Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You think it will do worse than Incredible Hulk?
    Point taken. I think it will be the second lowest grossing film.

But hey at least I care about the Hulk as a character. I give give two craps about The Eternals.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post

But hey at least I care about the Hulk as a character. I give give two craps about The Eternals.
    Who gave a crap about Star Lord, Rocket Racoon or Groot before GOTG.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yea Eternals is gonna be a big spectacle. Good or bad it's going over 500m but in willing to bet 700m gonna be the bottom.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Bingo! And that's exactly what Marvel is banking (pardon the pun) on with Eternals.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I did, and i would assume others who read Annihilation Conquest and the subsequent GotG comic did, too. And yes that is a tiny number compared to the viewing audience of mcu. But my point is that there are least some good comics featuring these characters. I'm hard pressed to think of any good comics with the Eternals, i guess Gaiman's series is the closest thing but i didn't think much of it personally.

Also worth pointing out that GotG was marvel's version of a space opera, at at time when there was a relative dearth of them in theaters, since star wars hadn't returned to the big screen yet. plus James Gunn's contributions shouldn't be underestimated.. nothing against Chloe Zhao but i think Gunn was known for his relatively unique sensibility (especially humor) prior to directing GotG, whereas Zhao is more unknown altho she has definitely achieved some critical acclaim.

Not saying Eternals won't be successful, it will be at least a modest success and could be a huge hit. I kind of wish they had set it in the past and made it marvel's version of a fantasy saga but it sounds like it is set in modern times...and it feels like they took whatever they originally had in mind for the Inhumans movie and adapted it to Eternals since the properties are somewhat similar, just with the Inhumans being more grotesque in appearance/powers. You can even see how the cast could easily be playing inhumans instead, with Jolie as Medusa, Kumail as Karnak or Maximus, Gemma Chan as Crystal, etc. I'm probably reading too much into that as i am still resentful that marvel screwed up the inhumans property so badly.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The only Marvel movie (that I know of) coming out in 2020 is Black Widow, but I doubt ScarJo as a headliner can command anywhere near those kind of numbers. Still, not many people thought Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man would be hits, so who knows what might end up happening.
    I think if we use Ant-man and GOTG as reference points, it makes sense, but message board people with agendas will probably try to use Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I did, and i would assume others who read Annihilation Conquest and the subsequent GotG comic did, too. And yes that is a tiny number compared to the viewing audience of mcu. But my point is that there are least some good comics featuring these characters. I'm hard pressed to think of any good comics with the Eternals, i guess Gaiman's series is the closest thing but i didn't think much of it personally.

Also worth pointing out that GotG was marvel's version of a space opera, at at time when there was a relative dearth of them in theaters, since star wars hadn't returned to the big screen yet. plus James Gunn's contributions shouldn't be underestimated.. nothing against Chloe Zhao but i think Gunn was known for his relatively unique sensibility (especially humor) prior to directing GotG, whereas Zhao is more unknown altho she has definitely achieved some critical acclaim.

Not saying Eternals won't be successful, it will be at least a modest success and could be a huge hit. I kind of wish they had set it in the past and made it marvel's version of a fantasy saga but it sounds like it is set in modern times...and it feels like they took whatever they originally had in mind for the Inhumans movie and adapted it to Eternals since the properties are somewhat similar, just with the Inhumans being more grotesque in appearance/powers. You can even see how the cast could easily be playing inhumans instead, with Jolie as Medusa, Kumail as Karnak or Maximus, Gemma Chan as Crystal, etc. I'm probably reading too much into that as i am still resentful that marvel screwed up the inhumans property so badly.
    Yea the Guardians movie does it's own thing with alot of the source material so having good comics from which it came doesnt matter because they are doing they're own thing anyway. Eternals suspodesly takes place across on a long period of time. Even seen people suggesting it jumps back and forth between the distant past and the present day.

The Inhuamns movie is supposedly back on. Anson Mount was asked if he was gonna reprise the role in the MCU ever and he said no and that he heard Marvel was currently looking to recast Black Bolt and then the Vin diesel rumors started all over again. Eternals is kinda way different anyway. They are kinda protectors of earth(Im sure the mvoie will explain where they were with all the Thanos related chaos) and the Inhumans are hiding themselves away and are more worried about their people. I really doubt they repurposed a Inhumans script for Eternals. Especialy if a big chunk of this movie takes place a long time ago. But who knows we probaly gonna have to wait till Black widow comes out for a Eternals trailer.

