Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Grudge (2020) got "F" cinemascore. It has only a 10 million budget made and 5.4 million on its opening day but it is hard to imagine something with that low of audience score not dropping of cliff the next week.
    Won't fall into bust category though. Its already at 17 million worldwide on a 10 million budget. Its marketing budget would be on the low end so its going to be closer to needing only make 1.5 times its budget to turn a profit so its already there. If it turns a profit, which this will, its not a bust.

Underwater made 6 million(50 to 80 million budget). Kristen Stewart with back to back bombs.. 1917(90 million budget) performed well 37 million knocking Star Wars to number 2.. Like a boss(29 million budget) and Just Mercy did about 10 mil each

Next week is Bad Boys for life and Dr Dolittle.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I think Bad Boys might flop. I mean, it's been 17 years since the last film, will anyone, including Will Smith fans care? Doolittle could well surprise with the box office win.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think Bad Boys might flop. I mean, it's been 17 years since the last film, will anyone, including Will Smith fans care? Doolittle could well surprise with the box office win.
    I don't think it will flop, I just don't see it being bad enough to flop the problem with Will smith movies isn't that they can't sell them to people is that they cost way more than should cost and they have a hard time returning the investment.Bad Boys for life is 90 million buddy cop movie it should be something like 40 to 60 million. But they say it is tracking for 40 to 45 million dollar opening on MLK weekend and that Ride Along and Ride Along 2 made 48.6 million and 41 million on the same weekend in recent years. Funnily enough Sony is projecting it to make 38 million.

Plus the two weekends after is weak competition imo, then competition heats up

Jan 24 The Gentlemen directed by Guy Ritchie starring Matthew Mcconaughey, Charlie Hunnam
    Jan 31 Hansel and Gretel ? The Rhythm Section?
    Feb 7 Birds of Prey
    Feb 14 Sonic the Hedgehog, Fantasy Island

I think Bad Boys 3 will at least do solid but 1917(and maybe Dr Doolittle) is going to cut into it a little.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-12-2020 at 04:00 AM.

And playmobil ends it's big screen run with $1.1 million! Ouch!!!!

https://comicbook.com/movies/2020/01...run-1-million/

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And playmobil ends it's big screen run with $1.1 million! Ouch!!!!

https://comicbook.com/movies/2020/01...run-1-million/
    That made last years list.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    But yea i don't know much about Chloe Zhao. I'm interested to see how the movie turns out. But as far as potential Eternals has as much as GOTG. All depends on the quality of the film. GOTG mad as much as it did based on Word of mouth. So we will see.
    Reaction to the film might depend on how awesome Jon Snow is as the Black Knight. And let's hope he isn't forced to kill Sersi...

Eternals is such an unknown right now, similar to GotG, but once people saw the trailer and Gunn's vision, people were on board.(or they at least knew what it was going to be like) The same will have to apply to this - we need to be shown what the vision is for this franchise.

In late December a few films were released the final 2-3 weeks of the year. The waiting game for a few depended on what the foreign markets would do as I waited . But well the dust is starting to settle on 2 of the films right now. One of these was one of the last animated films 21st Century Fox worked on as the sale to Disney happened and the other was a musical that many have joked has to be a drug induced nightmare.

Total Box Office : $59.7+ million worldwide

Total Production Budget : $95 Million

The past couple years musicals have managed to do well at the box office. Last year "The Greatest Showman" with Hugh Jackman became a worldwide hit and before a few others did very well. So Universal planned a big screen musical of the Broadway hit "Cats". The film starred Taylor Swift , Jennifer Hudson and Judi Dench in roles. When it arrived in opening week it crashed and burned with $6+ million opening weekend. To date domestically the film has done $26+ million.

Universal a few weeks ago is projected to lose $70+ million on this film. Comically the film was up for Oscar consideration and Universal pulled that campaign given the reaction to it. This after 2-3 weeks where like a video game they sent an patch to theaters for upgraded special effects for the film. There is only 3 markets left for it to open in and its doubtful it does anything better.

Total Box Office : $116+ million worldwide

Total Production Budget : $111 million

Released by 21st Century Fox , this film would arrive on Christmas weekend. An animated film based on a story , it starred Will Smith and Tom Holland in voice roles. The film opened ok but ended a terrible year of 21st Century Fox films that performed very terrible for new owner Disney. The film has 9 markets left international to open in but those markets aren't major ones and its doubtful the film will not be a bust at this stage.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I think what hurts Spies in Disguise is the initial trailer heavily pushed the "Spy turns into a pigeon" aspect which alot of people got irrirated at. Many comments were literally "An animated spy movie with Will Smith was my jam....then you turned him into a pidgeon, pass"

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think what hurts Spies in Disguise is the initial trailer heavily pushed the "Spy turns into a pigeon" aspect which alot of people got irrirated at. Many comments were literally "An animated spy movie with Will Smith was my jam....then you turned him into a pidgeon, pass"
    I think Disney should have pushed Spies into the 1st or 2nd week of January here. Instead of a very competitive Christmas slot.

Astonishing Member

I'm confident that "Cats" will become a cult classic along the lines of Rocky Horror Picture Show and "The Room".

Supposedly some theaters are having "meow-a-longs" that are already selling out. It might take them like 20 years to return a profit for the movie, but it will turn a profit eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    That's not what it's about? That's why I passed, no interest in Pgieon Will Smith.

Cant wait till Saturday night to watch Bad Boys 3. Is this tracking to do ok? Or Bomb?I know Doolittle is in trouble. Its opening weekend at my local theater only has it playing twice a day.

That's not what it's about? That's why I passed, no interest in Pgieon Will Smith.

Cant wait till Saturday night to watch Bad Boys 3. Is this tracking to do ok? Or Bomb?I know Doolittle is in trouble. Its opening weekend at my local theater only has it playing twice a day.
    I think the Pidgeon thing isnt as heavily pushed as the trailer suggests

Astonishing Member

Bad Boys just broke the record for January previews, it'll probably be fine.

Dolittle's the one that's expected to bomb big time, because of dumpster fire reviews and a ridiculous reported budget that's higher than the ones for the other wide new movies this month (The Grudge, Underwater and Bad Boys) combined.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Bad Boys just broke the record for January previews, it'll probably be fine.

Dolittle's the one that's expected to bomb big time, because of dumpster fire reviews and a ridiculous reported budget that's higher than the ones for the other wide new movies this month (The Grudge, Underwater and Bad Boys) combined.
    Apparently Doolittle had a executive meddling problem. As we saw with early DCEU films nothing good can come from that.