Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This week will see a bunch of new films added to busts. One just opened this week and landed with such a thud , its already expected to cost its studio $30-40 million.

Total Box Office : $2.8+ million

Toal Production Budget : $50 million

This film was supposed to open in November but was pushed back til January 2020. The Rhythm Section was a mystery thriller starring Blake Lively and debuted in...10th place. Its already estimated this film will cost the studio $30-40 million as a loss. A big question mark is why this film got a release.

Total Box Office : $126.6+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $175 million

Another film that arrived 3 weeks ago and opened internationally across the globe in most markets was Dolittle. A film starring Robert Downey and based off the book "The Voyage of Dr. Dolittle". The film arrived with such a thud after Universal pushed it back to 2020 its stunned people. There are reports issues hit behind the scenes and well the films huge budget was a mountain that Universal would never , ever get back.

Its really the 1st BIG blockbuster film bomb of 2020 to open and be a bust in 2020. There is only 5 markets left for Dolittle to open in and even though China and Japan are huge movie markets ; its doubtful to save this film. Also the film is slowly running down the top #10 at theaters and won't make much back. Its estimated this will cost Universal $75-100 million.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 02-03-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This week will see a bunch of new films added to busts. One just opened this week and landed with such a thud , its already expected to cost its studio $30-40 million.

This film was supposed to open in November but was pushed back til January 2020. The Rhythm Section was a mystery thriller starring Blake Lively and debuted in...10th place. Its already estimated this film will cost the studio $30-40 million as a loss. A big question mark is why this film got a release.
    Yeah, that sounded like the sort of film that should’ve gone straight to Netflix instead of the multiplex.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

For all the same reasons Doolittle busted, I think Call of the Wild will bust.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yeah I don't have any faith in that film even though I love a good dog story.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I saw zero promotion for The Rhythm Section. No tv adds. No print adds. Nothing online. It is no surprise this tanked as hard as it has.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Yeah I don't have any faith in that film even though I love a good dog story.
    I love Jack London and this story has always been one of my favorites. But the CGI dogs with human-like expressions are laughably terrible in the trailers. Every filmmaker should really take a cue from the recent Lion King movie on how to CGI real-life animals in film.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

Because of the situation in China, all the movie theatres there are closed and will be for some time. So movies that were going to open in February there, will be delayed if they open at all. DOOLITTLE was supposed to open there and it seems like some of the changes made in the movie were to appeal to international audiences like in China.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Jack London was one of my favorite authors when I was REALLY young, like 6 or 7 years old. I loved escaping into the wilderness with his books when I was feeling cooped up in school...I want the movies to do well just because of that although I'm not feeling hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It has 109 million dollar budget, Which makes no sense but what makes even less sense is that it was original slated for a Dec 25 release. It is probably going to bust

Hmm what is upcoming in Feb

Feb 7 Birds of Prey
    Feb 14 Sonic the hedgehog, Fantasy Island, The Photograph
    Feb 21 Emma, Call of the Wild
    Feb 28 The Invisible Man

Call of the Wild has decent release date and going into the next week the biggest movie is horror movie which is a completely different audience.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-05-2020 at 03:17 AM.

White Fang was better, I'm just saying.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Total Box Office : $126.6+ million (worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $175 million

Another film that arrived 3 weeks ago and opened internationally across the globe in most markets was Dolittle. A film starring Robert Downey and based off the book "The Voyage of Dr. Dolittle". The film arrived with such a thud after Universal pushed it back to 2020 its stunned people. There are reports issues hit behind the scenes and well the films huge budget was a mountain that Universal would never , ever get back.

Its really the 1st BIG blockbuster film bomb of 2020 to open and be a bust in 2020. There is only 5 markets left for Dolittle to open in and even though China and Japan are huge movie markets ; its doubtful to save this film. Also the film is slowly running down the top #10 at theaters and won't make much back. Its estimated this will cost Universal $75-100 million.
    I got no idea what they were thinking here. Some of the animal faces look nightmarish. This was a kid's movie? It would frighten them out of the theater!
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I saw zero promotion for The Rhythm Section. No tv adds. No print adds. Nothing online. It is no surprise this tanked as hard as it has.
    YouTube was the only site I know was running ads for it.

Astonishing Member

I have the bad feeling that Sonic will crash and burn...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope Sonic succeeds. It needs to send the message that listening to your core audience isn't a mistake.