Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Books about politics aren't what I want at all in 2020. Pyro controlling wildfires, Ice Man getting Omega with glaciers, Storm negotiating with X-treme weather, Krakoa getting intimate with the damaged planet etc... When I think, I can only think 'that's what I want"...but if I got that, I don't know.

Things I love most surprise me. Aren't what I think they are. Change me. The obvious, shouldn't really be, and ought to be used that way.

So far I've been unprepared for everything Hickman has done and it's great. I am most happy when I was wrong and got something so much better than what I'd have if I was right.
    Last edited by sungila; 12-29-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

Per Hickman's story, the mutants are not destined to inherit the earth. What IS destined to happen is that dumb humans get their wish and wipe out mutants only to get eaten by hungry AI-liens anyway.

The Phalanx is the real enemy. And I think this is a great setup longterm.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 12-29-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Per Hickman's story, the mutants are not destined to inherit the earth. What IS destined to happen is that dumb humans get their wish and wipe out mutants only to get eaten by hungry AI-liens anyway.

The Phalanx is the real enemy. And I think this is a great setup longterm.
    But homo Novissima want to integrate with the phalanx, they want to reach another level

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

At least the Homo Novissima that was talking with Nimrod saw the coming of the phalanx as the "end of the world and humankind" but was unable to stop it, he didn`t want to become part phalanx or be destroyed by them but saw no way out for the world or for himself, tried to use mutant data to see if there was something of use but there was no much left outside of the survivors in the habitats and Moira and Wolverine were unable to do much except send Moira on her way to life X which is her present life.

Edit:

Kitty&Piotr<3 is right at least Moira, Charles and Magneto are working under the belief that the Phalanx, the Homo Novissima and the Nimrods are the real adversary, of course they also have to avoid Sinister`s betrayal and the coming of the Chimera made from omega mutants, those killed the X-men in one of Moira`s lifes. But imo all three of them are going about doing it in a different way and who knows if that will work or if they should unite once again like in the beggining.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    At least the Homo Novissima that was talking with Nimrod saw the coming of the phalanx as the "end of the world and humankind" but was unable to stop it, he didn`t want to become part phalanx or be destroyed by them but saw no way out for the world or for himself, tried to use mutant data to see if there was something of use but there was no much left outside of the survivors in the habitats and Moira and Wolverine were unable to do much except send Moira on her way to life X which is her present life.
    Earlier we see that he is worried if the novissima will be accept into the phalanx

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

He`s worried because if they are not accepted the phalanx will destroy them. That`s the choice they have, be absorbed or be destroyed.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Kitty&Piotr<3 is right at least Moira, Charles and Magneto are working under the belief that the Phalanx, the Homo Novissima and the Nimrods are the real adversary, of course they also have to avoid Sinister`s betrayal and the coming of the Chimera made from omega mutants, those killed the X-men in one of Moira`s lifes. But imo all three of them are going about doing it in a different way and who knows if that will work or if they should unite once again like in the beggining.
    Thanks for this. It helps me wrap my brain around the possibilities.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    That being said: they all look so good omfg
    That’s really the main takeaway. Magneto looking yuhME in that white suit

BANNED

I just wish he had a pellegrina and cane.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Mags doesn't seem to like any obvious indicator of his WWII-reaching age, so no cane.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    This. These subtleties have been priceless and I fully recognize them.
    It’s only the fourth issue so I know Hickman’s gonna have a blast writing these clashing, loud personalities with the former villains and current heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I like it too but I just wish it felt better motivated it kind of comes out of nowhere and so it's "easy come easy go" and fails to make an impression on the skeptics as much.

Like you're not actually gonna get many folks to go "wow Gorgon's not so bad I suppose"? Maybe some of us will be that way but idk.

Apoc's arc in Excalibur is different, he's given time and focus to get a new perspective. So yeah more stuff like that is the way to go if Hickman wants folks to really accept "villain-hero alliances". Or maybe we need to see who the "truly villainous villains" are like what happened with Sabretooth and what may start happening with Sinister. Then the other "villains" may get more accepted or at least tolerated by fans.
    Meh, I’ve talked in further detail on another post but I don’t see the X-Franchise and its interactions with their antagonists the same as other Marvel properties. Mutants have tended to band together if the cause is great enough in the past, so it isn’t too much of a stretch that there could be something so monumental and promising that could bring together all walks of life. We’ve had almost every mutant under the sun participate or at least ally themselves with a member of the X-Men. Of course we haven’t had anything on the scale of Krakoa so it makes sense that we’re being exposed to all new interactions between mutants you normally would never see.

