Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Deadpool 3 in the works at Marvel Studios

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/d...ds-1203452448/

Ryan Reynolds has confirmed what numerous executives have danced around since Disney acquired 20th Century Fox this year — “Deadpool 3” is coming, and will now be in the hands of Marvel Studios.

Appearing on a holiday edition of “Live With Kelly and Ryan,” the actor told hosts Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest that his potty-mouthed superhero is returning with another sequel in the blockbuster franchise.

“We’re working on it right now with the whole team,” Reynolds said. “We’re over at Marvel, which is the big leagues all of a sudden. It’s kind of crazy.”
    So it’s happening. Deadpool is joining the MCU, and the plan is to keep it R-rated. It’ll be interesting to see how they pull it off. The writers have outright stated the plan is for it to be set in the MCU, Ryan Reynolds did recently visit Marvel, and there's that "Phase 5" teaser Reynolds posted up. Could Iger make good on what he said about R-rated MCU movies being possible? Anyways, glad to have confirmation.

I also wonder about the title. Since they're essentially rebooting Deadpool in the MCU, they're unlikely to call it Deadpool 3, especially considering they'll want to distance themselves from Fox as a whole. A fan made the perfect logo and title right here, and I wouldn't mind if they went with it.

Although DP's connection to the X-Men mythos has been variable, he's still a part of it, having originated in the New Mutants and having many close associations with the X-Men and mutant population (despite not technically being a mutant himself, funnily enough). The fact that they're greenlighting Deadpool for Phase 5 kind of soft confirms the other mutant projects for that slate, I'd say. It might be interesting to you guys.

Thoughts?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/d...ds-1203452448/

So it’s happening. Deadpool is joining the MCU, and the plan is to keep it R-rated. It’ll be interesting to see how they pull it off. The writers have outright stated the plan is for it to be set in the MCU, Ryan Reynolds did recently visit Marvel, and there's that "Phase 5" teaser Reynolds posted up. Could Iger make good on what he said about R-rated MCU movies being possible? Anyways, glad to have confirmation.

I also wonder about the title. Since they're essentially rebooting Deadpool in the MCU, they're unlikely to call it Deadpool 3, especially considering they'll want to distance themselves from Fox as a whole. A fan made the perfect logo and title right here, and I wouldn't mind if they went with it.

Although DP's connection to the X-Men mythos has been variable, he's still a part of it, having originated in the New Mutants and having many close associations with the X-Men and mutant population (despite not technically being a mutant himself, funnily enough). The fact that they're greenlighting Deadpool for Phase 5 kind of soft confirms the other mutant projects for that slate, I'd say. It might be interesting to you guys.

Thoughts?
    At least some X-Men are bound to be introduced into the MCU this way.

I wonder would they keep the supporting cast they were using in Deadpool I and II? I liked them. Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Colossus, Domingo, and Cable were all great. This would be a great way to introduce Psylocke (Kwannon) into the MCU.

I had some ideas for how integrating Deadpool in the MCU can work. What do you think?
    • Deadpool here is a rebooted version of the character, but with the same actor, personality, characterization, and mannerisms. Think kinda like J.J. in Far From Home, but on a much larger scale. Deadpool here will have a backstory tied to the MCU's history, and featuring Weapon X and Wolverine being a part of his origins, rather than Ajax's trafficking ring. Of course, DP being who he is, will acknowledge Hollywood's lame tendency to reboot, and maybe even sort of suggest he lived all of the experiences of his FoX-Men self out but then everything became a blur when a buyout was made, I mean, when the multiverse got disrupted.
    • He'll also be the only one who gets rebooted like this, allowing them to both do a different but true take but also free up the characters associated with him. Particularly there's Colossus, a core X-Man, who likely won't be tied to DP's misadventures in the MCU. It worked in DP's FoX-Men movies, because Fox gave **** all about timeline and consistency, but not so much in the storytelling context of the MCU. Same deal with Cable, who has a wealth of stories to tell without being tied exclusively to Deadpool, especially with the other X-Men (also he's played by Josh Brolin, which would be weird because Thanos). Likewise, on a team level, the X-Force needs to be redone after Deadpool 2 made it a joke. It's only a natural decision when crossing universes to take what works and change what doesn't to get a fresh start.
    • His movies will be R-rated, handled under Fox as a distributor, and will be marketed right to make sure there's no confusion of the content. It'll still be produced and managed by Kevin Feige, with Rhett Reese, Patrick Wernick, and Reynolds himself as the writers. Also, it'll have no bearing, or at least very little, on the overall story of the MCU. That's because as an R-rated movie, they likely wouldn't want to place importance on the story that kids and families will have to watch to fully understand. Yet it's also still undoubtedly set in the MCU status quo, and will use that to enrich the experience.
    • That said, he won't be isolated like the supposedly MCU TV shows of the past. He'll still appear in crossovers and team-ups that are PG-13. In those instances, Deadpool will be toned down with no F-bombs and no fourth wall breaking, and will basically be the funny guy who quips and make wisecracks, and is basically on the side as memorable but unimportant, that the others view as some odd eccentric who's still useful in the fight. For those who watch the Deadpool movies, he'll be a bonus, while the kids can get the gist of him as a side character. That's basically how comics do it anyways.
    • The theatrical and home releases will be R, while an alternate, PG-13 take will be filmed for streaming and as a separate option, mainly for Disney+'s benefit since they refuse to allow R-rated content on the service and it'll be the only home of Marvel for streaming going forward. It'll also give people an incentive to pick up the Blu-Ray or the digital copy, to get the best version. It'll create complaints, but this is the best, and most realistic, compromise.

