Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I have a controversial theory. They realize the YJ 4 aren’t cutting it anymore so they use them to keep vocal fans appeased while they try to introduce other characters that might eventually go somewhere.
    If SB and WG’s development end up falling flat like Tim going to Drake did, I can def see this being the case.

Astonishing Member

I have a controversial theory. They realize the YJ 4 arenÂ’t cutting it anymore so they use them to keep vocal fans appeased while they try to introduce other characters that might eventually go somewhere.
    A lot of characters at DC aren't cutting it and that's due to DC editorial incompetence. Why would they keep the YJ 4 around to appease fans? Current DC and past DC never cared about appeasing fans.

They'll appease a fanbase if the character is favored by the higher ups(Hal Jordan) but never appease fans if the characters/ groups aren't favored.

How many do we have on the roster? Seven, maybe eight? That's no larger a roster than the typical DC book, and a smaller roster than many of the team books Bendis has written in the past.

Hell, the roster isn't any bigger than the original YJ lineup either. We had the core 4 plus Arrowette, Secret, and Empress, with Slobo eventually coming in to replace Cissie when she retired, and a bunch of other characters who came in and out temporarily like the Ray. And all of them got their moments in the spotlight with the core 4 being put into the background a little bit too, just like today.

The only problem with the roster is that Naomi isn't a permanent addition.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-30-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I don't have an issue with the roster, but I'm a couple of issues away from dropping the book as it hasn't gone anywhere.
    I'm giving it another issue or two to deliver a payoff or I'm gone.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I feel like the Sideways, Arrowette, Aqualad, and Spoiler team-up is mimicking issue #21 of the original. Where Flamebird, Beast Boy, CM3, Lagoon Boy, and Bat Girl teamed up for an issue but didn't join the team.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    A lot of characters at DC aren't cutting it and that's due to DC editorial incompetence. Why would they keep the YJ 4 around to appease fans? Current DC and past DC never cared about appeasing fans.

They'll appease a fanbase if the character is favored by the higher ups(Hal Jordan) but never appease fans if the characters/ groups aren't favored.
    They do appeasement books sometimes, like Rebirth Titans. There is no reason for YJ to be doing as mediocre as it seems to be doing. YJ got a good rollout, with one of DCs probably highest payed creators even, and relative freedom. DC wants a line of young characters, and now this is the second time they try to launch that line around the YJ4. Superboy is the only one out of the YJ4 other media seems interested in, while at the same time this YJ book got a substantially bigger rollout only to do comparative to the current Teen Titans. So maybe they are finally seeing the writing on the wall.

I think maybe now they are trying to hit with whatever they can the with all the new characters, while at the same time don’t want to deal with the vocal minority demanding where the YJ4 are like the had to deal with with Damian and Jon.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-30-2019 at 05:08 PM.

I have a controversial theory. They realize the YJ 4 aren’t cutting it anymore so they use them to keep vocal fans appeased while they try to introduce other characters that might eventually go somewhere.
    I doubt that has anything to do with why Bendis is using them. I think he just likes them as characters.

There is no reason for YJ to be doing as mediocre as it seems to be doing.
    I just think the fandom doesn't care as much as we all thought it did.

Let's be real here, the last time any of the YJ4 held down a successful, popular solo was probably Lemire's Superboy series. The last time this group was in a popular, successful team book was probably Johns' Teen Titans. It's been a decade, minimum, since any of these characters actually mattered. It's been a long time since they were anything but abused, for that matter. The comic has no resemblance at all to the cartoon, and even that was off the air for a long damn time.

You can't screw these characters over and over again, over the course of decades, leave them in limbo for years, and then expect fans to flock to a new book.

How many fans said "Oh, a new Young Justice? Sorry, I finally learned my lesson after Lobdell's Teen Titans and I'm fed up." It's not just the quality of this book dictating sales, it's also fans reacting to the long-standing treatment these characters have seen. When you treat your characters like trash over and over again, is it any surprise that eventually the fans stop giving a damn?

