Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I wouldn't blame this on WB entirely. The reason for the meddling was because what Snyder was doing wasn't good, and wasn't performing well financially. People can say what they want about Man of Steel's box office, but when your competition is taking C level heroes like Iron Man, knocking it out the park with them, and showing you up, despite you having the most famous superhero in the world, it's going to make you think at least a little...
    Yah this is exactly what I am saying too...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He loses his temper a grand total of twice in the movies. And the "brooding" is mostly just being neutral in expression. Just because you aren't smiling and laughing all the time doesn't mean you;re dying inside. Believe it or not, there is a middle ground.
    It just comes down to the overall tone of the movie
    Synder does a dark and brooding tone throughout the movie.

Personally I like supermen waving, smiling, being happy and really friendly... it just requires an actor with more charisma and charm...

I really feel superman hasn't been cast correctly... or the director doesnt understand that superman is generally light hearted and confident...

Otherwise he doesnt contrast well against Batman or the villains in general...

I mean all of Synders dc efforts have been accused of overly serious and dry, bland... it's a common critic and is exactly why justice league had reshoots with a more light hearted director...

Not that that saved justice league... especially with it's very bland villian

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I wouldn't blame this on WB entirely. The reason for the meddling was because what Snyder was doing wasn't good, and wasn't performing well financially. People can say what they want about Man of Steel's box office, but when your competition is taking C level heroes like Iron Man, knocking it out the park with them, and showing you up, despite you having the most famous superhero in the world, it's going to make you think at least a little...
    I didn't blame anything on WB entirely, I simply suggested they played a larger part in all of this than most realize. There are far too many people who blame, quite literally, everything on Zack Snyder without even thinking what all was going on behind the scenes.

As far as Man of Steel goes, it made $668 million worldwide in 2013. Which was significantly more than what Superman Returns did 7 years before and remains the unadjusted highest grossing Superman film, IIRC. In 2013, there had only been 4 billion dollar Superhero movies, right? The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3 (and I don't know if it came before/after Man of Steel), and Avengers. Maybe if they would have fleshed out a proper trilogy after MoS, they would have seen a billion dollar Superman film by the second or third installment. We'll never know!

Also, reading the last two pages, I'm going to kindly ask as the creator of this thread (and not being mod, having absolutely no authority to enforce anything - which is why I'm asking nicely) to keep things on track.
    1.) If you want to crap on Snyder - this isn't the thread for it. You can do that anywhere/everywhere else, but this thread was intended to celebrate Zack Snyder and discuss his cut of Justice League.
    2.) Let's try to keep things a little more on topic moving forward, please.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From Snyder's Vero:

Considering all of Snyder's teases in the last year, and the ending of his BvS watch party, my guess is we'll hear an announcement for his cut by summer with a probable release either in the fall or in the spring. I think negotiations have been going on for a while...there's just a lot of legal hurdles to get over, mostly in risiduals (if this is a significantly different movie, do the writers get paid again? What about royalties to the actors, who signed contracts originally for 1 JL film and not 2 versions? Lots to unpack if it's significantly different).

Snyder has hinted at wanting to do additional photography, but I don't know if he'll get it. It may be a case of "we'll pay to finish your VFX but that's it, take it or leave it"...but with WW84 delayed (and let's be honest, no way it actually comes out in August), WB is going to need *something* in 2020 to get them some decent revenue. With Sony's super hero offerings pushed to next year, Black Widow pushed, etc, what better time to put out the Snyder Cut? They'd be the only superhero game in town, and people will want new super hero content. The money to finish VFX is peanuts, and even if they only make ~$150-200 million on VOD, it's almost entirely profit.

Or toss it on HBO Max to reel in subs. I think they'd make more through VOD though.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it's a foregone conclusion at this point that Warner Bros will foot the bill for a Synder Cut. I don't think reshoots are going to happen, but considering the CGI can be finished while social distancing, it's an easy sell for a studio looking at no new releases for months. Aside from the hardcore fans, the morbid curiosity that even the most skeptical people will have means a lot of eyes are going to be on this thing.

