Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Red Robin vs Drake

Hello,

I personally HATE!!!! the Drake Codename and Outfit.

I DONT understand why they had it to change to Drake and especially give him this outfit with this colors.
    Red Robin with the Pre-Flashpoint and Red Robin with the NEW52 outfits worked PERFECTLY for me.

His "brothers"
    Nightwing and Red Hood got a cool costume with cool code-names and I was also ok with the Red Robin Version, but I absolutely HATE the Drake Idea.

Both names are stupid to me. Red Robin has had some cool costumes, and a couple I didn't care for and one absolutely derivative one (as the name was) where you wouldn't know he wasn't just Robin.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I like Drake as a codename.
    In general, I think most hero names are silly.
    Batman, Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. are actually very goofy but they are iconic and everyone is used to them. So no one complains.
    Although in the end, everything comes down to personal preference. For example, I personally don't like the Nightwing identity - and I don't like any of his costumes.
    Red Hood and Red Robin have the problem that they are color dependent. You can't really design a costume without putting some red in it. In the case of Red Hood it's even more specific.
    "Drake" doesn't have the problem. It's also not heavily linked to the Batman franchise like Batgirl, Batwoman or Batwing.
    It's easier for Tim to finally push for independence as a character with a name that isn't associated with Batman or Robin.

The Drake costume is bad - but the name is alright alot better than Red Robin atleast.

I reckon with a slighlty different costume the name will work!

Incredible Member

Red Robin eventually reverted the character into Robin lite after less than 10 years. Atleast with Drake, no civilian or villain will confuse him with another hero.

Drake > Red Robin

Despite the jokes (Red Robin! Yummm!), Red Robin is better. Especially since it was implicitly said that "Drake" was for the duck, not the dragon.

The costume needs a new color scheme. It’d look better in black or red instead of brown.
    The name? That’s just awful.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Also, it's his real name. Maybe it's hiding in plain sight, but a duck has a different image than a robin, which is more innocent and romantic. Ducks are loud, walk in a row, looks funny from behind, and can be nasty when disturbed. Does that image fit Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Also, it's his real name. Maybe it's hiding in plain sight, but a duck has a different image than a robin, which is more innocent and romantic. Ducks are loud, walk in a row, looks funny from behind, and can be nasty when disturbed. Does that image fit Tim?
    ^^^No it doesn’t fit Atom at all.

As an aside, I fail to see the issue w. multiple Robins. There are multiple earth born GLs, they all use the name, the same (basic) costume, and each manages to bring their own flavor to it all. The Robin costume is a classic, and a variation from user to user would be just fine.

Let's be real, the majority of Super Hero names are lame or sound silly.. at least until you get used to them. As for Red Robin or Drake, neither are too bad. But since there is already a 'Robin' in the Bat Fam, my choice;

Drake>Red Robin

Also, it's his real name.
    I have a similar problem with Troia.

And I agree that ducks don't have the right rep. Either silly-looking or rapey, depending on context. Robin is not a name I think would ever be chosen for a male hero now (though originally it was a Robin Hood reference rather than bird one, and that does make a difference), either, but it's grandfathered in, like the (I think) boring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. They have weight because of history, but I'd never name a new, non-derivative hero with "man," "woman," "boy," or "girl" as part of the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have a similar problem with Troia.

And I agree that ducks don't have the right rep. Either silly-looking or rapey, depending on context. Robin is not a name I think would ever be chosen for a male hero now (though originally it was a Robin Hood reference rather than bird one, and that does make a difference), either, but it's grandfathered in, like the (I think) boring Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. They have weight because of history, but I'd never name a new, non-derivative hero with "man," "woman," "boy," or "girl" as part of the name.
    Donna lacking a decent codename is another beast of its own. I personally would go with something starry-like; I can't remember why, but I feel she fits that theme. Does DC have an Astrea (edit: well, Astraea, it seems, it's the right spelling in English)? That name is cool (edit: with cool mythology behind).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-29-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Despite the jokes (Red Robin! Yummm!), Red Robin is better. Especially since it was implicitly said that "Drake" was for the duck, not the dragon.

Is that official with the duck? I only remember someone saying something like Drake is the most dangerous bird. Was there more context?

Astonishing Member

Drake is a better name than Red Robin. The problem is that the costume color scheme doesn't fit Tim at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Is that official with the duck? I only remember someone saying something like Drake is the most dangerous bird. Was there more context?
    The scan had Earth 3 Drake (or whichever) say he took the name "after the most dangerous bird".