Default X-Men / Mutants in Movies

So, can anyone explain to me please how the right to mutants in movies work? I thought 20th Century Fox own them up to a number of movies (or maybe a specific year?) but now there’s Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver on Avengers.. so I’m a bit confused. I just hope the rights reverted to Marvel completely so they can reboot it right, but with the new X-Men, Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool movie rumors it doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to happen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    So, can anyone explain to me please how the right to mutants in movies work? I thought 20th Century Fox own them up to a number of movies (or maybe a specific year?) but now there’s Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver on Avengers.. so I’m a bit confused. I just hope the rights reverted to Marvel completely so they can reboot it right, but with the new X-Men, Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool movie rumors it doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to happen!
    No, it's not going to happen and it's better that way because Kevin Feige is having enough trouble balancing the franchises he has. We get to see more movies this way. The only problem is that the companies won't work together (stupid greedy suits). Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are allowed to be used by Marvel as long as their mutant heritage isn't mentioned.

Well the rights to X-men, FF and spidey are with Fox and Sony as long as they keep putting out movies within a certain timeframe (hence why First Class, Amazing and the new FF reboot were/are being put out). Right now FF feels like the only one that could revert because Spidey and X-men are too prosperous for Fox and SONY to let go through the option of buying. Best we could hope for now is joint collaboration between the companies which feels more likely with Sony ( I think the Stark tower was to be seen in the skyline of Amazing Spidey 1).

Certain characters like SW and Quicksilver can be used by both companies because they fall within this poorly defined(to us) legal area but certain aspects of these characters cant be used like Magneto cant be their dad and they cant be referred to mutants if Marvel wants to use them.

I think Spidey and FF would be easier to fade into the MCU than the X-men because you could just put them between the Avengers movies and hand wave away through retcons, quips and clever nods.

I just hope the rights reverted to Marvel completely so they can reboot it right, but with the new X-Men, Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool movie rumors it doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to happen!
    Why do people keep saying they hope the rights revert to Marvel I don't get it what can they do better than XDOFP? even if you don't like the xmen movies what do you think the X-Men can bring to the MCU?

You, I and many others hope that as well.

But sadly as long as Fox continues to b@stardize 90% of the Marvel characters they own rights to within a certain timeframe, its said that they can keep the franchise indefinitely. Thus we'll never see a REAL X-men movie released in the MCU where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why do people keep saying they hope the rights revert to Marvel I don't get it what can they do better than XDOFP? even if you don't like the xmen movies what do you think the X-Men can bring to the MCU?
    Well, because some weren't as impressed with the Fox-men franchise as you seem to be. DOFP was a period piece not an actual X-men film. Now with and X-men film the Sentinels would have been much more relevant and the future ones would've had more to do than rip off Thor's Destroyer.

I'm also certain there would've been an actual Nimrod in there and Trask would've had more to do.

And for the record Winter Soldier and GOTG were my favorite CBM's this year, I'll give Sin City a chance since I loved the first one but those 2 pseudo-Marvel films don't come close.

So I won't be supporting X-men, F4 or Spidey films until they do revert.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungThanos View Post
    Well, because some weren't as impressed with the Fox-men franchise as you seem to be. DOFP was a period piece not an actual X-men film. Now with and X-men film the Sentinels would have been much more relevant and the future ones would've had more to do than rip off Thor's Destroyer.

I'm also certain there would've been an actual Nimrod in there and Trask would've had more to do.

And for the record Winter Soldier and GOTG were my favorite CBM's this year, I'll give Sin City a chance since I loved the first one but those 2 pseudo-Marvel films don't come close.

So I won't be supporting X-men, F4 or Spidey films until they do revert.
    yup I know some did not like it but a lot of ppl loved it and like I was asking what do you think the X-Men can bring to the MCU? other than take up time and space from other heros yet to get a movie? how are the Sentinels a rip off of the Destroyer? one more why did you not like ASM2?

yup I know some did not like it but a lot of ppl loved it and like I was asking what do you think the X-Men can bring to the MCU? other than take up time and space from other heros yet to get a movie? how are the Sentinels a rip off of the Destroyer? one more why did you not like ASM2?
    Where do I began...?

