Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMC's Preacher

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default AMC's Preacher

So the season premiere of PREACHER has arrived and what wild things did we see ?

- Jesse Custer is one bad ass preacher who not only knows how to fight , he warns them what will happen. So the unlucky guy and his friends suffered his wraith. I did like that the fight is slowly brought about for the entire episode. You see Jesse discuss it with the boy , then he discusses it with the sheriff. Who blows him off and then the dumb wife who believes getting abused is some kinda love. Finally the fight.

- Cassidy is SPOT on . I loved the airline fight scene as you see him open the bible and realize what is ahead.

- Tulip is a nice one. I loved her interaction with the small kids. It shows she's a nice woman in a way to keep them shielded from the violence she was gonna unleash.

- The only distraction is the "jumps". We really didn't need to flash to Russia and more. The jumps backward and forward wasn't the best.

- Overall the show was fun and the wild atmosphere fits this. Bloody vampire fight on an airline. Tulip's fight in a car. Jesse's fight in a bar with an assist from Cassidy. This was a solid fun show.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

This show made me very happy. I was beginning to think we'd never get a good adaptation of a Vertigo comic. 8.5 out of 10, would happily watch again.

Stuff I liked: Changing the setting from a road trip to a fixed location. It's good for the budget, lets them introduce background characters organically, and gives the show a sense of quirky character.

Stuff I didn't like: Disappointed we didn't get Sheriff Root's infamous "Martian (Negroes)" speech. Didn't like Genesis bouncing around the world looking for a host and destroying Tom Cruise. The iPad joke got old fast. Making John Custer into a Pastor.

Stuff I LOVED: Cassidy and the Cow. Cassidy and the Airplane. Cassidy in jail. "I got nothin' against preachers, padre, long as you're not wearing some wee kiddie's hole around your finger like a weddin' ring, heeeeee." Tulip vs. the Hitmen. Tulip vs. the Helicopter. Tulip's lion speech. Jessie in pretty much everything he did. Arseface was absolute perfection as well.

I can't believe this was directed by Seth Rogen. This was such a fun introduction to the characters and the twisted story that I've loved for years. I'm very sad that Constantine has never received such a respectful treatment from Hollywood, but I'm so happy that Preacher is (thus far) so good. Sucks that I have to wait two weeks for the next episode, though.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I only saw the first half of this and I did not feel like watching the whole thing in one night. However I'm loving it so far. My favorite part had to have been when Cassidy crash landed in a crater and while he was half mutilated he ate a cow. I also like how Tulip is portrayed here. Personally I wished they had gotten an actress who looked the part but I still like the actress who's playing her.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

One fan's take -

It was actually worse than my personal "Worst Case Scenario" was in my head. Maybe two worthwhile moments in the entire episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Making John Custer into a Pastor.
    This was where they actually lost me. Flat out wrecked one of the most perfect moments in the comic(Actually, in any art form). Might get them written off.

One worthwhile piece of writing from a bit that I didn't care for otherwise was that they set it up so that Cassidy can set foot on consecrated ground without bursting into flames.

If they had not set that up, the television audience might have been head scratching.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One worthwhile piece of writing from a bit that I didn't care for otherwise was that they set it up so that Cassidy can set foot on consecrated ground without bursting into flames.

If they had not set that up, the television audience might have been head scratching.
    Well, that was true even in the comics. Holy water, consecrated ground, crosses, none of that stuff works against Cassidy. "It's all a gob a'shite." The only thing that ever hurt him was sunlight. (And Jessie being a baller fist fighter.)
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Well, that was true even in the comics. Holy water, consecrated ground, crosses, none of that stuff works against Cassidy. "It's all a gob a'shite." The only thing that ever hurt him was sunlight. (And Jessie being a baller fist fighter.)
    Exactly. I don't think the television audience would have caught on to that without a big "Hey!" right off the bat.

BANNED

From the the first episode.

BANNED

destroying Tom Cruise.
    my best part i laughed so hard i had to pause it and get myself a bottle of water before resuming the show.
    Last edited by AndrewBatman82; 05-23-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Bear in mind I've never read the comics, from what I saw I thought it was a pretty cartoonish vision of the American South. Holly crap. You had a wife beater, guys wearing Civil War Confederate outfits, a corrupt cop, etc...Maybe this is what a guy who grew up in NYC thinks The South is.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Bear in mind I've never read the comics, from what I saw I thought it was a pretty cartoonish vision of the American South. Holly crap. You had a wife beater, guys wearing Civil War Confederate outfits, a corrupt cop, etc...Maybe this is what a guy who grew up in NYC thinks The South is.
    Believe it or not, they have actually toned this down from the comics.