And it's been a long time since Bendis was the huge sales powerhouse he used to be. Anyone expecting this book to move just because of his name hasnt been paying attention in recent years.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But it’s not for a lack of trying. The New 52 series turned out awful, but that wasn’t the intention. There was only 2 generations left after Flashpoint, the JL and the YJ4. What does that say. The YJ generation isn’t one that got the boot. They were new creators of the Teen Titans, and the flagship book of the Young Justice line.
    Only when that didn’t work out did they started going with Damian and Jon more, but that gen has barely developed before the YJ4 were brought back to lead a young character line with an even bigger rollout. I know YJ gen fans like to spin that they have been treated like the original TTs gen or the JSA but that is simply not true. This YJ series is a good example, its a treatment saved for character’s like Batman and Superman. Yet fans still don’t seem to care. At what point do we ask whether this is fans still being angry, or YJ and this gen of characters just not being as popular as some think. And whats more are struggling to speak to new fans.

And here’s the thing, your right in that despite the attempts the YJ4 has really amounted to much in a long time nor does the cartoon even resemble the YJ comic. That’s kind of my point. It’s not just one end. They don’t seem to be amounting much in comics, while other media seems to have no interest in them beyond Superboy. So infuse new characters in in hopes one of them maybe catch.

And while yes Bendis does not move books like he use to, DC is still probably paying him on the higher end. So they aren’t just putting him on any book. They want him to create them a Miles or Ms. Marvel. I think that’s rather obvious, and part of the reason we’re seeing so many new characters.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-30-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    How many do we have on the roster? Seven, maybe eight? That's no larger a roster than the typical DC book, and a smaller roster than many of the team books Bendis has written in the past.

Hell, the roster isn't any bigger than the original YJ lineup either. We had the core 4 plus Arrowette, Secret, and Empress, with Slobo eventually coming in to replace Cissie when she retired, and a bunch of other characters who came in and out temporarily like the Ray. And all of them got their moments in the spotlight with the core 4 being put into the background a little bit too, just like today.

The only problem with the roster is that Naomi isn't a permanent addition.
    I was just about to ask this, YJ was my very first comic and I remember like 10 characters being in it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

I wonder how the readers will react if YJ never return but turn into DC's Exiles.
    Last edited by Desmark; 12-30-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I wonder how the readers react if YJ never return but turn into DC's Exiles.
    They 'll be better off than Dick 's generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I wonder how the readers will react if YJ never return but turn into DC's Exiles.
    I'd much rather them do that with alt universe version of characters than with the YJ team
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Have anti monitor erase them all.

Mighty Member

They do appeasement books sometimes, like Rebirth Titans. There is no reason for YJ to be doing as mediocre as it seems to be doing. YJ got a good rollout, with one of DCs probably highest payed creators even, and relative freedom. DC wants a line of young characters, and now this is the second time they try to launch that line around the YJ4. Superboy is the only one out of the YJ4 other media seems interested in, while at the same time this YJ book got a substantially bigger rollout only to do comparative to the current Teen Titans. So maybe they are finally seeing the writing on the wall.

I think maybe now they are trying to hit with whatever they can the with all the new characters, while at the same time don’t want to deal with the vocal minority demanding where the YJ4 are like the had to deal with with Damian and Jon.
    Simply wrong..

There are MANY reasons like I already said:

1.) The label Wonder Comics:
    Wonder Comics are designed for younger readers and I strictly believe that Conner,Tim,Bart and Cassie dont fit in this label.

2.) The team is to crowded and Conner,Cassie,Tim and Bart are often "sidelined".

3.) The Line-Up of the team

4.) I didnt like the storylines

5.) Like I told https://community.cbr.com/showthread...77#post4754177 here I STRICTLY believe that this Conner is not a good version of himself.

The Teen Titans INSTEAD:

1.) are published under the "normal" label

2.) The Team is small

3.) Their Line-up is better

4.) I like their storylines more

Its really simple: I am a big fan of Conner,Tim,Bart and Cassie....BUT I strictly believe that the TT are the better book, because I like their storylines more, their team is smaller and the line-up of the team seems to be more natural...

Conner,Cassie,Bart and Tim still have an incredible big Fan-Base and I also believe that they could easily surpass 99% of the other series, if they are:

1. FINALLY aged up to 20-21 years
    2. get a BIGGER role
    3. like I said here with Conner https://community.cbr.com/showthread...77#post4754177 for example a good combination of the old YJ and TT Versions
    4. get a team alone (Conner,Cassie,Bart,Tim and maybe Miss Martian or so as 5. member)
    5. other storylines...