BANNED

...and no fourth wall breaking...
    Fortunately you're not writing the movies.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

If it's still Ryan Reynolds DP, I'm still indifferent. lol Didn't care for his version. It's like all the comic versions I hate. Waypool, Thompon(s)Pool, BendisPool, PakPool.

But hopefully ALL the X-Men will get better casting in the MCU, because I don't think FOX did a good job with anyone -besides Fassbender as Magneto.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    But hopefully ALL the X-Men will get better casting in the MCU, because I don't think FOX did a good job with anyone -besides Fassbender as Magneto.
    Sorry, but you're categorically wrong.

Sir Patrick Stewart was the best Xavier in ANY medium, (SirPatStew > Comics Xavier) and Hugh Jackman doesn't become by being poorly cast. While not my original choice, Dafne Keen was perfect, and Olivia Munn was well cast, the only problem was that she simply wasn't given enough to do. Ditto for Alan Cummings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    He's right, keep the fourth wall intact in the MCU.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I said OUTSIDE his own movies and in the PG-13 crossovers. Were you even paying attention?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    He's right, keep the fourth wall intact in the MCU.
    Then what’s the point of even having him interact with the rest of the MCU? I EXPECT Wade to look at Cap and ask him where Reed and Sue are, or to call out the fact Rhodey was recast, while everyone else looks at him like he’s insane. A Deadpool that doesn’t break the Fourth Wall is just a lazy Deathstroke parody.

Then what’s the point of even having him interact with the rest of the MCU? I EXPECT Wade to look at Cap and ask him where Reed and Sue are, or to call out the fact Rhodey was recast, while everyone else looks at him like he’s insane. A Deadpool that doesn’t break the Fourth Wall is just a lazy Deathstroke parody.
    No you can’t just have a serious Avengers scene and then follow it with DP breaking the fourth wall. That would ruin everything.

Exactly.

If you are buying up right to allow for the possibility while deciding to make a bunch of rules that Deadpool cannot comment on any of these possibilities that you have just bought IP to create, what is the point?

Just use another character.

Spectacular Member

No you can’t just have a serious Avengers scene and then follow it with DP breaking the fourth wall. That would ruin everything.
    Serious Avengers? The MCU is mostly successfully because they are super hero movie comedies.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Serious Avengers? The MCU is mostly successfully because they are super hero movie comedies.
    Way to exaggerate.

Sir Patrick Stewart was the best Xavier in ANY medium, (SirPatStew > Comics Xavier) and Hugh Jackman doesn't become by being poorly cast. While not my original choice, Dafne Keen was perfect, and Olivia Munn was well cast, the only problem was that she simply wasn't given enough to do. Ditto for Alan Cummings.
    You already beat me to Silver fang post that made me go , I was just thinking of the last good xmen movie where all the 3 casting (Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Dafeen Keen) in a fair world would have been nominated for academy awards for their work inLogan.

Anyway, its not the casting only, it what you can do with the casting and that is down to the story telling, that can help the cast do better in the role.

Anyway Deadpool 3 kind of seems irrelevant to me, Joker and Logan have done more good for r rated comic movies than Deadpool, even Legion on the small screen is the perfect example of good r rated xmen content that is better than Deadpool.

we have had 2 Deadpool movies. Although quite enjoyable I don't think should be the face of xmen movies, I would prefer for Disney to make Multiple Man as fox original planned which should be similar to Joker than giving us Deadpool 3, which let's face it is not fresh anymore.

I just hope Ryan Renyolds has a good experience with Deadpool 3. its not going to be easy to not have creative power anymore to the point of firing your own director like he did in Deadpool 2,
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-28-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Agreed. 100%. The casting was not the issue with FOX’s X-men. Not in the vast majority of cases anyway.