes young Myerson look like Peter Parker which I don't think is much of a reach concerning all the themes going on.

    Great read, invested now.

  2. #2
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    904

    Default

    I just flipped through, it was extremely boring. And I rather enjoyed the first episode. And then to have a clone of Steve Ditko, who would surely have hated Tom King and the way he's stealing someone else's work, is quite ironic. It lacks a bit of class. But it's not surprising either, for some time now Tom King has been sorely lacking in class towards his colleagues.
    Last edited by lordozone; 11-17-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I just flipped through, it was extremely boring. And I rather enjoyed the first episode. And then to have a clone of Steve Ditko, who would surely have hated Tom King and the way he's stealing someone else's work, is quite ironic. It lacks a bit of class. But it's not surprising either, for some time now Tom King has been sorely lacking in class towards his colleagues.
    Tom King isn't "stealing" anything. DC has gone back to the Watchmen material numerous times since the original series. If King didn't do this series DC would have just hired someone else to do it.
    Last Read: DCeased

    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman/Superman, Daredevil, The Flash, Legion of Superheroes, Runaways, Strange Adventures, Superman, We Only Find Them When They're Dead

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Tom King isn't "stealing" anything. DC has gone back to the Watchmen material numerous times since the original series. If King didn't do this series DC would have just hired someone else to do it.
    "If I didn't do it someone else would have done it" has never been a good excuse to commit an immoral act. Anyway, I'm not Alan Moore's great defender either, he's big enough to do it on his own. It was just the use of Steve Ditko, in this particular work, that I didn't think was very appropriate.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    "If I didn't do it someone else would have done it" has never been a good excuse to commit an immoral act. Anyway, I'm not Alan Moore's great defender either, he's big enough to do it on his own. It was just the use of Steve Ditko, in this particular work, that I didn't think was very appropriate.
    I'd hardly consider this an "immoral act."

    The Ditko thing I can't speak to as he's not around to say one way or the other. Did he object to his image being used before he passed? If so then, yes, it wasn't a wise move on King's part.
    Last Read: DCeased

    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman/Superman, Daredevil, The Flash, Legion of Superheroes, Runaways, Strange Adventures, Superman, We Only Find Them When They're Dead

  6. #6
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,069

    Default

    Apparently homages are considered immoral acts now.

    Man, the whole comic history is full of those terrible acts now that I think about it.

  7. #7
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Apparently homages are considered immoral acts now.

    Man, the whole comic history is full of those terrible acts now that I think about it.
    I'm talking about the use of Watchmen characters. It has always shocked me a little bit, and yes I think it's a little immoral when you know how hard this job is as a creator, to go against the wishes of a man who has clearly stated that he has been ripped off by DC and be against the use of his story by others without his consent. But hey, that doesn't stop me from reading Rorsach and the other Watchmen stories, so I'm a total hypocrite myself in this case For the "hommage" I just say that it seems to me, in this context, inappropriate, not immoral.
    Last edited by lordozone; 11-17-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

  8. #8

    Default

    I liked it and thought it was good. I wonder if this would've been better off as a smaller miniseries than 12 issues.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    to go against the wishes of a man who has clearly stated that he has been ripped off by DC and be against the use of his story by others without his consent.
    It's hard for me to feel sympathetic for Moore not being OK with his characters being used when those characters themselves were ripped off from Charlton Comics characters that DC owned.

    In hindsight, yeah, the deal Moore made with DC isn't a good deal. But neither party knew when that deal was signed how big Watchmen would become.
    Last Read: DCeased

    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman/Superman, Daredevil, The Flash, Legion of Superheroes, Runaways, Strange Adventures, Superman, We Only Find Them When They're Dead

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •