Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'd rather Earth-2 be preserved as it was designed to be- the home of all the Golden Age stories. Superman debuts in 1938 with the rest of the JSA coming over the next few years, Excluding heroes who might "naturally" have extended lives no fountains of youth. By 2020 the active heroes would be mostly legacies and the originals would be available for Times Past tales.

To differentiate I'd use the G5 present Earth to set up the JSA as simply being X-years before the present. So the Post-Crisis "original" JSA might be from the 1990's but a decade from now they'd have debuted at the dawn of the 21st Century.

BANNED

I guess how it was pre crisis. Except the freedom fighters never leave to go to Earth X.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    The first ten issues of the much lamented Infinity, Inc. featured Wonder Woman, Huntress and Power Girl as members of the JSA.
    I think Black Canary was meant, not Wonder Woman, who also had some other JSA adventures with Hunts and PG.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    We've got two possibilities here. And I'd treat them differently.

The first would be to take Earth Two at a point in history at Barry's origin or J'Onn's first appearance. The Trinity are doing most everything as seen by page counts. The JSA has pretty much shut down, at least publicly. Some other heroes still have adventures, but they're relatively minor.

What I would do would be to take a hearing at the same time and place as the Congressional Hearing. Being Golden Age Earth-Two, the focus is on the advanced technology some people had and what it has to do with the increase in Alien visitations. Now after over a decade of heroics, magic, and the beginnings of reversed engineered alien tech, Earth Two develops into an amazing future-retro world.

The second option is to take Earth-Two from just pre-Crisis and store it in its own universe. The differences here are that all of the Silver Age adventures have happened, including All-Star Squadron and the team-ups with Earth One. It's the mid-eighties and I would focus on differences between this Earth and our own. Like the Quebec situation. Upon being stored, I'd imagine the Earth-One team-ups would cease, unless that Earth Two is stored in Earth 1985's universe and both worlds carried on having annual "crises" to hang out at. But in any case, it would be difficult for that Earth Two to not be totally Roy Thomasized.
    I could go with that. And I agree with and have loved the idea of a retro-future JSA Earth 2 for ages. The art should represent that IMO.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would have the same rule I have for Earth 1985. Let it take place just after the COIE. Mostly focused on Infinity Inc. with the JSA making guest appearances as needed. Superman is still semi-retired. Batman dead.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

First off, the idea of the 'classic' Earth 2 from the days of the Silver Age/Bronze Age is more or less redundant now, since those characters are once again part of Earth 0 again. I personally believe that the original Earth 2 now only exists as an aspect of Earth 0...so any other version of Earth 2 out there has the leeway to be different. In fact, it kinda has to be different.

I'd go for a kind of retro-futuristic vibe for Earth 2 - a kind of 1950's science-fiction vision of what the 21st century would look like. The conceit would be that the emergence of superheroes during WW2 really changed the course of human history, particularly human technological evolution. It's a more peaceful world, a more advanced world - but also, to some degree, a complacent world - until the start of the story shakes a new generation of heroes, as well as some of the old guard, back into action.

This is a world where Alan Scott is one of the most influential men alive - both as the Green Lantern and as a powerful media baron who's running for President (his identity of course being public knowledge). Ted Knight's research led to a clean energy revolution. The secrets of Themyscera have been shared with the world to a limited extent, courtesy of Diana being Queen of the Amazons.

The major threat to this world comes in the form of a violent political movement known as the Fourth Reich that sweeps this otherwise near-perfect world. And the heroes need to rise again to stop the threat that the first generation of heroes stopped back in WW2.

A few of the JSA mainstays will still be part of the cast. Alan, as mentioned, is basically immortal, and is revered as the world's greatest hero. Jay Garrick vanished into the Speed Force over 30 years ago, and returns to find that Joan died and he has a grandchild who's inherited his speedster abilities. Dr. Fate and the Spectre are still around. The Thunderbolt has a new host in Jakeem Thunder. The Starman legacy is carried on by Courtney Whitmore. Black Canary is a third generation superhero. Hawkman and Hawkgirl are young 20-something new heroes, albeit reincarnations of the originals. A lot of legacies from Earth 0 as well as new legacies will be introduced.

As far as Superman goes, on this earth, after Lois died, he retired to a quiet life on the Kent farm. Though he's over a century old, he has aged slowly, being only around biologically 60-70. His powers are back to their 1938 levels. His decision to return to the spotlight will be a major turning point.

As far as Superman goes, on this earth, after Lois died, he retired to a quiet life on the Kent farm. Though he's over a century old, he has aged slowly, being only around biologically 60-70. His powers are back to their 1938 levels. His decision to return to the spotlight will be a major turning point.
    When did the Kent farm give way to the general store? I know the farm was back post-COIE, but in the silver age, the Kents were in town with a general store by time Clark was a teenager. But, of course, that was the silver age. I know Superboy comics started in 1949, but I don't know when the farm-to-store shift was. Nor that golden age Superman had any particular affection for farming, but maybe Earth 2 Superman did? I know a lot of Earth 2, as a separate reality, was established in the 1970s, and of course, the movie used the farm and farmboy naive-pretense (not present in actual golden age), so maybe they skipped out on store for Earth 2 Superman? I have a lot more familiarity (though still not a huge amount) with golden age than with later-established Earth 2 and I get tripped up on the differences sometimes.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-28-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    First off, the idea of the 'classic' Earth 2 from the days of the Silver Age/Bronze Age is more or less redundant now, since those characters are once again part of Earth 0 again. I personally believe that the original Earth 2 now only exists as an aspect of Earth 0...so any other version of Earth 2 out there has the leeway to be different. In fact, it kinda has to be different.

