Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Yeah he was like "Dad, can you tell Daddy that I could use some help if you're not too busy?"

Nice feat for Daddy Erik using his powers without really seeing what was happening.
    While still streaming his sentence. King.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I liked this issue a lot.

There was something really special about the power trio of Charles, Erik and Apocalypse dressing up and being set in that dining room conversation scenario. I like that the issue plays the angle of the battle of politics in one room with Scott and Gorgon doing their action / comic book stuff in another scene, but mostly I just love the caveat of putting these three men into a room where they have this tense political conversation because it gives us a chance to see them, their characters, have dialogue with regular people (albeit, powerful people) that you generally don't get. Which has felt fine and we've seen a bit of with Charles and Erik lately and continued here, but Apocalypse being along to give his perspective is what cemented the idea in my brain that this was a perfect high concept for an issue. It's also excellent world-building ... world-building done efficiently and tightly in a scene with nothing more than three men in suits sitting down for dinner, talking to people.
    Well said. I found it all very fascinating.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Charles is epic.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This issue is just...perfect.
    Even after (many) subsequent re-readings it loses none of its import and gravitas.
    This is definitely in the running for my number one pick for Best Single Issue of 2020, later this year.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    This issue is just...perfect.
    Even after (many) subsequent re-readings it loses none of its import and gravitas.
    This is definitely in the running for my number one pick for Best Single Issue of 2020, later this year.
    I have to agree. I read it again and enjoyed it even more.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Finally got around to reading this. I know there's quality world-building and dialogue in there, but, I dunno, given how the thing most likely (read: totally) was delayed so Hickman could rewrite the entire Summit in neat bullet point format to shut down the Krakoa critics, I just find it difficult to be that impressed/enthused by any of it. Oh well. At least what's-his-name got one zinger before that hilariously one-sided flexing/schooling.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 01-05-2020 at 06:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Finally got around to reading this. I know there's quality world-building and dialogue in there, but, I dunno, given how the thing most likely (read: totally) was delayed so Hickman could rewrite the entire Summit in neat bullet point format to shut down the Krakoa critics, I just find it difficult to be that impressed/enthused by any of it. Oh well. At least what's-his-name got one got zinger before that hilariously one-sided flexing/schooling.
    Yeah, I gotta admit, I hate when authors do that. It's so arrogant and, honestly, tells me nothing about why I should actually be impressed. In fact, all it communicates is: "This writer says he's right." Which...again. Narratively, it's not effective.

Like it would have been so much more effective to see these criticisms acted out in future plots; challenge it directly, prove them wrong, don't just say they're wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Yeah, I gotta admit, I hate when authors do that. It's so arrogant and, honestly, tells me nothing about why I should actually be impressed. In fact, all it communicates is: "This writer says he's right." Which...again. Narratively, it's not effective.

Like it would have been so much more effective to see these criticisms acted out in future plots; challenge it directly, prove them wrong, don't just say they're wrong!
    You should have seen the issue of Avengers Jason Aaron put out about his response to criticism of him mishandling She-Hulk. Its certainly something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    You should have seen the issue of Avengers Jason Aaron put out about his response to criticism of him mishandling She-Hulk. Its certainly something.
    What he say??

BANNED

Wouldn't it be funny that after the 3 page preview got such a reaction page four showed what the x-women were doing during that? I would suggest waiting for the whole issue before accusing the writer of something.

And seeing what they try here, Greg Rucka should get back into the X-Universe. He would get more great stories out of it.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 01-06-2020 at 03:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That does not surprise me. Aaron has a Habit of getting over the top with a Point he tries to make. It It is one of my main Critics of him.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Wouldn't it be funny that after the 3 page preview got such a reaction page four showed what the x-women were doing during that? I would suggest waiting for the whole issue before accusing the writer of something.

And seeing what they try here, Greg Rucka should get back into the X-Universe. He would get more great stories out of it.
    Well they weren't specifically here during this meeting, but I guess that's because they wanted to "scare" or look menacing towards the humans rather than really delve into Krakoa's economics affairs. If it really was about Krakoa's economic plans than Emma or Shaw could have worked better (I would have sent the Spring Council instead of the Autumn).

Emma and Moira are still two of the most important people on the island so I'm not complaining about female representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    What he say??
    She-Hulk is known for not really transforming into a wild beast when in Hulk mode.

Aaron made it so she did, which basically makes her the same as Bruce.

Everyone hated it, and then he wrote an issue about how she hated that people were constantly sexualizing and harassing her, and becoming all savage is very freeing for her. Though now she got a new costume though that is even more skimpy than the ones she used to wear when she wasn't extra buff. I wonder if he's just trolling everyone or what...

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I'll just repeat that my issue with this one was what mostly Apocalypse said. He utterly undermined Charles and Erik particularly with his insane assertion the end of the Bronze Age was caused by him. Ok...? Charles/Erik were trying to make the point that humans themselves were causing these collapses dude lmao. So ridiculously stupid not to mention how exactly does that engender sympathy for Krakoa in any way?

Erik's remarks were also pompous I felt and overly aggressive although nowhere near as loony as Apoc's.

So yeah I didn't read this the same way many of y'all did sorry.

It was nice for Chuck to finally display his face but we saw it previously in a HoX/PoX issue anyhow. Talking to Forge. Plus we saw it when he was a corpse in XForce too.

It was weird what Chuck said about he loves humans still and he's showing his love by trying to adopt their own tactics for the new mutant nation. Like... eh... that's just clever rhetoric honestly not sure I take much from it.

I still have a hard time accepting Krakoa is a sustainable situation longer-term for a variety of reasons (meta-reason #1 is MCU will absolutely not implement it)

*Obligatory note that I'm open-minded about Krakoa and I love the idea of books about "mutantkind" as opposed to just "XMen"
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I'll just repeat that my issue with this one was what mostly Apocalypse said. He utterly undermined Charles and Erik particularly with his insane assertion the end of the Bronze Age was caused by him. Ok...? Charles/Erik were trying to make the point that humans themselves were causing these collapses dude lmao. So ridiculously stupid not to mention how exactly does that engender sympathy for Krakoa in any way?

Erik's remarks were also pompous I felt and overly aggressive although nowhere near as loony as Apoc's.

So yeah I didn't read this the same way many of y'all did sorry.

It was nice for Chuck to finally display his face but we saw it previously in a HoX/PoX issue anyhow. Talking to Forge. Plus we saw it when he was a corpse in XForce too.

It was weird what Chuck said about he loves humans still and he's showing his love by trying to adopt their own tactics for the new mutant nation. Like... eh... that's just clever rhetoric honestly not sure I take much from it.

I still have a hard time accepting Krakoa is a sustainable situation longer-term for a variety of reasons (meta-reason #1 is MCU will absolutely not implement it)
    That's...not what he said at all?

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

Well, Hickman did say in the beginning of the HoX/PoX era that he sees Magneto as a villain, so writing him this way seems consistent with that.