Mighty Member

Default Characters and Teams Golden to Silver Age

I'm curious what characters and teams carried over from Golden Age to Silver? Off the top of my head the only three I can think of are the Human Torch although his name was Jim Hammond and a different character was created in Johnny Storm, Namor and Captain America. The team that carries over I think is the Invaders. It really adds a lot of richness, context and history to the Marvel Universe when you read those GA stories especially with Cap and Namor and the references to the WWII era in later comics.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm curious what characters and teams carried over from Golden Age to Silver? Off the top of my head the only three I can think of are the Human Torch although his name was Jim Hammond and a different character was created in Johnny Storm, Namor and Captain America. The team that carries over I think is the Invaders. It really adds a lot of richness, context and history to the Marvel Universe when you read those GA stories especially with Cap and Namor and the references to the WWII era in later comics.
    In terms of continuous publication? None.

Cap's book was canceled in 1954. That year also saw the final appearances of the Torch & Namor for several years. For the rest of the 1950s, Atlas Comics didn't publish super-heroes at all. They did a lot of other genres, tho, like war & espionage, which were superhero-adjacent.

As for the Invaders, their adventures may have taken place DURING WW2, but the actual team was created by Roy Thomas retroactively in 1969. There was a similar team called the All-Winners Squad, but that group only had two apperances in 1946.

In modern continuity, the Invaders and All-Winners Squad are the same team. They renamed after the war ended, and of course the Cap and Bucky on the AWS aren't the originals. We usually only see their wartime adventures, of course.

You're right that nobody had a continuous publication history. Captain America returned in Avengers in 1963, Namor in Fantastic Four in 1962, and the android Human Torch was used in Vision's original origin, though that was later retconned so they could being Jim Hammond back. The reason they didn't bring him back earlier was that they'd instead created a legacy character - the Fantastic Four's Johnny Storm. Whizzer was reused when the Squadron Supreme debuted, as that team are counterparts of the Justice League, so the pre-existing speedster was used as Flash's expy. Many other golden age hero names were given to completely new characters - among them Vision, Black Widow, Destroyer, Angel, and eventually (in the 2000s) Miss America.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

For reference, Marvel's various Golden Age characters and teams:

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar