Boisterously Confused

Default Does Superman Get The Hiccups?

Do not ask from which unhinged corner of my brain this bit of randomness spawned. I'm not so sure myself.

But seriously, few things are as miserably annoying as the occasional collusion of our diaphragms and vocal cords in a revolt against our well ordered breathing. So, is Kal-el enough like us to suffer this aggravation, or alien enough to be immune?

Well, he breathes and talks so he's got to have the diaphragm and vocal cords, so yeah that part of his anatomy is close enough he probably does. Except you know, in his case he gets the super hiccups! With the strength of a thousand mortal hiccups!

No Clue but if he sneezes and farts at the same time good bye Metropolis.

I'd say that, from a biological perspective he could. His vocal chords and diaphragm has to be at least close to our's, which means it's likely he *could* get the hiccups.

But he's also got an incredible amount of control over his bodily functions, including unconscious actions like breathing, blinking, etc. Otherwise he'd end up destroying everything around him every time he burps, farts, rolls over in bed, or whatever. So I'm gonna say that while he could have the hiccups in theory, he's got enough muscle control to avoid that problem.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

There was a silver age story where he was being coerced into marrying a woman on another planet, so to have her break it off he acted very uncouth at the celebratory feast, even giving a super burp that did some damage (which he repaired afterwards).

I don't think Doctors know what actually causes hiccups, so it might be something his body would do. He's basically a perfect physical specimen though, so to the extent his brain doesn't misfire causing them like ours does, he might not.

Incredible Member

He did on Lois & Clark where his hiccups shook the house. He had to put a spoon under his tongue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    He did on Lois & Clark where his hiccups shook the house. He had to put a spoon under his tongue.
    Herman Munster had the same problem; live steam was the cure (in a sorority house bathroom!).