Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default 2020 Box Office Busts

With a couple days before the clock turns to 2020 , the last 2-3 weeks will see films released that we really can't decide are busts yet til the international box office weighs in and more weeks are spent to see how they do. But this thread will examine the 2020 films and what ones become Box Office busts in 2020.

Before we throw out Cats , Richard Jewell etc... a number of these films are still running. Both still have international markets left to open in this January. So once those get close to finishing If they make the list , I'll post it.

I also wanted to get this thread posted so we can move discussions of the list of the 24 box office busts of 2019 here I listed....

1- Replicas
    2- The Kid who Would Be King
    3- Alita : Battle Angel *
    4- Cold Pursuit
    5- Captive State
    6- Dumbo
    7- Hellboy
    8- Ugly Dolls
    9- Longshot
    10- Dark Phoenix
    11- Godzilla : King of Monsters
    12- Shaft
    13- MIB : International
    14- Brian Banks
    15- The Kitchen
    16- Ad Astra
    17- The Goldfinch
    18- Abominable
    19- Gemini Man
    20- The Current War
    21- Terminator : Dark Fate
    22- Dr. Sleep
    23- Playmobil
    24- Midway
    Also people can discuss if Rise of Skywalker is not performing as well as imagined as well here too.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Regarding Richard Jewell, I suspect that's going to be one of those films that stinks up the box office, but earns Oscar noms out the wazoo, perhaps even wins one or more.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Howabout Cats?

I read that it might lose the studio up to $71 million.

Ouch.

Astonishing Member

Will 2020 be one of the lowest box offices in the 2000's? Will there be only one movie that crosses 400M domestic(Wonder Woman)? Maybe no movie will cross a billion. I know we are talking potential busts but 2020 is looking to be one of the weakest years in a long time.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Will 2020 be one of the lowest box offices in the 2000's? Will there be only one movie that crosses 400M domestic(Wonder Woman)? Maybe no movie will cross a billion. I know we are talking potential busts but 2020 is looking to be one of the weakest years in a long time.
    The only Marvel movie (that I know of) coming out in 2020 is Black Widow, but I doubt ScarJo as a headliner can command anywhere near those kind of numbers. Still, not many people thought Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man would be hits, so who knows what might end up happening.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-30-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The only Marvel movie (that I know of) coming out in 2020 is Black Widow, but I doubt ScarJo as a headliner can command anywhere near those kind of numbers. Still, not many people thought Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man would be hits, so who knows what might end up happening.
    The Eternals has a release date of November 6 2020. So Marvel has two coming out next year. I dont think The Eternals will do as good as the others. I have a feeling it may be their lowest showing.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

While I don't think it will be as big as this year there are still plenty of big films coming out this year that I doubt will make it a stinker.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    While I don't think it will be as big as this year there are still plenty of big films coming out this year that I doubt will make it a stinker.
    I dont think it will be a stinker. But I think it will be among the lowest grossing Marvel Films.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I dont think it will be a stinker. But I think it will be among the lowest grossing Marvel Films.
    Yeah I don't think Black Widow or The Eternals will do Avengers numbers I think they'll do well enough.

Yeah I don't think Black Widow or The Eternals will do Avengers numbers I think they'll do well enough.
    Black widow has a smaller budget then Antman which was a hit at 500m. So anything north of 500m is gonna be good for Black Widow. Eternals probaly gotta do 700m atleast. I'm assume it has a 200m budget I dont know though. I think Black Widow will do fine while Eternals is in GOTG territory imo. Could be huge or could tank. Depends on the hypem Guardians had an ok opening but great word of mouth turned it into a huge hit instead of just a modest one. But let's be honest Ripped Kumail Nanjiani isnt as big a selling point as Rocket and Groot. Maybe having Hayek and Jolie star together will make 90s kids turn out droves to see they're childhood crushes together lol.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-30-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't panic about those two. Breaking even is probably expected. Even if they are the lowest grossing for Marvel-they will be happy.

Regarding Richard Jewell, I suspect that's going to be one of those films that stinks up the box office, but earns Oscar noms out the wazoo, perhaps even wins one or more.
    That movie will probably making a killing in a release after the Oscars or on home box office market. If it wasn't R rated-I could see it being used in schools for history classes.

BANNED

Maybe James Bond will bomb.

It's the first Bond film in a while that they've released in Spring/Summer. Brosnan and the other Craigs were all fall/winter releases since License to Kill (All 80s Bonds unless you count Never Say Never Again were released in Summer; before that they kind of bounced around Summer/Fall/Winter). Licence to Kill was released in one very competitive Summer with Batman, Abyss and a whole bunch of other highly awaited sequels.

No Time to Die comes around the same time as New Mutants and Peter Rabbit 2 but I don't think they'll really cause any problems for it. Black Widow on the other hand...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Craig Bond has been VERY choppy so no clue

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    You think it will do worse than Incredible Hulk?