Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The answer is that the big wide releases will at best have it limited to small mentions and tiny cameos that can easily be edited out for certain countries. The Western World has become more tolerant over the last few decades but there are still places where it's not accepted whatsoever or outright illegal and unfornuately for a capitalist based society, Disney isn't giving up money as the global audience becomes more important.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The answer is that the big wide releases will at best have it limited to small mentions and tiny cameos that can easily be edited out for certain countries. The Western World has become more tolerant over the last few decades but there are still places where it's not accepted whatsoever or outright illegal and unfornuately for a capitalist based society, Disney isn't giving up money as the global audience becomes more important.
    Plus, Pooh, I mean, Xi Xinping doesn't like that.

I doubt they'll ever improve even though I wish they would. I certainly hope they're (much) better about it by the time they finally do the X-Men. Don't want to see Bobby back in the closet after the comics finally let him come out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm really wondering how they're going to handle Renee Montoya in BoP, and how prominent her sexuality is going to be.
    That's an R-Rated Movie with a far smaller budged, that would proably anyway not get released in China.

When it comes to the bigger movies I doubt that we will see that anytime soon, those movies need the largest possible audience to turn in a profit.

The CW-shows are a different thing, CW has had LGBTQ representation in other shows before I think, so it is not really a problem with their core audience, and honestly I think that their current direction with Arrowverse is turning viewers away, but not because of LGBTQ representation and more because the Arrowverse has become very female centric in the last years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    That's an R-Rated Movie with a far smaller budged, that would proably anyway not get released in China.

When it comes to the bigger movies I doubt that we will see that anytime soon, those movies need the largest possible audience to turn in a profit.

The CW-shows are a different thing, CW has had LGBTQ representation in other shows before I think, so it is not really a problem with their core audience, and honestly I think that their current direction with Arrowverse is turning viewers away, but not because of LGBTQ representation and more because the Arrowverse has become very female centric in the last years.

I'd have to disagree that the focus on female centric characters is the reason for the CW decline. I see the shows quality degradation due to the CW trying to have all their shows cater to the teen crowd which is isolating the other demographics that liked the shows from the beginning. There are way too much high school drama like scenarios each season that's gotten very annoying. That's why I was kind of bummed when Stargirl was announced to play on the CW instead of just DC universe.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I'd have to disagree that the focus on female centric characters is the reason for the CW decline. I see the shows quality degradation due to the CW trying to have all their shows cater to the teen crowd which is isolating the other demographics that liked the shows from the beginning. There are way too much high school drama like scenarios each season that's gotten very annoying. That's why I was kind of bummed when Stargirl was announced to play on the CW instead of just DC universe.
    The Quality is of course also a problem and maybe the bigger one.

But the thing is also that when the Arrowverse was launched the target audience were imo young man, and that has shifted. With most of the current shows I don't really have the feeling that I'm part of the target audience.

And the high school drama stuff is something I would to some degree claim as a symptom of them shifting to shifting towards a more female target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The Quality is of course also a problem and maybe the bigger one.

But the thing is also that when the Arrowverse was launched the target audience were imo young man, and that has shifted. With most of the current shows I don't really have the feeling that I'm part of the target audience.

And the high school drama stuff is something I would to some degree claim as a symptom of them shifting to shifting towards a more female target audience.
    Um, the CW has ALWAYS targeted the teenage girl demographic (ever since they were the WB, in fact.) Why do you think the salmon ladder was used in Arrow to begin with? Melodrama has also always been there.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

https://twitter.com/DaveVescio/statu...79749937823744

According to this Thor love and thunder will have a trans character. How many seconds of screen time will this character get?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The TV shows are far more likely to have LGBTQ characters in them, but even that is fraught with shows like Agents of SHIELD which are heavily watched overseas. Last season they did have a gay character (Dr. Benson) whose sexuality was actually shown and not just mentioned. The only other one I can think of was Joey Gutierrez, who disappeared without a trace after a handful of episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

According to this Thor love and thunder will have a trans character. How many seconds of screen time will this character get?
    I wonder if it'll end up being Sera (Angela's lover in the comics).

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if it'll end up being Sera (Angela's lover in the comics).
    I thought this misunderstanding was already corrected? Feige was asked about LGBTQ characters and specifically transgender character but he mostly gave an answer for the LGBTQ character that is shooting in a movie now (which can only be Eternals.)

EDIT: Now i'm confused lol! these news has caught fire.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-02-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    [/B]

The CW has ALWAYS gone after women even at the expense of others. Remember they went out of their way to NOT promote Veronica Mars, The Game, All of Us, Girlfriends, Everybody Hate Chris & WWE Smackdown in order to get rid of them. They only wanted young women viewers.

While it worked for some shows, it failed with others. They had a TON of crow to eat when The Game went to BET and killed in the cable ratings. Then came the DC shows. While that has helped, it still has not stopped them from going after young women viewers.

Quality has been an issue because there are some thing they don't want to.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    China and Russia need to make their own damn movies and stop ruining ours.
    They are making their own stuff.

What you are seeing is the US film makers using them as a scapegoat into NOT making certain films or hiring certain folks.
    Take Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler & Kevin Hart. Ben & Adam NEED the oversea market to have a movie break even. Kevin Hart doesn't.

Love Simon was a hit without the oversea market. Interesting enough it did NOT show in China or Russia. Yet made more than a million in Brazil, Germany, UK & Bolivia.

Now there are exceptions-see Alex Cross. Guess where it made more than a million overseas at? RUSSIA.
    Russia where The Lion King was the highest grossing American film.

I guess what I'm asking is will Marvel and/or Disney ever have the guts to put a Gay/Trans character front and center in a major motion picture? And I'm not counting Captain Marvel- it's implied, but not stated.
    If it can be dubbed or edited-you will see it.

Remember Sailor Moon was HEAVILY edited when it came to the USA in 1995. There is a reason the final season was NOT included in that run.
    Sailor Neptune & Jupiter were NOT cousins. Rey's Grandpa was a dirty old man. Lets not forget Zoisite. Who was a male in Japan but female in the USA and was even referred to as Nongender once.

Robotech-Southern Cross HID the fact Bowie & General Emerson were father and son.
    Gatchman-anyone???? What was Zoltar?
    Lets not forget Power Rangers. Those Yellow Rangers sure were flat chested & thin in the USA despite Karen Ashley's body build. Interesting enough the series that gave us Super Mega Force at times had the Yellow Ranger with a shirt like Pink (not sure if that footage made it here but I have seen it).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

It's not gender-swapped Loki, is it? (He did that in the comics)

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It's not gender-swapped Loki, is it? (He did that in the comics)
    I want her to appear in the MCU so bad! Great way to work around his death.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium