Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Well, Sonic rocks the box office right now, so the chance of it losing money is slim. I am happy about it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm not surprised about Like A Boss. There seems to be a glut of movies aimed at women about them either being in high positions of generic buisnesses or involved in the fashion industry, after a while it seems samey and kinda offensive. Its also a comedy which makes it dicier.
    I feel bad for Rose Byrne because I think she is a very good and funny actress. Tiffany Haddish has already worn out her welcome and become stale though. She plays the same character in every movie. She is quickly becoming the black Rebel Wilson in that as soon as you see her in a movie you know what kind of character she is going to be playing

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its been about a month but well with one major film nearly out of the top 10 and its wide release internationally nearly done (only 2 markets left) , its a bust.

Total Box Office : $107.3+ million (Worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $135 million

Based on the classic novel ; this big screen film adaption was 20th Century Fox's last major films before the buyout by Disney. Starring a 80+ year old Harrison Ford in the title role the film was given a big February opening. Where it promptly debuted at #1. Its just the take was so low ($20-30 million) it did little to help the overall box office. The film quickly would go down the charts as it now rests at #8 and has only done $62+ million domestically. Its been a terrible 2 years for 20th Century Fox films as many have bombed at the box office.

With only 2 film markets left to open in (Hong Kong and Singapore) its doubtful this film does any better.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 03-15-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its been about a month but well with one major film nearly out of the top 10 and its wide release internationally nearly done (only 2 markets left) , its a bust.

Well, that dog is just beautiful. Guess I know where the CGI budget went.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Well, that dog is just beautiful. Guess I know where the CGI budget went.
    A better movie than it looked. Ultimately true to the book, even if updated for modern audiences.

I think this was one of those cases where marketing failed and beyond that its just not a story that resounds with people today.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

In hindsight, CALL OF THE WILD lucked out that it got a theatrical release and made some money at the box office; now it can be released digitally and seen in isolation at home. That's a better outcome than some unreleased movies are facing now.

Total Box Office : $107.3+ million (Worldwide)

Total Production Budget : $135 million

Based on the classic novel ; this big screen film adaption was 20th Century Fox's last major films before the buyout by Disney. Starring a 80+ year old Harrison Ford in the title role the film was given a big February opening. Where it promptly debuted at #1. Its just the take was so low ($20-30 million) it did little to help the overall box office. The film quickly would go down the charts as it now rests at #8 and has only done $62+ million domestically. Its been a terrible 2 years for 20th Century Fox films as many have bombed at the box office.

With only 2 film markets left to open in (Hong Kong and Singapore) its doubtful this film does any better.
    I would never have approved that budget for Call of the Wild. 20 million, 25 million, sure. 135 million, that is a big no.

I read the book when I was a child. I remember the book. It was all right, I'm not clamoring to see a big screen production of it. If 10 million of that budget was to get every child in America to read the book, that might have drummed up interest for the movie.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I agree whoever green lit a 135 million budget for Call of the Wild probably should be fired. At most and I mean at the highest it should have never gone above 45-50. When you do a movie like this at a budget like that your almost for sure going to have a loser on your hands. When your budget is that big your setting yourself up for failure. Just look at other movies that had huge budgets that ended up losing money like The Legend of Tarzan, The Lone Ranger, and Valerian.

The budget was all spent on CGI animals. They honestly looked really good. But yah, I don't really recommend the movie except to people who are big fans of the book and are able to accept some seriously PC changes that were made in the name of making it a family movie. I mean, I'm glad I saw it, but ...
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

I haven't watched either movie but from the reviews I've seen it seems like THE LION KING and CALL OF THE WILD should have switched their CGI teams. The criticism of TLK is that the animals are too realistic and not anthropomorphic enough, while COTW animals are not realistic and too anthropomorphic (at least the main dog, Buck). But then one of those movies made a billion, so what do I know. Maybe kids today want emotionally distant animals, because that's the kind of world we live in now.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I agree whoever green lit a 135 million budget for Call of the Wild probably should be fired. At most and I mean at the highest it should have never gone above 45-50. When you do a movie like this at a budget like that your almost for sure going to have a loser on your hands. When your budget is that big your setting yourself up for failure. Just look at other movies that had huge budgets that ended up losing money like The Legend of Tarzan, The Lone Ranger, and Valerian.
    What is funny is the original budget for The Lone Ranger from reports then was $250-275 million when Disney decided against the film originally. The producers and Depp came back with a lower budget of $215-225 and Disney accepted it. The whole idea was this film from the Pirates crew would become a new franchise series like the Pirate film series. But as we saw that didn't happen.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

What is funny is the original budget for The Lone Ranger from reports then was $250-275 million when Disney decided against the film originally. The producers and Depp came back with a lower budget of $215-225 and Disney accepted it. The whole idea was this film from the Pirates crew would become a new franchise series like the Pirate film series. But as we saw that didn't happen.
    Sweet baby Jesus! Why was the budget was originally THAT high? Hell, I don't think any of the Transformers movies was nearly as expensive. I never saw the TLR myself, one look at the trailer and Johhny Depp was enough for me give it a hard pass, what was the studio burning so much cash on?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

The funniest thing is, the original budget was 250-275 million, and The Producer came around and told them they can do it for a bargain of 215-225 million

A movie like that is supposed to cost under 100 million to make profit

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus! Why was the budget was originally THAT high? Hell, I don't think any of the Transformers movies was nearly as expensive. I never saw the TLR myself, one look at the trailer and Johhny Depp was enough for me give it a hard pass, what was the studio burning so much cash on?
    The movie culminated in a huge fight on a train that cost reportedly most of the budget to do.

The whole Lone Ranger fiasco was such a disaster. The character and franchise is so good, and it really could have been used to revitalize the Western movie genre, but they screwed the pooch so badly on it.

They really learned nothing from the mockery that was The Green Hornet two years earlier.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Yeah Lone Rangers cash I suspect was mostly based on "Horses and qualified riders arent cheap"