Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

What does Martha think about it?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It's difficult to predict what's going to happen here. I believe the reports that Snyder did a test screening of his cut in February, and I also think the rumors are credible that he asked for an additional 20 million to complete the post-production (and whatever addition photography he thinks is absolutely necessary). I can understand the Warner execs being pissed at Snyder for egging on the more zealous fanboys out there, and I can also understand the reluctance to throw even more millions of dollars at a film that's been nothing but a money pit with little return.

That said, I hope Warner Bros pulls the trigger on this thing and uses it to draw eyeballs to whatever streaming service they're trying to launch. I am under no illusions that Snyder's Justice League is going to be a great film, but I think it's a foregone conclusion that it will certainly be an interesting one. Given that the new films are most certainly moving in a different direction, putting a bow on the old DCEU rather than the mishmash of compromises and ridiculousness that the theatrical cut was.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Yes, It Appears The Snyder Cut May Arrive in Some Form on HBO Max: http://dceumythic.com/2020/05/18/yes...rm-on-hbo-max/

Releasing the assembly cut with unfinished VFX might be the best thing for all involved. Snyder's fanbase gets to finally see what they've been clamoring for while the studio doesn't have to pour another 20 million dollars on top of the 300+ million they already spent on this fiasco.

Besides, there will undoubtedly be fans who will devote countless hours to finishing the unfinished VFX themselves. I mean, there's already multiple YouTube videos out that fixed the ridiculous moustache CGI from Whedon's reshoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yes, It Appears The Snyder Cut May Arrive in Some Form on HBO Max: http://dceumythic.com/2020/05/18/yes...rm-on-hbo-max/
    I saw someone of YouTube comment on this supposed recent screening. Apparently it was screen for WB and AT&T execs. We have to remember that AT&T owns WB so they will most likely have the final say. So if AT&T wants it for HBO Max they’ll get it.

I still think $20 million is a lot of money to pump into a movie that has already lost them a ton (money and fan goodwill). But I personally would lose a lot of interest in seeing it if it just has storyboard and unfinished FX for some scenes. So I’m hoping they get to finish it. Really I just want to see Darkseid in live action. We haven’t heard a thing about the New Gods movie in a long time, so who knows when/if that’ll happen.

I personally don’t care about all DC movies fitting together but there are a lot of fans who are obsessed with movieverse continuity (and who can blame them as Marvel has shown a generation of filmgoers the fun in a connected universe). But if Wonder Woman 1984 does indeed have a “Flashpoint moment” that alters the timeline, it can easily explain away any changes that have occurred from the end of Snyder’s Justice League up until the present.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I saw someone of YouTube comment on this supposed recent screening. Apparently it was screen for WB and AT&T execs. We have to remember that AT&T owns WB so they will most likely have the final say. So if AT&T wants it for HBO Max they’ll get it.

I still think $20 million is a lot of money to pump into a movie that has already lost them a ton (money and fan goodwill). But I personally would lose a lot of interest in seeing it if it just has storyboard and unfinished FX for some scenes. So I’m hoping they get to finish it. Really I just want to see Darkseid in live action. We haven’t heard a thing about the New Gods movie in a long time, so who knows when/if that’ll happen.

