Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Everyone knows that the female x-men are the bad asses of the x-universe. I don't think one issue of Apoc/Mags/Xavier is an issue.

It's also just like a few pages.
    Exactly. We have seen three pages

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Thanks I hink is a little of both

Exactly. They are coming from this pov and of course everyone else who used to know them with the exception of the X-men will think they have gone crazy but really they are just hoping to avoid a dissarter for their ppl by uniting ALL of mutantkind, this was also Moira X idea in her last life, this was quite clear at the end of HOX/POX.

Only Magneto and Xavier know so far but they are planning of telling others like Scott, Emma, Jean etc.

My guess is that they are just waiting Essex to fail to keep quiet and then send him with Creed as you said They no longer need him and his access to mutant DNA is plain dangerous for everybody.
    I think that the last pages of PoX are foreshadowing that the fall of Krakoa will be because of their arrogance. Even Moira seemed worried and Incoming is showing that Sinister is going to do what Moira warned them about. It's not going to end well because all of the big three are kind of flawed.

As for the all male situation, I still think that not using Emma for the economic forum is weird since she's keeping up the whole island's economy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Lots of people complained. Because that’s what happens. An all women-led book shouldn’t be getting the same complaints because there hasn’t been a 75+ year publication history of relegating men to only being tokens for female-driven stories. No one is projecting (what are you even talking about?), just enjoying the story and critiquing things that need to be talked about. So like I said, more representation for men and women of color, not just white women. That said, I’m loving Hickman’s run and will continue to.
    Or perhaps it’s silly and immature to judge any single details of any single preview or episode of a serial narrative under the lens of identity politics. This is not a a book or a movie, a self-contained piece of fiction that can be judged this way. As a long time LGBT activist I can assure that this attitude in real life doesn’t help any cause. It only makes a part look obsessed and fanatic and opens the way to sexist people to accuse of extremism who is in general in the right. Because it’s based on a fragment of an episode of a long serial narrative. It’s right to expect fiction to represent the real world and be reflective of its diversity, but it’s a total different thing to expect fiction to revolve around that all the time. Additionally a work of fiction that’s totally balanced and show an ideal world where everyone is equal and there is no discrimination would just be fake and wrong, because it would be like pretend these issue does not exist.

There is a big difference between pretending in real life that place of powers and responsibility are equally distributed (right) and expecting fiction to represent a world that doesn’t exist with the only result of actually burying the real world under some kind of imaginary utopia (wrong, fake and counterproductive to the causes people here say to support). This superficiality of approach in these matters does not help anybody.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Lots of people complained. Because that’s what happens. An all women-led book shouldn’t be getting the same complaints because there hasn’t been a 75+ year publication history of relegating men to only being tokens for female-driven stories. No one is projecting (what are you even talking about?), just enjoying the story and critiquing things that need to be talked about. So like I said, more representation for men and women of color, not just white women. That said, I’m loving Hickman’s run and will continue to.
    This is one issue and people are projecting their social justice grievances. Im all for inclusion and diversity, dont understand the complaints tho. The preview looks interesting.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeeper 2.0 View Post
    This is one issue and people are projecting their social justice grievances. Im all for inclusion and diversity, dont understand the complaints tho. The preview looks interesting.
    I mean...I don’t know what to tell you. Women were asking why it’s such a sausage fest at the Summit. That’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Or perhaps it’s silly and immature to judge any single details of any single preview or episode of a serial narrative under the lens of identity politics. This is not a a book or a movie, a self-contained piece of fiction that can be judged this way. As a long time LGBT activist I can assure that this attitude in real life doesn’t help any cause. It only makes a part look obsessed and fanatic and opens the way to sexist people to accuse of extremism who is in general in the right. Because it’s based on a fragment of an episode of a long serial narrative. It’s right to expect fiction to represent the real world and be reflective of its diversity, but it’s a total different thing to expect fiction to revolve around that all the time. Additionally a work of fiction that’s totally balanced and show an ideal world where everyone is equal and there is no discrimination would just be fake and wrong, because it would be like pretend these issue does not exist.

There is a big difference between pretending in real life that place of powers and responsibility are equally distributed (right) and expecting fiction to represent a world that doesn’t exist with the only result of actually burying the real world under some kind of imaginary utopia (wrong, fake and counterproductive to the causes people here say to support). This superficiality of approach in these matters does not help anybody.
    First off, that is not what identity politics are. And like I said, the very discussion isn’t unfounded as this has been a problem in Hickman’s work before and while we’re only four issues in, if women see the same patterns starting to arise then it’s a discussion that needs to happen. Expecting positive media representation is nothing new and as a member of the LGBTQ community, I can assure you that there are plenty of things that aren’t helpful to the cause and it sure isn’t asking “where tf are all the gay characters in this comic book or tv show or place of occupation or residence?” Maybe if you all spent less time trying to shut down people who are reacting to what they’ve been given & are coming from a place of experience and more time just listening/ being quiet for a little while, maybe some productive discussions could be had. This critique of Hickman’s work isn’t anything new.

In a world of mutants establishing their own sovereign nation, handing out magic plant medicine to alleviate mental illness or debilitating conditions while also setting up portals to allow any mutant to pass through and live in said nation, stopping at representing black ppl, POC, LGBTQ+, women, and all the intersections that exist between because it “doesn’t exist” is one of the shittiest things I’ve heard from this site. No one is asking for an entire, comic book world where there is no discrimination or conflict but we sure as hell don’t expect that to stop creators from presenting characters that reflect real life. It isn’t an imaginary utopia to give a black woman an important voice on a World Summit.

