Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think he's been given the gig to direct one of the ITSV sequels, if I am not mistaken.
    Yes he is .

Too bad we couldn't get him on a Spider-Man cartoon show...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Again, try to remember you're on a comic book message board.

You can just take it for granted that we already know what led Timm to do Batman Beyond. This is not deep dish trivia.

And you certainly don't need to explain what Batman Beyond is.

You can just say "... and that led Timm to do Batman Beyond" and, believe me, we all know exactly what you're talking about.

You don't have to clarify that it's "set decades in the future with an Old Bruce Wayne as a mentor to a new legacy character." WE KNOW.
    Amen. Over explaining things gets old fast on here.

Again, try to remember you're on a comic book message board.

You can just take it for granted that we already know what led Timm to do Batman Beyond. This is not deep dish trivia.

And you certainly don't need to explain what Batman Beyond is.

You can just say "... and that led Timm to do Batman Beyond" and, believe me, we all know exactly what you're talking about.

You don't have to clarify that it's "set decades in the future with an Old Bruce Wayne as a mentor to a new legacy character." WE KNOW.
    I don't think that's fair.

Jack's point fits the comment, building organically from Timm's problems with WB management.

And we shouldn't assume that everyone here is familiar with a cartoon that came out from 1999-2001.

Someone celebrating their 18th birthday was born after the last episode aired.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think that's fair.

Jack's point fits the comment, building organically from Timm's problems with WB management.

And we shouldn't assume that everyone here is familiar with a cartoon that came out from 1999-2001.
    If one were writing an article for the general readership of a newspaper or magazine, I'd agree.

But when we're talking about speaking among a bunch of fellow nerds, no. But, you know, whatever.

Mighty Member

I will say that it definitely is one of the 90's cartoons that didn't age as well as others. I liked the show as a kid, but even then I knew Batman the Animated Series was so much better. In fact...I believe that when I was a kid, Spider-Man TAS was just the entree for BTAS on Fox Kids. That said, the show had the biggest impact on how people view the Symbiote, as it feeding on negative emotions originated from it.

One thing that this show had over a good chunk of shows at the time is that it was serialized. Even BTAS was more of episodic. That said, I will say that some arcs overstayed their welcome to me... I started to hate the Neogenic Nightmare arc after a while.

If one were writing an article for the general readership of a newspaper or magazine, I'd agree.

But when we're talking about speaking among a bunch of fellow nerds, no. But, you know, whatever.
    Some fellow nerds watched different cartoons than you did.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

TAS is the best Spider-Man cartoon because it ends, all of the actors killed it, and I can't get that web shooting sound effect out of my head.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I loved it as a series, although I had a few problems with it. the ending was still on a cliff hanger. We never got to see the real Mary Jane again, also TAS Spiderman was very under powered. I find TAS Spiderman to be the weakest Spiderman of all the spiderman's adaption. he always got his ass constantly kicked.

What I loved about the series the most was the adult approach of the character. As a person who finds high school Spiderman overrated, TAS was my proof.

Astonishing Member

I loved it as a kid. Still love parts of it now. I will agree that it has dated and that is due to the quality of the animation. The thing this show had going for it is the voice cast was spot on (Christopher Daniel Barnes is still my preferred Peter/Spidey) and the characterization was also on point. The jokes Spider-man makes in this are witty rather than juvenile toilet humour.

It certainly was more serialized. The X-Men was to a degree, but Spider-man actually flowed from episode to episode (which is something that not even Batman did). Characters grew and developed.

As a kid, thought it was fantastic. I vividly remember waking up Saturday mornings with my vcr on deck ready to record. As I’ve gotten older it’s hard to go back and watch it though. Censorship ruined the series and made all the action sequences lame as hell. I can count on one hand how many times Spiderman actually hit Someone rather then just web everything up. Obviously the constant recycling of animation didn’t help either.

It did have arguably the best Peter Parker/ Spider-Man voice actor ever though.