I remember Wizard Magazine and such raving about the Preacher comic when it first came out, but the ultra violence turned me off. So I came into this not being terribly familiar with it, and I thought it was pretty cool. Will definitely be sticking around.

In the comics didn't they wait a bit to reveal that Cassidy is a vampire?

I'm very sad that Constantine has never received such a respectful treatment from Hollywood, but I'm so happy that Preacher is (thus far) so good.
    We can only hope that with the success of Walking Dead, Marvel's Netflix shows, and (hopefully) Preacher will convince DC that there are better avenues for Constantine.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    From the the first episode.

Personally, I liked their use of "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon.

BANNED

If I didn't love the comic so much I think I'd have really liked this show but I'm really struggling accepting some of the changes, especially the super importants ones like the nature of Jessie and Tulip's relationship. In the comic Jesse just disappears one day leaving Tulip high and dry. This emotionally destroyed Tulip to the point she hated Jesse so when they coincidentally ran into each other again, right after Jesse is possessed by Genesis, she nearly kills him. For the non comic readers Jesse's reasons for disappearing are eventually explained and somewhat justified (not explaining as it would require going into stuff that could be spoilerish). In the TV show though Tulip comes back to Jesse trying to get him back. Thats a fundamental change in Tulip that utterly changes her personality for potential later events.

I wasn't a fan of the comicbook (I didn't know it existed back in the day) and only had vague ideas from a Wikipedia description going in as to what this was about. So looking at this show with fresh eyes I found it to be completely over the top in a good way, like the best of B movies with an actual budget and solid actors. I really enjoyed this episode of the show and look forward to more even though I would never let Mom (she loves her bible) catch me watching it and I am over forty. I laughed, I was surprised by the turn of events, was charmed by the quirky characters, and enjoyed the action scenes. I like Jesse as a character and want to see where this goes.

Is Cassidy a vampire? I mean to an uninitiated viewer WTF!? He jumped out of a plane with an umbrella and apparently ripped the throat out of a cow. You just don't see that on TV every day.

I been to a church like that. I was totally disappointed when the kid didn't get a beer for himself. They should have skinned the squirrel, cut it up, and made gravy dumplings. Always discard the brain as it can carry some dangerous stuff even when cooked.

I laughed at the church sign word play a bit too hard. Reminds me of what used to happen at a local grocery.

I don't know why Tom Cruise exploding in a bloody boom made my day but it did.

Tulip teaching the kids to make a moonshine bazooka was kind of awesome. Wish I had learned that. Had to settle for the hornet fire bomb for when they dig a deep nest in your yard.

The car in the corn field... She should have wrote **** in cursive amidst the stalks or something but it was cool. That sharp little knife scared me more than a large one would have.

I both felt bad for and was creeped out by the disfigured teen. What did he do?

I felt bad for the sheriff.

I cringed when Jesse broke that fellow's arm.

I might buy into this on VUDU so I can watch whenever I want. The pilot episode is free on AMC's official internet website right now for any one that wants to watch.

http://www.amc.com/shows/preacher

PS:

Squirrel Dumplings

~ 3 squirrels, cut up (All hair and shot removed.)
    ~ 1 egg
    ~ 2 cups plain flour
    ~ 3/4 cup broth
    ~ 1 teaspoon salt
    ~ salt and pepper

Boil squirrels in four quarts of water until tender. Remove squirrels from broth, let cool, then remove meat from bones. Set aside.

In large bowl, mix flour, egg and one teaspoon of salt with 3/4 cup of broth and roll into ball.

Strain the broth to remove any stray shot then resume boil. Return meat to boiling broth.

On a floured cutting board, use rolling pin to roll the dough ball to a thickness of 1/16 inch. Cut into 1-inch wide strips and drop strips one at a time into the boiling broth. Gently shake pot after last dumpling is added to prevent sticking.

Cook approximately 10-15 minutes until dumplings are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and Enjoy!

(You might need a lid to put over the pot while doing up the dumplings to help em cook through and through.There are tricks to make em fluffy too.)
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 05-24-2016 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Show Link
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?