Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Will Disney ever have true LGBTQ representation in their movies?

I should preface this by saying I'm a straight white male. But while this topic isn't personal for me, it is starting to anger me.

Kevin Feige just announced that there will be a Trans character in an upcoming Marvel movie, which should be a big deal. But then I got to thinking- every single time they announce something like this, it always ends up being, well, nothing.

They announced a gay character in Endgame, and it ended up being one of the Russo's having a 30 second cameo talking about a date he had at the very beginning of the movie.

They announced a gay character in Star Wars, and it's a blink-and-you-miss-it kiss in the ending montage.

They've announced a gay character who is married with a family in the Eternals, but five will get you ten it will probably be something minor that they can cut out for China.

Looking at the comments on Twitter, it looks like everybody is expecting the same thing here. I feel that it's getting to the point where it will start causing serious backlash against Disney and Marvel if they keep pulling stunts like this. And Gay and Trans superheroes can work, all you have to do is look at the CW. Sara Lance (Bi), Dreamer (Trans), Batwoman (Lesbian), Alex Danvers (Lesbian), Curtis Holt (Gay).. the list goes on.

I guess what I'm asking is will Marvel and/or Disney ever have the guts to put a Gay/Trans character front and center in a major motion picture? And I'm not counting Captain Marvel- it's implied, but not stated.

BANNED

When it becomes so natural and common that everybody else does it, then they will.

Disney will not be the first to blaze the trail. That's for sure.

Mighty Member

There are nations where LGBT+ representation on screen is illegal. At best, it will be censored. At worst, the movie will be banned from that nation. Unless Disney, a company, wants to risk not making money off a country's audience, I don't think representation is going to be a starring role unless severely downplayed.

Take Russia for example. They tried to make Ruby in Steven Universe sound more ambiguous and male, even using male pronouns at one point. When they had an episode with a lesbian kiss and wedding, they outright pulled the damn episode.

Astonishing Member

Don't depend on megacorps for social progress.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Don't depend on megacorps for social progress.
    True enough. But then again, DC doesn't seem to have a problem doing it. But I suppose it's less risky to do it on a TV show than in a movie.

Disney-owned companies have produced media with LGBTQ characters in notable roles. The Marvel's Star Wars comics have made extensive use of their original character Doctor Aphra, who's very clearly depicted as being lesbian*, from us meeting an ex-girlfriend to her being shown having slept with another woman (we just see the morning after). Not sure how that relates or doesn't relate to the mainstream Disney movies. Allegedly, the upcoming Jungle Cruise movie has a gay character, so we'll see how that turns out.

*Aphra's never specifically identified her orientation in-universe, although her creator, Kieron Gillen, has noted in an interview that he thought of her as being lesbian and wrote all his stories with that mindset. (Some fans have thought that she was flirting with Vader in the original Darth Vader comics, but Gillen has noted that that was not his intent. I know myself and some other people wondered if she might've had a spark with Luke Skywalker in the Screaming Citadel miniseries, but that's based on some pretty inconclusive story beats -- Aphra cleans up nicely for a formal event which kinda flusters Luke a bit and she seems unusually upset after Luke severs ties with her at the end -- and Gillen did write this story, too).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    True enough. But then again, DC doesn't seem to have a problem doing it. But I suppose it's less risky to do it on a TV show than in a movie.
    Well if its TV shows they have Gay characters in The Runaways.

I thought Valkryie was that gay character they talked about before Endgame. She didnt do anything sexual but I coulda swore they confirmed she is gay. And Love and Thundrr was gonna be about her finding a queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well if its TV shows they have Gay characters in The Runaways.
    And the comics followed suite on that.

I thought Valkryie was that gay character they talked about before Endgame. She didnt do anything sexual but I coulda swore they confirmed she is gay.
    There was a brief snippet when Loki uses the mind trick on her to make her relive her past that would've showed her walking out of another woman's room, pretty obviously after having slept together. That got cut from the movie. Tessa Thompson also went on record that she thought that the blond Valkyrie we specifically see getting killed by Hela in that flashback was her character's lover and acted the scene as such -- although that idea was never adopted by the Powers That Be. So, technically, Valkyrie's orientation is undetermined, but there's nothing to disprove it either.

And Love and Thundrr was gonna be about her finding a queen.
    So Thompson has said, but it remains to be seen if that is on the drawing board or just her expressing her hopes, much less if it makes it into the final draft/cut of the movie. Personally, I'd like to see her and a powered-up Jane get together in the movie. Probably won't happen (seems unlikely that they would bring Jane back and not having her go back to Thor, despite how flaccid the relationship actually was), but I think you could get some story mileage out of it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The Star Wars books and comics have also introduced several other LGBT characters apart from Aphra and Tolvan.

Amanda Lawrence who played D'arcy in the Star Wars sequels, although presumably not gay herself as she has a male partner, has also appeared in several LGBT themed plays in America and Britain. Not sure about Vinette Robinson who plays her wife.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotth...85714721679688

Apparently, Captain Marvel is being eyed to be their first major representative. Call me crazy but imo introducing the general audience to LGBTQ characters that are not already engrained in popularity is a big mistake. Captain Marvel is a character I wouldn't do it with as the character and actor are kind of teetering on the unlikable side for many people. Making the character a lesbian could very well plummet the character's remaining popularity.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Looking at the comments on Twitter, it looks like everybody is expecting the same thing here. I feel that it's getting to the point where it will start causing serious backlash against Disney and Marvel if they keep pulling stunts like this. And Gay and Trans superheroes can work, all you have to do is look at the CW. Sara Lance (Bi), Dreamer (Trans), Batwoman (Lesbian), Alex Danvers (Lesbian), Curtis Holt (Gay).. the list goes on.

I guess what I'm asking is will Marvel and/or Disney ever have the guts to put a Gay/Trans character front and center in a major motion picture? And I'm not counting Captain Marvel- it's implied, but not stated.
    Have you seen the ratings for those CW shows. They are watched by 2 to 3 million people at most. If you are spending $150 to $200 million on a movie before even advertising expenses you will need a lot more people to see your movies than that to make money. So it will be a stupid risk to do so unless someone else wants to go first to show that it will work in movies. Having said that they should cease making a big deal out of all this or just avoid it completely if all they are doing is putting in these throw away scenes.

BANNED

Don't they get in trouble with groups like one million moms for "promoting the gay lifestyle" and "corrupting the children"? I see articles regulary about stuff like that. Last example was for Toy Story 4 I think.

If the Aphra series gets a go, that will get Disney on the way the comics are already taking.
    Regarding DC, they have the CW yes but the question was "will Marvel and/or Disney ever have the guts to put a Gay/Trans character front and center in a major motion picture?"
    And DC is not really any better there. Wonder Woman can be assumed to be bi, but they do not really go all the way. Comics are more brave in that regard and even them get flak for it.

Regarding Captain Marvel, they have not really shown one way or another. And remembering the stupid stuff written and videos made about the movie it would have made that even worse.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 12-31-2019 at 07:05 AM.

I haven't seen the live-action Beauty and the Beast but didn't they try this with Lefou? Although he's kind of one of the bad guys....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

As long as their movies are made to appeal to a global market, no.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Nope, don't see that happening, not when The Mouse wants their films to play abroad, including countries (China, Russia for starters) where homophobia is very much in force.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!