It's still one of (if not the best) animated series, along with the 90's X-Men.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

All these years later and I still don't get people being upset with the ending, aside from actually seeing Peter reunite with MJ it's pretty conclusively a fitting ending for Spidey. I think that whole story is pretty genius using him overcoming himself literally and figuratively as the final conflict the show was building up to (and after faking out with the big epic Secret Wars just before) and was pretty forward thinking with the multiple universes/spider-people idea. I do think the show has an advantage among other Spidey shows that are also great, because this one actually has an ending and got lots of episodes to explore much of the major ideas throughout 30+ years of Spidey comic history but with its own twists as well.

I think this show is probably the most comprehensive of all the Spidey cartoons in terms of representing what Spider-Man is/most of the major stories and ideas. Spectacular Spider-Man is right near it in that regard because that show did a remarkable amount of stuff with its 2 seasons, that show would unquestionably be the best without debate if it got more episodes to flex its muscles.

Astonishing Member

It was fine as Saturday morning fare. I was an adult when it aired -- so was fully aware of its limitations. I did like that it introduced the Black Cat. I didn't like the trench coat look for Morbius, but it was a product of that era. There is no comparison with it the Batman Animated series which was a syndicated series - not marketed just at kids.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I watched it dubbed in my country's language so I was surprised how fast everyone talks in English, it's like they don't have enough time to say all the lines.

Some things I didn't know when I first watch it but know now
    - The ending really is awkward because they had to cancel the next season where he finds Mary Jane
    - Mary Jane's fall off the bridge was supposed to reference Gwen Stacy
    - In fact, I didn't know Gwen Stacy exists at all
    - Green Goblin is Spider-Man's nemesis and appears before Hobgoblin
    - Morbius is a vampire and sucks blood, not plasma
    - Peter Parker is supposed to be a nerd
    - No really, because I grew up on this and Alex Saviuk comic, I always thought him as this buff sexy guy. I never thought he's a nerd and always disappointed when other artists depict him as small and spindly.
    - I never realized how ridiculous all of Dr. Strange's spell sounds

Things I did already know before watching
    - Electro isn't supposed to be that overpowered
    - Chameleon is supposed to be a smarter mastermind and not just a hired hand

Things that this series introduced to me
    - Kraven The Hunter
    - Sinister Six
    - Alistair Smythe
    - Marvel's version of JSA
    - Clone Wars
    - Secret Wars
    - Madame Webb

Things this series reinforce to me
    - Dr. Doom is awesome

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I watched it dubbed in my country's language so I was surprised how fast everyone talks in English, it's like they don't have enough time to say all the lines.

Some things I didn't know when I first watch it but know now
    - The ending really is awkward because they had to cancel the next season where he finds Mary Jane
    - Mary Jane's fall off the bridge was supposed to reference Gwen Stacy
    - In fact, I didn't know Gwen Stacy exists at all
    - Green Goblin is Spider-Man's nemesis and appears before Hobgoblin
    - Morbius is a vampire and sucks blood, not plasma
    - Peter Parker is supposed to be a nerd
    - No really, because I grew up on this and Alex Saviuk comic, I always thought him as this buff sexy guy. I never thought he's a nerd and always disappointed when other artists depict him as small and spindly.
    - I never realized how ridiculous all of Dr. Strange's spell sounds

Things I did already know before watching
    - Electro isn't supposed to be that overpowered
    - Chameleon is supposed to be a smarter mastermind and not just a hired hand

Things that this series introduced to me
    - Kraven The Hunter
    - Sinister Six
    - Alistair Smythe
    - Marvel's version of JSA
    - Clone Wars
    - Secret Wars
    - Madame Webb

Things this series reinforce to me
    - Dr. Doom is awesome
    Only because Max Dillon is/was an idiot who had no idea how to fully utilize and harness his powers. Someone controlling electromagnetism, one of the four fundamental forces of reality itself, ought to be Magneto-levels of dangerous, but even Magneto only got as far as he did because he was willing to study and research to learn the full extent of what he could do. Max just thought, "Hey, I can shoot lightning bolts now," and ran off half-cocked, which was why he kept getting his @$$ whupped by Spider-Man despite his abilities outclassing Spidey's on paper.
    The spider is always on the hunt.