Now James Gunn is the Guardians films. Those are uniquely his voice. Its funny heard him tell a story about making the film. First the entire film was built around the idea of Rocket and his abuse. And then once he figured out how to write Rocket he knew he could do the movie and wrote the rest. Also apparently the cast didnt know what kinda movie they were in. The script has alot of Jokes and humor but is also serious and really dark at times. So they were confused by the tone during the first week of filming and Zoe and James Gunn clashed heads I guess. Then they cut together a snippet for comic con of that 12 days of filming. And when the cast saw that they finaly saw what James was going for and apparently have all had 100% faith in whatever his vision is since. Unrelated he also talked about a little head butting with Marvel in pre production over numerous things including them not wanting Dave Bautista. But once filming started they backed off and basicaly told him whatever and however much he needs for the sequel and he had 100% control. So kinda goes against the idea that none of the MCU director are given creative freedom when according to Gunn he was given cart blanch on the seuqel.

But yea i don't know much about Chloe Zhao. I'm interested to see how the movie turns out. But as far as potential Eternals has as much as GOTG. All depends on the quality of the film. GOTG mad as much as it did based on Word of mouth. So we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Maybe James Bond will bomb.
    I have a pretty good feeling about this James Bond movie. I've heard nothing but good things about the trailer, even my wife who hates James Bond says that she might want to go to this one. That on top of a not very busy spring, I think this one could do very well. Maybe not Skyfall numbers, but very well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I think if we use Ant-man and GOTG as reference points, it makes sense, but message board people with agendas will probably try to use Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.
    No way on Earth it would sniff that.

Both those films had free press thanks to agenda driven trolls and the fact a Marvel executive fought against both film being made.

Eternals sniffing Antman or GOTG numbers is a good starting point. If that movie even SNIFFS Black Panther, Cap Marvel or Endgame let alone equals or passes them.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY will be able to tell Disney anything. Nobody could tell Marvel anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post

I didn't think Marvel was fully in control for any of the Hulk films. Can we fully count those as Marvel films or are they closer to things like Fox and Sony films using Marvel characters?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I didn't think Marvel was fully in control for any of the Hulk films. Can we fully count those as Marvel films or are they closer to things like Fox and Sony films using Marvel characters?
    The Hulk rights are weird. I think Marvel has everything but distribution rights which is why they haven't done a Hulk movie in so long.

They're more like Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Craig Bond has been VERY choppy so no clue
    Has it? I thought the only Craig film that didn't do that well was Quantum of Solace. All of the others did very well.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I keep thinking the Eternals ARE the Inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Hulk rights are weird. I think Marvel has everything but distribution rights which is why they haven't done a Hulk movie in so long.

They're more like Spider-Man.
    Not quite. From what I understand, Marvel has the rights to use the Hulk as a character in a movie as long as it isn't a solo Hulk film. So they can use him in the Avengers and Thor as much as they want. But to do a solo Hulk film, it would have to be distributed by Universal. Which worked when Marvel was an independent studio that needed a larger studio to distribute the films, but not so much now that they are owned by Disney.

With Spider-Man, Sony straight up has the rights to the character and all of his supporting characters, and Sony and Marvel had to strike a separate deal to allow Spider-Man to appear in Marvel movies, and allow Marvel to have creative control over his story in the Sony movies. That's why everyone panicked when the deal was canceled late last year- it meant that Feige and the rest no longer had a say in the story, and a lot of people have no faith in what Sony would do with the property on their own.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 01-04-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Quantum also did fairly well money wise, although both it and Spectre received highly mixed reviews.

Part of the reason for the delay between it and Skyfall were some legal and studio problems which have also caused problems for Bond films in the past-there was even a 2010 Entertainment Weekly cover story during a period of uncertainty )https://ew.com/article/2010/08/05/th...mes-bond-dead/) . There was actually a third Dalton planned despite License to Kill not doing great but the legal issues caused the big delay which ultimately led to him leaving and the franchise going to Brosnan/Goldeneye. I think No Time To Die took so long because of the director problems (Danny Boyle exiting) and also uncertainty as to if Daniel Craig would return.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Grudge (2020) got "F" cinemascore. It has only a 10 million budget made and 5.4 million on its opening day but it is hard to imagine something with that low of audience score not dropping of cliff the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Grudge (2020) got "F" cinemascore. It has only a 10 million budget made and 5.4 million on its opening day but it is hard to imagine something with that low of audience score not dropping of cliff the next week.
    I hear there is some very disturbing things in that movie; that may also keep people away.