Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I want her to appear in the MCU so bad! Great way to work around his death.
    Also a good way to explain Slf absence in the last movie.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It's not gender-swapped Loki, is it? (He did that in the comics)
    I think there was someone they cast for the Loki series who was rumored to be the female Loki body.

given that there's not a great, deep history of certain types of representation (specifically sexuality-based) then whoever eventually shows up its going to possibly be a retcon reveal (like Iceman in the comics) which is going to inflame certain folks. But we'll see.

I just hope that fan culture doesn't get so rigid as to demand boycotts for there (seemingly) not being any asexual characters out there.

Well in a now deleted interview an actor on Eternals said he plays Phatsos husband. They are married have kids and filmed a kiss scene. If this is true I'm sure it will be contained and Phastos personal life wont bleed out into the main story. That way they can easily cut it out for China. Question is Bryan Tyree Henry gay in real life? Seen some interviews hes done that made me wonder.

China is not a fan of LGBTQ+. Which sadly means that Disney very unlikely to openly put such characters in their works. They don't want to lose their cash cow after all. And they already had poor Winnie the Pooh assassinated.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is will Marvel and/or Disney ever have the guts to put a Gay/Trans character front and center in a major motion picture? And I'm not counting Captain Marvel- it's implied, but not stated.
    Simple answer: No. Disney (and therefore Marvel) has no interest in supporting LGBT+ characters or actors... because it won't play well in homophobic countries like Russia and China (and those are huge money markets -- I assume it doesn't play well in a lot of Africa and the Middle East, but those aren't the big money markets Disney would care about). The option is simple: principles or money. Disney chooses money. They are no friend to LGBT+ people.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Disney just announced one of the Eternal's leads has being gay and married to his husband.

Bi-racial, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Disney just announced one of the Eternal's leads has being gay and married to his husband.
    The film's not out yet, lets see how the "announcement" plays out come the crunch... Valkyrie was "announced" and we all know how they went. Cut, cut, edit, cut.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Uh, Nico and Karolina were made a couple in the Rainbow Rowell revival of the series in 2017, the same year the TV show launched. Don't know where the idea came from but it wasn't from the original runs (I know, I've got the books).
    ??? The Nico/Karolina thing was in the original comic series. Karolina kissed Nico on the rooftops in the snow (I don't know which issue). They didn't become a couple, but the complexity of their feelings and the idea of a romance didn't come from the show, it was in the comics long, long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Disney will release one or two minor films/shows with gay characters to placate the identity politics crowd but will otherwise not give a damn.
    Well... I like to think that people unhappy at Disney ignoring the existence of gay characters in their film series spreads wider than "identity politics". Anyone with a decent conscience should care that gay people are not welcome in major Disney films.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-14-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The answer is that the big wide releases will at best have it limited to small mentions and tiny cameos that can easily be edited out for certain countries. The Western World has become more tolerant over the last few decades but there are still places where it's not accepted whatsoever or outright illegal and unfornuately for a capitalist based society, Disney isn't giving up money as the global audience becomes more important.
    71 countries. 71 countries in the world it is illegal to be gay. There are 195 countries in the world. Over a 3rd of the world it is ILLEGAL to be gay. And that's just illegal. Let's not forget that places like China and Russia aren't in the illegal list.

We are gonna get a openly Gay character but anything to with Phastos sexuality and Family will be contained to a easy to cut part of that movie. So they can show the film in China and Russian etc.... I'm not gay so it's not my place to say what adequate. But given they need to make money I think doing something like this is a step in the right direction. The western countries will get a Hero who's in a gay Biracial relationship. According to the actor they filmed a Kiss scene. I'm sure plenty of people will be upset that this stuff will be done in a way that it can be cut out for Less liberal countries. But this is a 200m budget film. They cant pass on any big markets. If this was a 25-75m film I'd say screw those countries. That just wont work for this movie. So even if Phastos personal stuff is amazing, it's not gonna have a huge impact on the story. So people should temper their exectstions

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

With more than half the theatres closed to coronavirus scares, China is not a good place for studios to look for money.

Make that virtually all of them. 70,000 screens gone.
    Last edited by GozertheGozarian; 02-14-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    ??? The Nico/Karolina thing was in the original comic series. Karolina kissed Nico on the rooftops in the snow (I don't know which issue). They didn't become a couple, but the complexity of their feelings and the idea of a romance didn't come from the show, it was in the comics long, long ago.
    Did not happen in the original run; I should know. I will concede that some people may have "read between the lines" or something (goodness knows I was aware of the fan theory before Rainbow Rowell decided to run with it), but there was never anything explicit to suggest that Nico saw Karolina as anything other then a close friend. I could be wrong, but everything I've seen indicates it was just a fan theory that got canonized, not something in the original source material that was expanded on.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    With more than half the theatres closed to coronavirus scares, China is not a good place for studios to look for money.
    How long you expect that to last? Once it's manageable those theatres will reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Nope, don't see that happening, not when The Mouse wants their films to play abroad, including countries (China, Russia for starters) where homophobia is very much in force.
    Yeah, cause homophobia isn't a thing at all in the US, in Europe, in India and, well, everywhere else in the world.

But sure, let's blame them Russian and Chinese for that why not lol?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Did not happen in the original run; I should know. I will concede that some people may have "read between the lines" or something (goodness knows I was aware of the fan theory before Rainbow Rowell decided to run with it), but there was never anything explicit to suggest that Nico saw Karolina as anything other then a close friend. I could be wrong, but everything I've seen indicates it was just a fan theory that got canonized, not something in the original source material that was expanded on.
    We'll just agree to disagree. If you think the TV series came up with pairing Karolina and Nico based on zero influence from the comic's own cannon of emotional beats and moments... then power to you. (in the nicest possible way) I think it's a little naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yeah, cause homophobia isn't a thing at all in the US, in Europe, in India and, well, everywhere else in the world.

But sure, let's blame them Russian and Chinese for that why not lol?
    I think you're missing the point. The difference is THE GOVERNMENTS of the US and most of Europe don't censor LGBT+ content in films (or pull a film if it has too much content). It's not about the specific homophobia of the country's citizens. It's about the ability to shown the film (which is a decision not controlled by the people, but the government). And the reason China and Russia are targeted is because they are the biggest individual markets that do that. Syria has a population of 18 million; they might censor LGBT+ films too (I don't know), but regardless that number isn't a concern to Disney when compared to Russia's 180 million and China's 1 billion.