Plus, everyone involved in the original Justice League fiasco is no longer running Warner Bros, so no egos need to be protected.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Yea, great points…

Something else to keep in mind with all of this is it's been rebranded by Zack himself (and possibly WB, we aren't sure on that part yet) as "Zack Snyder's Justice League". The merchandise that was previously for sale (via the inktothepeople sales) confirmed this. When that happened, I thought it was fairly eye opening. I don't think Zack would have done that without, at the very least, WB's blessing in writing. I mean, there's just so many possible legal implications with it.

A lot of us have been saying it, but I'd be someone who would sign up for HBO Max for a year on day one if it meant seeing the original version of Justice League. Even if nothing else comes out of it (which I'm 99% certain we will not), it'll be a nice way to "close out" what Snyder was originally trying to accomplish in telling his ancient mythos versions of these characters.

Harry Lennix (Colonel Swanwick) was interviewed recently and he said he learned about him being Martian Manhunter the same way all of us did: through seeing Snyder's storyboards. He said something like he thought Zack was going to surprise him before filming (which he wasn't able to do before Zack left the project). The good news: he said he'd gladly film whatever scenes he could for Zack. The link is out there for anyone to search for it and fact check me.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it's a foregone conclusion at this point that Warner Bros will foot the bill for a Synder Cut. I don't think reshoots are going to happen, but considering the CGI can be finished while social distancing, it's an easy sell for a studio looking at no new releases for months. Aside from the hardcore fans, the morbid curiosity that even the most skeptical people will have means a lot of eyes are going to be on this thing.

Plus, everyone involved in the original Justice League fiasco is no longer running Warner Bros, so no egos need to be protected.
    I think your so wrong on this. NO way in hell the WB wants to do anything with the Justice League movie at this point. More than anything they probably want the public to forget it so they can move on. If thye were to dump any money into the non-exsistant Snyder cut it is a lose/lose for them. If it is well recieved (which I doubt it would be) they look stupid for pulling Snyder. If it is a flop they look stupid for dumping money into a dead film. Why would they waste money on this now especially when all the studios are bleeding cash.

"non-existant"? Are people still on this? SMH

facepalm-head.jpg
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

I’m mostly only rooting for this to happen because I think the passion and support from the cast and crew is genuinely admirable. Plus while I think BvS was terrible, the extended edition was an improvement. It still sucked but it was better. Plus it’s hard to see anything be worse than Cavill’s cgi face. Still not expecting a good movie (could be blown away but doubt it) but I can see it going from bad to passable.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 04-14-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think your so wrong on this. NO way in hell the WB wants to do anything with the Justice League movie at this point. More than anything they probably want the public to forget it so they can move on. If thye were to dump any money into the non-exsistant Snyder cut it is a lose/lose for them. If it is well recieved (which I doubt it would be) they look stupid for pulling Snyder. If it is a flop they look stupid for dumping money into a dead film. Why would they waste money on this now especially when all the studios are bleeding cash.
    That didn't stop WB from allowing Ridley Scott to do 2 different versions of Blade Runner a film that wasn't a big hit at the time of original theatrical release, but it also took a long time for the film to be re-evaluated by fans and critics and for Scott to rebuild his career from his films being very expensive and under-performing and not being released the way he intended (namely Blade Runner and Legend) and/or being tough shoots like Alien and once he had built up a enough street cred and their was fans that wanted to see his version of Blade Runner he got the director's cut made then got The Final Cut made (which he claims is the definitive edition of it) and WB then re-releases the various versions of Blade Runner in a box set with a 3 hour documentary on the making of the damn thing then they green light a sequel Blade Runner 2049 which gets great critical acclaim but isn't the hit that WB had hoped for.

Now I have NO love for Zack Snyder's DC films I think Man of Steel is absolute 100% trash and speaking as a fan who had been dreaming of a Superman/Batman team up movie since 1989 he killed that dream. So don't expect me to see any version of his DCU trash films because IMHO they suck and if Henry Cavil isn't playing a villain who dies at the end then forget it, Cavil is a lousy actor with the charm of a dead cat and the acting ability of a piece of wood (how this POS keeps getting work is beyond me). But even IF and that is a big if Snyder follows Scott's path to where one day in the future he could one day get to do a director's cut of Justice League but he needs to make some great films that garner both critical acclaim and fans and even then if the film is released I don't think it will live up to the expectations that Zack Snyder himself has set, because even a polished turd is still just a turd.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    It just comes down to the overall tone of the movie
    Synder does a dark and brooding tone throughout the movie.

