45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay! The JSA is back in the main DC Earth where they belong

25 55.56%
  • Nay! Should have just kept them on Earth 2 like back in Pre-Crisis time

20 44.44%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default The JSA Back On Main Earth

According to the ending of Doomsday Clock, we're supposed to see the return of the Justice Society Of America on the main Earth since DC rebooted its universe to become the New 52. At the time a lot of people complained about removing the JSA from the main timeline, arguing that it took away DC's legacy of superheroes. However after Doomsday Clock issue 12 came out, there have been people complaining about bringing the JSA back arguing that it removes the impact heroes like Superman and Batman left on the superhero community. Well, what's your stance?

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    According to the ending of Doomsday Clock, we're supposed to see the return of the Justice Society Of America on the main Earth since DC rebooted its universe to become the New 52. At the time a lot of people complained about removing the JSA from the main timeline, arguing that it took away DC's legacy of superheroes. However after Doomsday Clock issue 12 came out, there have been people complaining about bringing the JSA back arguing that it removes the impact heroes like Superman and Batman left on the superhero community. Well, what's your stance?

I'm not aware of any active fan movement arguing against the return of the JSA and if there is such a movement I can't help but think that it's a very small faction of fandom compared to a vast majority of fans who have been chomping at the bit for years to have the classic JSA restored properly and given their own title back...They are the first super-team and, in my humble opinion, they're the best. End of story.

BANNED

Doesn't matter to me since two of the main Earths don't have a JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    I'm not aware of any active fan movement arguing against the return of the JSA and if there is such a movement I can't help but think that it's a very small faction of fandom compared to a vast majority of fans who have been chomping at the bit for years to have the classic JSA restored properly and given their own title back...They are the first super-team and, in my humble opinion, they're the best. End of story.
    Agree with this. I just want the JSA back and look forward to an ongoing again.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Won't exactly 100 percent the same as pre flashpoint. Maybe just 80 percent, both Wildcat and Dr.Mid-Night female legacies never died. Then again I prefer them over their later day male legacies.

Damage never died in this restored timeline, they're still sticking with the Nu52 Blackest Night. Which was mostly regular non heroes as the undeads. With some exceptions.

The Rebirth Hawkman overrides what Johns did to Hawkman.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    The complaining about the absence of the JSA with nu52 was pretty big and encompassing. Within the JSA fanbase (at least on these boards) there are groups who prefer them on the main Earth or on a separate Earth 2. I believe most JSA fans here are glad to see them back, even if they're not on their own Earth.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I prefer them being on the main Earth and a mix of the OG lineup and newer generation, a la the Johns run. Putting them on Earth 2 "where they can be their own Justice League." Really translates to "expendable and will not be appearing outside of crossovers" in my experience.

I'm fine with them not being the last line of defense against threats to Earth.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I prefer them being on the main Earth and a mix of the OG lineup and newer generation, a la the Johns run. Putting them on Earth 2 "where they can be their own Justice League." Really translates to "expendable and will not be appearing outside of crossovers" in my experience.

I'm fine with them not being the last line of defense against threats to Earth.
    Exactly my own experience.

I like them on their own earth. I agree they might be infrequently used there (though it's not a guarantee), but I find their presence on main earth if they are kept as 1940s debuts to be a great big continuity problem (getting worse as time passes and we get further and further away from the 1940s) and demote Superman (who I like as first superhero) and completely change the tone of Barry taking the name Flash. If fans were willing to time-slide them like we do every other hero (and like the JSA was often treated in the earlier 1970s), then same earth would probably be acceptable (solves Superman problem, but not the Barry one). I also find them living for decades after their spouses/lovers/friends (and eventually kids or stepkids) die depressing and off-tone for the group and do think they are also-rans in a world with a JLA. But yeah, I'm one who likes them on another earth because I find their presence on main earth to cause continuity/logic problems for the trinity and silver-age-same-names. And I care more about those guys than the JSA. Sorry.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-28-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It's not like there can't be more than one version out there. I think the "main" Earth should always be a "clutter" Earth. I just hope it's like the pre-Flashpoint JSA.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Justice Society's problem is that we're a couple of days away from the year 2020, and they're supposed to have been active since 1940? If they were 20 years old then, they'd be 100 now. They should either be dead or close to it by that point - except maybe for Jay Garrick, since you don't age while trapped in the Speed Force (in fact, both Wally and Bart came out de-aged, so Jay probably would too).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Should be on their own Earth. I absolutely hate them shoehorned on the same Earth as the JLA. I believe it serves neither generation well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Imagine if they sliding scale WW2 for Earth 0.

Didn't Ian Karkull magics made them stay young for a long time?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Justice Society's problem is that we're a couple of days away from the year 2020, and they're supposed to have been active since 1940? If they were 20 years old then, they'd be 100 now. They should either be dead or close to it by that point - except maybe for Jay Garrick, since you don't age while trapped in the Speed Force (in fact, both Wally and Bart came out de-aged, so Jay probably would too).
    Use that 90s excuse that the OGs left to fight Ragnarok following the HUAC trials. Much like Captain America's ice nap, you just bring them back on a sliding time scale.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I agree. I don't think the JSA should be the same guys who were active in 1940. If they're to be in the continuity of the main Earth the current 2020 JSA should be entirely new faces, cept Wonder Woman and maybe Jay Garrick who ages slower due to the Speed Force. Jade is Alan's legacy, just like Courtney and/or Jack is Ted Knight's legacy- but Alan and Ted have both been dead for years. The OG guys are only for "untold tales of the Justice Society" or alive in the memories of their kin/people inspired by them.

I'd like to limit the actual number of kin, too. The current JSA can be manned by grandchildren and those who were inspired by the original Justice Society, as well as new folks.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-28-2019 at 09:49 PM.