Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Drake is an infinitely better name than Red Robin. I never understood why DC decided, of all the things from Kingdom Come to bring into the main DCU, the Red Robin name should be among them. Even setting aside the well known restaurant chain it's just a lazy, stupid name. I'm sure Waid never intended that name to go anywhere when he used it for a very minor background character in Kingdom Come.

And there was never any purpose to Tim using the name either. Jason brought it back with him after his adventures in the multiverse, and Tim just sort of ended up with it for....reasons. But some of the costumes have been pretty good.

Drake is far superior as a name. And yeah, a duck isn't exactly a terrifying murder bird, but neither is a robin so it's not like Tim is losing anything. The fact that anybody can say with a straight face that "Robin" is a better name because ducks are lame needs a reality check. Robins aren't impressive birds either. Drake refers to dragons as well, which does give it at least a tiny, tiny slice of mythological/folklore badassness. And it's Tim's actual name and modern Tim has that "too smart for everyone in the room" snarky attitude so I can see him going by Drake just as a smartass joke.

I personally like the Drake costume. I mean, really if you just look at the lines it's a fairly generic suit that wouldn't be out of place on a Robin, or any other street level Gotham type of hero. It's not a groundbreaking design but it's not a bad one either. The color scheme sets it apart and makes it stand out. Plus, brown isn't a color you see often in comics, yet with the right shade it's not a ugly color at all. So, really, win/win.
    I concur wholeheartedly ^^

i'm not a huge fan of it but the name Drake is growing on me and the suit never bothered me (I honestly wish they had given it to Duke since i like it so much) in the first place.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-30-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

They're both trash if we're being absolutely honest. Red Robin makes it sound like he can't move on and Drake is just bleh. I do prefer Drake though.
    Last edited by 9th.; 12-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I wonder is Drake copyrighted? 3 years ago Rhianna was blocked by WB from using the name Robin [her real name] for her Clothes and lifestyle line. Now here we are.

Drake is a cool name the only issue is that it's Tim real name but if the writers don't want it to be an issue then it won't

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Usually that kind of copyright issues exist only if the name can be related to another brand which sells the same kind of product: in fact the Apple Record (the Beatles' record company) sued the Apple Computer for the use of the name Apple, but lost the lawsuit because the computers are a totally different kind of products than the music records and when the Apple Computer started to sell music had to create the brand "i-Tunes Music Store"; same thing (I think) for Rihanna: she can create a clothes and lifestyle line and because her first name is Robin a Robin brand can be erroneously related to her. Then the use of the brand Drake can be problematic only if a character with that name already exists and it doesn't matters if this hypothetical character is a character of video games, novels, cartoons; but if the name Drake is related to another product (like an airplane) there shouldn't be any copyright infringement.

P.S. Fun fact: Ford sued the Ferrari, because the Ferrari named a Formula One car F-150 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Italian unification.

Tim just can't win when it comes to identities.

On anyone else, Drake wouldn't be a bad codename. But the fact that it's also his real name makes it a no for me. Red Robin was also dumb but I'll take that over Drake.

The only thing dumber than those names is Orphan ((Just make Cass Black Bat again. Please!))

Drake I find completely ridiculous because just calling him that is just calling him by his name. How do you even know if someone's using the codename or just calling him by his last name?

Red Robin was at least obviously a codename.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Tim just can't win when it comes to identities.

On anyone else, Drake wouldn't be a bad codename. But the fact that it's also his real name makes it a no for me. Red Robin was also dumb but I'll take that over Drake.

The only thing dumber than those names is Orphan ((Just make Cass Black Bat again. Please!))
    Put me down another vote on Red Robin and Black Bat rather than Drake and Orphan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Despite the jokes (Red Robin! Yummm!), Red Robin is better. Especially since it was implicitly said that "Drake" was for the duck, not the dragon.

Btw I take offense to this. DW is one bad ass mofo.