So hopefully this calms down because this was very much blown out of proportion when all my OG comment said was:

I’m glad two of the five shown are at least men of color, but I agree that the lack of X-Women (specifically mutant WOC) should at least be discussed.

That being said: they all look so good omfg

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I wonder if they really might go the Xavier/Mystique route but in case they don’t, I wonder if #5 is gonna happen while The Boys are away.

BANNED

The X-Men is identity politics. If that grinds the gears, well they also make an entirely meaningless "just punching" franchise: Avengers.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

I'm generally in favor of more inclusion in the X-Men. A comic that purports to be a metaphor for persecuted "others" should feature more minorities, women, LGBTQ and PoC. However, it shouldn't do so a the expense of the story.

If this was about economics Xavier should have brought Emma and Shaw. By bringing Magneto and Apocalypse it tells us this isn't about economics its a projection of power and politics. Xavier, Magneto and Apocalypse are names, arguably the most prominent mutants alive as far as the MU public is concerned. The only other mutant with that kind of name recognition, is maybe Cyclops from his time as the mutant leader and revolutionary, who's there as a bodyguard. This group strikes me as being chosen purely for its intimidation factor. By showcasing arguably the three most powerful and prominent mutant leaders, 2 of whom have quite the reputation for violence, its a very unsubtle warning to the rest of the world on the consequences of belligerence towards Krakoa. At the same time by having Mags and Apoc showing up in suits (not in armor) and working in concert it also projects that Krakoa has a level of control over some of the more volatile members of the mutant community and can keep them in check.

Also to be clear this isn't an "evil" or "bad guy" move either. Intimidation and Power projection are legitimate and fairly common tactics in international relations.

Lastly its friggen cool

Astonishing Member

That being said: they all look so good omfg

I wonder if they really might go the Xavier/Mystique route but in case they don’t, I wonder if #5 is gonna happen while The Boys are away.
    Its good to finally see Cyclops hair again lol but the man looks like Matt Murdock here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    They ARE arrogant but thanks to Moira and their own experience they are more aware of the future danger surrounding Krakoa or any mutant nation they built, but who knows if this will lead to them making better or worse choices, that`s the story I think Hickman is writting. For them this is it, them bringing the entire mutant community together is their best and last shot of a future for mutants where they are not killed off or send to a prison camp. They know this but the other groups in this meeting don`t know it, in their strenght they want to hide this weakness and overcome their apparent destiny, and I would just like to see how the other groups and nations like the Avengers, Wakanda, Latveria, FF4 in the MU react when they meet them.
    moira didn't showed everything to them. She kept many things to her. And she seems to have a plan for krakoa that she didn't told Xavier or Magneto

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The X-Men is identity politics. If that grinds the gears, well they also make an entirely meaningless "just punching" franchise: Avengers.
    This is true, but even avengers went to some diversity with blade, ghost rider...
    i'm surprised that people are surprised that readers are questioning only men on Davos

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I'm generally in favor of more inclusion in the X-Men. A comic that purports to be a metaphor for persecuted "others" should feature more minorities, women, LGBTQ and PoC. However, it shouldn't do so a the expense of the story.

If this was about economics Xavier should have brought Emma and Shaw. By bringing Magneto and Apocalypse it tells us this isn't about economics its a projection of power and politics. Xavier, Magneto and Apocalypse are names, arguably the most prominent mutants alive as far as the MU public is concerned. The only other mutant with that kind of name recognition, is maybe Cyclops from his time as the mutant leader and revolutionary, who's there as a bodyguard. This group strikes me as being chosen purely for its intimidation factor. By showcasing arguably the three most powerful and prominent mutant leaders, 2 of whom have quite the reputation for violence, its a very unsubtle warning to the rest of the world on the consequences of belligerence towards Krakoa. At the same time by having Mags and Apoc showing up in suits (not in armor) and working in concert it also projects that Krakoa has a level of control over some of the more volatile members of the mutant community and can keep them in check.

Also to be clear this isn't an "evil" or "bad guy" move either. Intimidation and Power projection are legitimate and fairly common tactics in international relations.

Lastly its friggen cool
    This what I was trying to say but much better put. Xavier and Mags picked the group that they did to flex on flatscans.

I just know we’re gonna get threads on “Is Xavier an EVIL MASTERMIND for bringing •—[A]—• to the World Summit?”

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Its good to finally see Cyclops hair again lol but the man looks like Matt Murdock here
    I want to see his hair dyed black. Just for like two seconds or panels.

Lastly its friggen cool
    They have power dampeners everywhere. why would ṕeople be even afraid

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Lastly its friggen cool
    Stop with your logical thinking. We don't have any use for that here.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

there is nothing informal on Davos. it's a very important nation meeting to close economic deals
    Perhaps the Marvel version does, and I'm fine with that. But the real Davos meeting does not "close economic deals". It is a forum of various discussions.

"They’re among around 3,000 participants drawn from all over the world and from every sphere of influence: business, government, civil society, academia, arts and culture, and media. From January 22 - 25, they will be convening in the snow-bound Swiss town of Davos to discuss how to build a better version of globalization."

Charles is flexing his muscles as he should as this meeting is the elite of the elite. The elite that run governments from behind the curtains.
    Last edited by JB; 12-28-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!