Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    a) doesn't need to be plot relevant, no such standard exists for str8 characters
    Sorry, thought you were saying it was.

b) it makes WAYYYYYYY more sense why she goes into an alcoholic spiral of depression for centuries losing a lover, than comrades. Way more sense.
    No, don't think so. Would it add to the tragedy? Yes, of course. However, PTSD, losing friends, feeling like you sacrificed everything for a king who didn't deserve it, yeah, that could lead anyone into a life of depression and just living for the next drink.

I'm not saying I didn't like it, I did, but it was entirely irrelevant to the plot. And a perfect example of a side-segment that "isn't needed" but is still added. THAT SAID... it was the perfect chance to have an LGBT+ character, and they missed it. Have Hawkeye take them to his house, where his husband is looking after the kids. And it adds a nice subversive layer of 'why didn't you ever tell us'... there's a good reason why.
    It's character work, fine enough. As far as why Hawkeye has a nuclear family, that is how it is in the source material, just like it is for Valkyrie being LGBT.

Three times within the first meeting of him running around that big water pond/thing in Washington; he kept on talking about the ladies, about Cap setting him up with Black Widow (I think?).
    Don't remember the Black Widow bit (although she did flirt a lot with Cap, even if it wasn't serious on her end). Now that you mention it, I do recall Falcon wondering if Cap would visit him at his job, since it would impress the women there. Thought it was simple way to set up Cap visiting him later in the movie and injected a little humor. Wouldn't've changed any had it been a gay character in the scenario, IMHO.

It's so 'normalised' to have heterosexuality 'ping' in a film, so many don't even notice it, yet that same privilege is not extended to LGBT+ people without having to hear "but is it plot relevant?/it should only happen if organic/often it seems distracting, like they just shoved it in when we didn't need it".
    Don't see the difference between the two in regards to character world, "relevance," etc., and I'd always argue that "organic" writing serves anything better then not (e.g. pick one and write it well, not "using the claim of "bad writing" to argue against something you didn't want). Heck, did Life is Strange need a possible boyfriend character when all the narrative drive was in the relationship between the female lead and her female best friend/love interest (depending on the player's choices)?

It's like that age old joke of Star Wars; a franchise that is more comfortable showing incest than homosexuality
    Uh, the franchise has done that quite a bit across the board?
    Last edited by WebLurker; 02-15-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)