Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default CBR Ranks the Legion of Super-Heroes Teams Through the Ages

I don't agree with #9 being so low. Should be much higher IMO. Definitely agree with the Top 2. But it's an interesting list.

https://www.cbr.com/legion-of-super-...-teams-ranked/

10. Bendis Era (current)

9. The Bronze Age Era (1973-1981)

8. New 52 Era (2011-2014)

7. Dark Era Legion Lost/Legion Worlds (1999-2004)

6. Five Years Later Era Giffen/Bierbaums (1989-1994)

5. Threeboot Era Waid/Kitson (2004-2009)

4. Zero Hour Era (1994-2000)

3. Infinite Crisis Era (2007-2011)

2. The Adventure Comics Era (1959-1969)

1. The Paul Levitz Era (1981-1989)

Was the Bronze Age Legion an absolute dumpster fire? Cause ranking it below the New 52 Legion seems harsh.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Was the Bronze Age Legion an absolute dumpster fire? Cause ranking it below the New 52 Legion seems harsh.
    It contained some weak periods - specifically toward the end of the era. But it should rank higher strictly based on the art of Dave Cockrum and Mike Grell in the early issues. Plus, this time includes the weddings of Bouncing Boy/Duo Damsel and Lightning Lad/Saturn Girl. Plus, includes Earth War.

I'm not the biggest Legion head but ranking the 73-81 stories that low seems crazy to me? Wasn't that peak superhero soap opera Legion, plus classic Grell and Cockrum? PLUS the debuts of Dawnstar, Wildfire and Blok? I'd put that ahead of any of the post-Giffen stuff.

Ah, I’ve read Earth War and the Garth/Imra wedding (these were part of the two Superboy and the LoSH hardcovers, no?). Didn’t realize that was part of the era in question — I would ABSOLUTELY rank those stories above the New 52, which were the low end of mediocrity AT BEST and downright bad at their worst.

I enjoyed the heck out of those hardcovers, though admittedly I haven’t read much Legion prior those stories.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The Dark Era Legion Lost/Legion Worlds era should just be the Zero-Hour Legion since its essentially the same thing.

Incredible Member

5YL wasnt messy; it was complicated, self-referential, and, believe, brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    5YL wasnt messy; it was complicated, self-referential, and, believe, brilliant.
    I totally agree, but I do think it was also "messy" as well, which sometimes yielded good results (the Time Trapper/Glorith transition) and sometimes bad results.(Bounty was Dawnstar?)

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    The Dark Era Legion Lost/Legion Worlds era should just be the Zero-Hour Legion since its essentially the same thing.
    It's the same continuity, but I can certainly understand separating the "Archie Legion" from the DnA/Coipel Legion. They're certainly different enough to constitute different "eras" to me.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-30-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No way the Waid/Kitson run should be number 5. It should be dropped back to at least number 7 if not all the way back to number 9. There was not one really great story that stand out of that whole run, and it is mostly remembered for Waid beating you over the head with his "message" than actual good stories.

I agree the 5yl should be higher... the new 52 was not bad ( ok the Team in 20th century was bad) but otherwise good .... the JL united one was confusing

the Bendis boot should not be there. For me it's the same sh?%$ as the team we saw in the JL 3000 ... a fantasy ... a bad story

3. Five Years Later Era Giffen/Bierbaums (1989-1994)
    4. The Bronze Age Era (1973-1981)
    5. Infinite Crisis Era (2007-2011)
    6. Dark Era Legion Lost/Legion Worlds (1999-2004)
    7. New 52 Era (2011-2014)
    8. Zero Hour Era (1994-2000)
    9. Threeboot Era Waid/Kitson (2004-2009)
    10. Bendis Era (current)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    No way the Waid/Kitson run should be number 5. It should be dropped back to at least number 7 if not all the way back to number 9. There was not one really great story that stand out of that whole run, and it is mostly remembered for Waid beating you over the head with his "message" than actual good stories.
    I completely agree with you. I think the reason CBR may have ranked it so high was the addition of Supergirl into the team and the title.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    the Bendis boot should not be there. For me it's the same sh?%$ as the team we saw in the JL 3000 ... a fantasy ... a bad story
    I agree it shouldn't be there, but for a different reason - it's not even finished it's first arc yet!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    3. Five Years Later Era Giffen/Bierbaums (1989-1994)
    4. The Bronze Age Era (1973-1981)
    5. Infinite Crisis Era (2007-2011)
    6. Dark Era Legion Lost/Legion Worlds (1999-2004)
    7. New 52 Era (2011-2014)
    8. Zero Hour Era (1994-2000)
    9. Threeboot Era Waid/Kitson (2004-2009)
    10. Bendis Era (current)
    This is probably pretty close to my feelings as well. But I'd like to make a couple of points, Some of these eras are pretty easily identifiable and memorable. Thus, they normally get pushed to one end of the scale or the other. Now those eras which don't quite have easily defined parameters, or seems to be made up to complete a set naturally for me drop in ratings. Legion Lost was a very good separate limited series which didn't really fit with anything else. I maintain that any era harder to define will end up lost in the bulge at the middle of the bell curve.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    It is harsh and wrong. So many great characters came out out of that era -- and Dave Cockrum. That's reason enough to rank it in at least the top 5.