We’ve seen that point getting stressed more and more during the Disassembled/Rosencanny/AoXM era where we see Mutants hunting each other down but also acknowledging just how close their causes are. Whether it’s the MLF invading a lab to destroy the mutant cure or the X-Men hunting down threats to give mutantkind a good name before they go or the Brotherhood targeting anti-mutant rallies to take down bigoted politicians, it’s clear that the goal in all these cases are some sort of survival for their species. And I think Krakoa is just a wide enough net that it can unify these differing ideologies into a successful mutant nation. I don’t think this is any indication that Gorgon or Sinister or Emplate are automatically good guys, just that they are some of the many that believe Xavier/Magneto/Moira have the best plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Right? Who would have ever imagined Xavier, Mags, and Apocalypse allied with each other and about to attend an economic summit. It sounds like a damn AU but Hickman turned it into a reality.
    Selene and Emplate monitoring Krakoa’s psychic feeding. Gorgon being one of the four captains in times of war. Vulcan living with his siblings. •—[A]—• trying his best to protect Krakoans and Arakkoans I know people will call me crazy but there’s enough story potential for even a decade of storytelling without Marvel trying to lazily backtrack this.

Variant cover by Shannon Maer

BANNED

It’s only the fourth issue so I know Hickman’s gonna have a blast writing these clashing, loud personalities with the former villains and current heroes.

Meh, I’ve talked in further detail on another post but I don’t see the X-Franchise and its interactions with their antagonists the same as other Marvel properties. Mutants have tended to band together if the cause is great enough in the past, so it isn’t too much of a stretch that there could be something so monumental and promising that could bring together all walks of life. We’ve had almost every mutant under the sun participate or at least ally themselves with a member of the X-Men. Of course we haven’t had anything on the scale of Krakoa so it makes sense that we’re being exposed to all new interactions between mutants you normally would never see.

We’ve seen that point getting stressed more and more during the Disassembled/Rosencanny/AoXM era where we see Mutants hunting each other down but also acknowledging just how close their causes are. Whether it’s the MLF invading a lab to destroy the mutant cure or the X-Men hunting down threats to give mutantkind a good name before they go or the Brotherhood targeting anti-mutant rallies to take down bigoted politicians, it’s clear that the goal in all these cases are some sort of survival for their species. And I think Krakoa is just a wide enough net that it can unify these differing ideologies into a successful mutant nation. I don’t think this is any indication that Gorgon or Sinister or Emplate are automatically good guys, just that they are some of the many that believe Xavier/Magneto/Moira have the best plan in place.

Selene and Emplate monitoring Krakoa’s psychic feeding. Gorgon being one of the four captains in times of war. Vulcan living with his siblings. •—[A]—• trying his best to protect Krakoans and Arakkoans I know people will call me crazy but there’s enough story potential for even a decade of storytelling without Marvel trying to lazily backtrack this.
    Co-signed, sealed, and delivered. The best part of the whole thing is that there’s a unifying element here that makes it in the best interest of all these disparate parties with clashing ideologies to set aside and/or work through their differences to cooperate. Things like the Resurrection Machine, which show the real wonders they can achieve through cooperation, only strengthen the impetus for unity. I hope this lasts for decades. Doesn’t mean we can’t have conflict or, uh, strife, but keeping the nation intact is such a great narrative engine.

Astonishing Member

Ah the true threat to Krakoa the creatively bankrupt people at Marvel. Who can't help but reset things to their factory setting -_-

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Co-signed, sealed, and delivered. The best part of the whole thing is that there’s a unifying element here that makes it in the best interest of all these disparate parties with clashing ideologies to set aside and/or work through their differences to cooperate. Things like the Resurrection Machine, which show the real wonders they can achieve through cooperation, only strengthen the impetus for unity. I hope this lasts for decades. Doesn’t mean we can’t have conflict or, uh, strife, but keeping the nation intact is such a great narrative engine.
    Which means, I'll never live long enough to see it reset?

*is feeling his near-four decades of life more than ever*

This thread hates me. This board hates me. The franchise hates me.
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 12-29-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.