I'd go for a kind of retro-futuristic vibe for Earth 2 - a kind of 1950's science-fiction vision of what the 21st century would look like. The conceit would be that the emergence of superheroes during WW2 really changed the course of human history, particularly human technological evolution. It's a more peaceful world, a more advanced world - but also, to some degree, a complacent world - until the start of the story shakes a new generation of heroes, as well as some of the old guard, back into action.

This is a world where Alan Scott is one of the most influential men alive - both as the Green Lantern and as a powerful media baron who's running for President (his identity of course being public knowledge). Ted Knight's research led to a clean energy revolution. The secrets of Themyscera have been shared with the world to a limited extent, courtesy of Diana being Queen of the Amazons.

The major threat to this world comes in the form of a violent political movement known as the Fourth Reich that sweeps this otherwise near-perfect world. And the heroes need to rise again to stop the threat that the first generation of heroes stopped back in WW2.

A few of the JSA mainstays will still be part of the cast. Alan, as mentioned, is basically immortal, and is revered as the world's greatest hero. Jay Garrick vanished into the Speed Force over 30 years ago, and returns to find that Joan died and he has a grandchild who's inherited his speedster abilities. Dr. Fate and the Spectre are still around. The Thunderbolt has a new host in Jakeem Thunder. The Starman legacy is carried on by Courtney Whitmore. Black Canary is a third generation superhero. Hawkman and Hawkgirl are young 20-something new heroes, albeit reincarnations of the originals. A lot of legacies from Earth 0 as well as new legacies will be introduced.

I like how this idea could developt. Making earth 2 different from the main earth.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

The big problem I see with the original Earth 2 is it's time line. If you stick to the original concept where time passes there in real time and you don't have a sliding time scale, even the Inifinty Inc Members would be close to 60 years old.

I can see 2 opotion how to handle it:
    - The first is that turn it into an earth that is permanently set in a futuristic version of the1950, with wired super pseudo science that makes no sense.
    - The second is to continue where the All Star Squadron/Young All Star stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The big problem I see with the original Earth 2 is it's time line. If you stick to the original concept where time passes there in real time and you don't have a sliding time scale, even the Inifinty Inc Members would be close to 60 years old.
    ... or you can embrace the idea of Earth 2 being a real time world. The original JSA members have either passed away or are in their twilight years. Infinity Inc. are the elder statesmen of the superhero set, and a new generation of heroes have picked up the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    ... or you can embrace the idea of Earth 2 being a real time world. The original JSA members have either passed away or are in their twilight years. Infinity Inc. are the elder statesmen of the superhero set, and a new generation of heroes have picked up the torch.
    That’s essentially what we have now on “Earth-whatever we are calling the current ‘post-Doomsday Clock’ the DCU” is...

I think what a lot of us are hoping for is a world/universe where we can see the original JSA members are still alive.

So I thought probably the best place to ask would be here, I’m aware of the earth 2 universe and some of the stories but haven’t read everything. So where would I start current collections/omnibus wise for the earth 2 version of characters, like is there Earth 2 Superman, Batman, and etc collections. I’m assuming I can look up All-Star comics, Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, and the JSA but I’d like to have an idea for what are maybe essential to pick up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    When did the Kent farm give way to the general store? I know the farm was back post-COIE, but in the silver age, the Kents were in town with a general store by time Clark was a teenager. But, of course, that was the silver age. I know Superboy comics started in 1949, but I don't know when the farm-to-store shift was. Nor that golden age Superman had any particular affection for farming, but maybe Earth 2 Superman did? I know a lot of Earth 2, as a separate reality, was established in the 1970s, and of course, the movie used the farm and farmboy naive-pretense (not present in actual golden age), so maybe they skipped out on store for Earth 2 Superman? I have a lot more familiarity (though still not a huge amount) with golden age than with later-established Earth 2 and I get tripped up on the differences sometimes.
    Golden Age Superman retiring to the farm makes no sense whatsoever. He did not consider Clark Kent to be his real identity and the whole idealization of rural life only came Post Crisis when Byrne took over. Golden Age Superman was more likely to go off into space then retire to a farm. He was Kal-El the Last Son of Krypton above all else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Golden Age Superman retiring to the farm makes no sense whatsoever. He did not consider Clark Kent to be his real identity and the whole idealization of rural life only came Post Crisis when Byrne took over. Golden Age Superman was more likely to go off into space then retire to a farm. He was Kal-El the Last Son of Krypton above all else.
    Actually the Golden-Age Superman didn't think of himself as Kryptonian. He was a decade into his career (at least 30) before he even knew about Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Actually the Golden-Age Superman didn't think of himself as Kryptonian. He was a decade into his career (at least 30) before he even knew about Krypton.
    That's what I was thinking. The thinking of himself as Kal-El was very silver-age to me. To me, golden age Superman was a man of the here and now (as it was then), without much emotional tie to the past - either his home planet or the piece of land he grew up on. Loved his folks, sure, but I don't recall him much thinking on his past. And, of course, growing up on farm wasn't a defining characteristic then, but a common background. I guess it depends on when the Golden Age/Silver Age split for Superman is to you for Superman (since the hard split was really a later creation). I don't consider early Superboy to be part of golden age Superman, so don't think that's indicative of how he thinks of himself. Really, Superboy was not part of Superman's past for a long while.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-31-2019 at 01:08 PM.