I personally don’t care about all DC movies fitting together but there are a lot of fans who are obsessed with movieverse continuity (and who can blame them as Marvel has shown a generation of filmgoers the fun in a connected universe). But if Wonder Woman 1984 does indeed have a “Flashpoint moment” that alters the timeline, it can easily explain away any changes that have occurred from the end of Snyder’s Justice League up until the present.
    If they are gonna finish and release it. They would want to recoup the 60 million lose they suffered with theatrical release. So, if they see any potential of getting back those along with assumed figure of 20 million. They will pump money into it. Otherwise, i don't see it happening. The way i see it. The movie would be released if it can make 150 to 170 million revenue,in any form.Even as part of hbo max. That's a double figure.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If they are gonna finish and release it. They would want to recoup the 60 million lose they suffered with theatrical release. So, if they see any potential of getting back those along with assumed figure of 20 million. They will pump money into it. Otherwise, i don't see it happening. The way i see it. The movie would be released if it can make 150 to 170 million revenue,in any form.Even as part of hbo max. That's a double figure.
    I don’t know how they would quantify the money this movie would bring in on HBO Max. Maybe calculate how many subscriptions they had before and after it’s release. They could also release it as a rental I guess. The COVID situation forced Universal to release Trolls World Tour direct to streaming. It made nearly $100 million in rentals which is less than the original Trolls' box office revenue ($153.7 million domestically), but studios keep a bigger share of sales from digital releases than they do from ticket sales so it was considered very profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t know how they would quantify the money this movie would bring in on HBO Max. Maybe calculate how many subscriptions they had before and after it’s release. They could also release it as a rental I guess. The COVID situation forced Universal to release Trolls World Tour direct to streaming. It made nearly $100 million in rentals which is less than the original Trolls' box office revenue ($153.7 million domestically), but studios keep a bigger share of sales from digital releases than they do from ticket sales so it was considered very profitable.
    I have no idea how the corporate bean counters figure out what's profitable and what isn't, but I'm sure it makes no sense whatsoever and has everything to do with larger revenue streams like merchandising, international sales, and whathaveyou. If they think releasing this new cut of the film will generate enough buzz to sell more T-shirts, toys and whatever else, they'll go for it. However, since there's just as likely a chance that this will remind the general audience, who doesn't give a $#!* about any of this stuff, that the DC movies aren't really their cup of tea, then I'm not sure how the cost of putting another 20 million into Justice League is worth it.

I mean, half of the reason that the studio pushed for a lighter tone was because of the backlash against the grim & dour tone of BvS. While it sounds like Snyder did ease up on the darkness, it doesn't sound like the tone was really all that different from what Snyder always delivers, which audiences have been increasingly lukewarm to since the days of 300

Is this correct?

I would just like to see what his final vision was/is.

Well, i liked the extended cut for BvS so i have hope the same can be done for JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Well, i liked the extended cut for BvS so i have hope the same can be done for JL.
    I am in the same boat. I hated the theatrical cut of BvS, but I literally got teared up at the ending of the extended cut. I still had major issues with the film, but I finally understood what Snyder was going for. I hope Justice League will be a similar viewing experience, even though it's clear that film was being meddled with very early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am in the same boat. I hated the theatrical cut of BvS, but I literally got teared up at the ending of the extended cut. I still had major issues with the film, but I finally understood what Snyder was going for. I hope Justice League will be a similar viewing experience, even though it's clear that film was being meddled with very early on.
    There would be goar, though. So,you will need to take that into account. Furthermore, superman wouldn't be like the uber confident dude in the theatrical cut. Just listen to hans zimmer's music for superman. There is quite a range. But,the start is always feels down to earth. I don't think superman will be a boyscout who has the luxury of skipping a fight to rescue a building full of people,even if he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There would be goar, though. So,you will need to take that into account. Furthermore, superman wouldn't be like the uber confident dude in the theatrical cut. Just listen to hans zimmer's music for superman. There is quite a range. But,the start is always feels down to earth. I don't think superman will be a boyscout who has the luxury of skipping a fight to rescue a building full of people,even if he wants to.
    I'm sorry. I don't know what goar means.

As for Superman, I don't think anyone is under the impression that the Snyder Cut's version Superman will be any different than the one they got in MoS or BvS. It's pretty obvious thanks to bad moustache CGI how little of Snyder's Superman survived to the theatrical cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm sorry. I don't know what goar means.

As for Superman, I don't think anyone is under the impression that the Snyder Cut's version Superman will be any different than the one they got in MoS or BvS. It's pretty obvious thanks to bad moustache CGI how little of Snyder's Superman survived to the theatrical cut.
    I meant gore or violence(auto correct. Sorry) . Wonderwoman chops of the head of a steppenwolf and darkseid crushes his head beneath his feet. Superman would just be the introverted, shy, unsure guy in the movie. He might grow more confident due to his new perspective on life after death. But, he would still be the guy that battled zod in an uphill battle.