It would bring the word MUTANT to the fold. I'm confident that Marvel would do a better job utilizing X-men characters. Characters that Fox will never use like the Shiar, Star Jammers, Phalanx and Brood would add depth to the Cosmic Marvel Universe.

It's been 14yrs and 7 X-films and Fox has yet to show any relevant Villains besides Magneto, shine on film. (Key word being relevant, Shaw, Silver Samurai and Deadpool were horrible)

One other thing I'd like to put out there is that I prefer quality CBM's over quantity so I don't really care what Fox and Sony puts outs since I don't watch it anyway. Marvel Studio's is clearly expanding to 3 films a year in 2017 which is the average amount of Marvel based films releasing anyway so the argument about about Marvels inability to release films to me pointless.

As for ASM2 or CW Spider-man as some call it got the Villains all wrong. Was willing to give it a chance despite what I say in the trailers but it turned out to be a big disappointment to many who paid to see it. So I skipped it and watched Neighbors the following week. So I wont likely see it till it hits HBO or Netflix which at this rate won't be that long from now.
    Last edited by YoungThanos; 08-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Where do I began...?

It would bring the word MUTANT to the fold. I'm confident that Marvel would do a better job utilizing X-men characters. Characters that Fox will never use like the Shiar, Star Jammers, Phalanx and Brood would add depth to the Cosmic Marvel Universe.

It's been 14yrs and 7 X-films and Fox has yet to show any relevant Villains besides Magneto, shine on film. (Key word being relevant, Shaw, Silver Samurai and Deadpool were horrible)

One other thing I'd like to put out there is that I prefer quality CBM's over quantity so I don't really care what Fox and Sony puts outs since I don't watch it anyway. Marvel Studio's is clearly expanding to 3 films a year in 2017 which is the average amount of Marvel based films releasing anyway so the argument about about Marvels inability to release films to me pointless.

As for ASM2 or CW Spider-man as some call it got the Villains all wrong. Was willing to give it a chance despite what I say in the trailers but it turned out to be a big disappointment to many who paid to see it. So I skipped it and watched Neighbors the following week. So I wont likely see it till it hits HBO or Netflix which at this rate won't be that long from now.
    how do you know Fox will never use theme? they don't need the Shiar, Star Jammers, Phalanx mutants or the Brood in the MCU they have lots of other stuff to use.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Thus we'll never see a REAL X-men movie released in the MCU where they belong.
    I don't think the X-Men really work in the same universe as The Avengers, they finally had to acknowledge in the comics that Cap should have done more to help the mutants and that's just not really a theme I can see fitting into an Avengers movie.

Well, because some weren't as impressed with the Fox-men franchise as you seem to be.
    Most were. It's only "some" who are not.

BANNED

They could have linked them but a retcon is not going to work so well.

I think for characters that have substantial overlap for the avengers/x-men franchise the studios can negotiate usage. The skrulls would be another example of such, since they debut in FF but play a pretty big role in Avengers stories such as the Kree-Skrull war. I think to avoid having to negotiate the legal issues they used the Chitauri in Avengers instead, even tho in Ultimates the Chitauri were more skrull-like.

That being said, I'm fine with Fox retaining the X-Men property for now. Aside from Last Stand and Wolverine Origins their movies have been decent, and I think the X-men work better in their own separate universe. Even in the comics it doesn't make much sense that people hate on mutants but don't mind the FF, Thor, etc.

It would be great to see FF revert to Marvel since both movies were mediocre and the new one doesn't seem all that promising, at least not yet - trying not to be too judgemental beforehand. The spiderman property does seem to be floundering a bit at Sony but still can't seem them giving that up anytime soon - worst come to worst, they'll just relaunch again. Think Garfield et al. will still get a few more chances before that though.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Where do I began...?

Actually, I thought Kevin Bacon was marvelous as Shaw. Otherwise I agree with this and earlier statements you've made. After DoFP, I've given up on Fox Marvel movies, I wish I could get my $18 back.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

The only way I could see it working in the MCU is have them be the future of the human race in the 2020s, not the present day, completely change all the X-Men character's origins and history, and letting them be the next Avengers.

to be honest I'm just hoping for a script with less holes in it.