I have to say my favorite recent Superman stories have been Elseworlds, Mini-series, or 1 shots. Tom King has a great feel for the character. Up In The Sky is my favorite recent run. I also have to admit that Injustice Superman has won me over! I think writing any story is tough but the idea that Superman is aspirational isn't one of the characters problems. Every Superhero is aspirational. I like the idea that Superman is the "perfect" human. I think that creates unique challenges for the character that make him so distinct from anyone else. That doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes, he is surrounded by imperfect beings that he idolizes and loves, just like most of us actually. I like Superman stories to be big and cosmic. I think that still leaves room for stories about human connection. I just read the most recent Mike Allred run on the Silver Surfer and Silver Surfer Black by Danny Cates and Tradd Moore. (Jason Aaron's Superman run cobs quite a bit from All Star Superman too!) Both of those books remind me of weird late sixties Superman stories. I wish the current books were more weird and that's one reason I love Morrison, Millars, and Alan Moore's Superman. I know they wallow in 60's nostalgia but they push the sci-fi all the way and still land the human moments.