Personally I like supermen waving, smiling, being happy and really friendly... it just requires an actor with more charisma and charm...

I really feel superman hasn't been cast correctly... or the director doesnt understand that superman is generally light hearted and confident...

Otherwise he doesnt contrast well against Batman or the villains in general...
    1)superman isn't built to contrast batman. He was a strongman vigilante from space who existed before batman came to be. Who fought for people who can't fight for themselves
    2)its true superman is very embodiment of stoic philosophy. Smiling through pain is what the character is about. It's part of the strongman core of the character. But, superman hasn't used as strongman in years. People treat him as messiah who sprouts sermons. Who stands above the very people he fights for with "i am not like you. I will never be like you. Anger and vengeance, so easy"
    3)who says gods are distant and cold? Jesus isn't depicted as cold or distant. Zeus is just big *******. Krishna is darn charismatic.Moses is pretty much a leader. Gods being cold is your own self image of them.furthermore, donner cemented the messiah nonsense in superman. Zack snyder was trying to subvert it.
    "manybe he isn't a devil or jesus figure. He might just be a guy from kansas trying to do the right thing"
    4)do you like clark kent with glasses or the fake clark kent persona? Well, it sounds like you don't. Why? Because he isn't a smiling, charismatic and extroverted charming fellow. He is bumbling, timid,terrified, unsure of himself, introvert. Here, like in postcrisis superman books. There is no persona. Clark kent is superman. Twist is intead of making clark kent/superman extroverted. Snyder made superman alike the fake clumsy persona.
    5)snyder movies have taken inspiration from atleast a dozen superman books. We had discussed that in this very forum
    Birthright,secret origins, byrne man of steel, golden age siegel and shuster origin, for tomorrow, for all seasons... Etc. it goes on and on.

Your other ideas are subjective i won't go into that. Personally, henry cavill looks exactly like postcrisis superman walked of the pages. As for the director, he did better than what geoff johns and joss wheadon did. That portrayal was god awful caricature of a superman. Furthermore, Geoff johns is known only for getting donner superman. He can't write any other superman or get them. Look at what he did to goldenage superman. The real and original superman in infinite crisis. He destroys every other superman he touches and turns them in to "messiahs and northstars". i have said this before and i have say it again "there is no superman without goldenage superman". Every version of the character even the donner superman is derivative of the strongman vigilante from space. The pulpfiction action hero.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-14-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    1) The people who were in change of both Warner Bros and DC Films at the time are all gone, so there are no executive egos to be bruised.

2) The cost of finishing the FX is much lower than the cost of an entirely new film that doesn't have a built in audience clamoring to watch it, irregardless of how good or bad it may end up being, out of genuine enthusiasm, to make fun of it or simply want to see it out of morbid curiosity.

3) The fact that studios are bleeding cash right now is precisely why a new cut of Justice League would be so appealing to Warner Bros. right now because it wouldn't necessarily require any further photography. The Suicide Squad, for instance, has been unaffected because all it's post-production can be done while everyone is quarantined.

4) Releasing Snyder's cut of Justice League is a guaranteed publicity bonanza for all involved, which is exactly what the media wants right now. Snyder fans get to tout it as the greatest film ever (even if it isn't). Haters get to talk about how awful it is (even if it's not). Plus, the current head honchos at Warner Bros. look like they are righting a wrong by respecting the filmmaker's original vision and release an almost entirely "new" movie on their new streaming service featuring some of the world's most popular and profitable characters in history.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

A release of snydercut hbo max would be instant buzz for these guys.the fights between anti and pro snyder crowds will be glorious.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-15-2020 at 01:29 AM.

Spectacular Member

God, I always wondered how Snyder managed to attract so many overzealous and venomous haters. I mean, many films are disliked. Only those with a kind of Snyder Derangement Syndrome act as if it's worst cinema ever made.