Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I don't see Mulan doing good as I think people are getting tired of the live action remakes. I have met very few people who have legitimately liked most of the remakes as much as they were hyped up to be. The only remake I actually liked was the Jungle Book, the rest have been sub par at best imo.
    The Box office of over a billion for Lion King and Aladin says people are not tired of these. I saw the Mulan preview, I think it could make 1/4 billion in China alone. It should be another big hit for Disney.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think Etenrals beats Black Widow for sure. WW i cant say, if it builds on top of the sucess of the first I can see it being the top film. Either way I'm betting it's one if the top films of the year at the Box office no matter what.
    I just don't see WW84 bringing anything revolutionary to the table enough for it to even match, let alone exceed, the previous one.

Black Widow will print money. Coming off of Endgame, the audience will cherish more more ride with Nat, especially since the film may have that Winter Soldier vibe to give it some street cred(and Stranger Things dude in tow).

The Eternals is a bit of an outlier, but the MCU has so much goodwill at this point, the whole Celestials mythology and star studded cast will generate word of mouth interest. So long as it's reasonably good, it will make over a billion.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

If the visuals can match what Kirby did, Eternals should look great.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Box office of over a billion for Lion King and Aladin says people are not tired of these. I saw the Mulan preview, I think it could make 1/4 billion in China alone. It should be another big hit for Disney.
    The Asian market for Asian centered films is very unpredictable. If they feel like Mulan truly represents their culture then it may do well but if not it will flop hard.

Asian individuals will support internationally made films that represent them but only if they are great. They seem to be a lot more critical of how they are represented more than any other major group imo. Crazy Rich Asians comes to mind. A movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and was a huge success in most areas but it FLOPPED hard in China. With the response being it didn't properly represent Asian culture. I think the Asian animated film Abominable also struggled and its likely to win quite a few awards for best animated feature during award season.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-12-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Good info junkie.

The Asian market for Asian centered films is very unpredictable. If they feel like Mulan truly represents their culture then it may do well but if not it will flop hard.

Asian individuals will support internationally made films that represent them but only if they are great. They seem to be a lot more critical of how they are represented more than any other major group imo. Crazy Rich Asians comes to mind. A movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and was a huge success in most areas but it FLOPPED hard in China. With the response being it didn't properly represent Asian culture. I think the Asian animated film Abominable also struggled and its likely to win quite a few awards for best animated feature during award season.
    Crazy rich asians was about a Chinese American and a Singapore family though, the sequels the one that heavily invests in China

Incredible Member

I think Etenrals beats Black Widow for sure. WW i cant say, if it builds on top of the sucess of the first I can see it being the top film. Either way I'm betting it's one if the top films of the year at the Box office no matter what.
    Have to agree with Eternals beating Black Widow. I think Black Widow got screwed over by not being given a solo film earlier. I still don't think Eternals will do all that great but it may be the best performing MCU film this year.

Have to agree with Eternals beating Black Widow. I think Black Widow got screwed over by not being given a solo film earlier. I still don't think Eternals will do all that great but it may be the best performing MCU film this year.
    BW is doing 500-600 Mill if it does baldy imo and could do up to 800m but I personally never cared for MCU black widow enough for a solo film so I'm biased. Hard to say.
    Eternals if it delivers a crazy new experience I can see it taking the box office by storm. I dont think BW has 1bil potential I think if everything goes right Eternals does. Or if it doesnt hit a nerve like GOTG I'm betting 600-700mil is low end for the movie. Or who knows maybe The MCU will keep the 1bil streak going and both the movies will be huge. It's so hard to say with those movies.

Wonder Woman was very popular with women. Big groups of women went mutiple times to see that movie. Now that we will have had mutiple female lead superhero films since then it all depends if it gets that crazy support from women again. If it does I can see it hitting 1bil but even if it doesnt I'm betting 700m is lowest it goes.

I'm probaly way off anyway. But if I had to bet money on the biggest movie of the year it would be either Eternals, WW84, or Mulan. Again my lack of Hype for Black Widow prior to seeing the trailer biased my opinion. So it's hard to gauge. But I'm excited for it now though, loved the trailer.

Astonishing Member

I think BW is going to beat Eternals. Hard for me to see people get excited about Eternals but MCU has hit homeruns out of nowhere but this time I think it fails or disappoints.

Mulan might do well but fail to be as successful as the other Disney live remakes. Worldwide does not really take well to a full Asian cast. I know Crazy Rich Asians did great here but it remains to see if the other parts of the world will embrace Mulan. If China doesn't embrace the movie it could disappoint big time.

This year just looks horrible for big runaway hits IMO. Box office should be way below previous years. I just don't see a 400M domestic hit in that list. Even topping 300M domestic looks hard for a lot of movies here.

Incredible Member

BW is doing 500-600 Mill if it does baldy imo and could do up to 800m but I personally never cared for MCU black widow enough for a solo film so I'm biased. Hard to say.
    Eternals if it delivers a crazy new experience I can see it taking the box office by storm. I dont think BW has 1bil potential I think if everything goes right Eternals does. Or if it doesnt hit a nerve like GOTG I'm betting 600-700mil is low end for the movie. Or who knows maybe The MCU will keep the 1bil streak going and both the movies will be huge. It's so hard to say with those movies.

Wonder Woman was very popular with women. Big groups of women went mutiple times to see that movie. Now that we will have had mutiple female lead superhero films since then it all depends if it gets that crazy support from women again. If it does I can see it hitting 1bil but even if it doesnt I'm betting 700m is lowest it goes.

I'm probaly way off anyway. But if I had to bet money on the biggest movie of the year it would be either Eternals, WW84, or Mulan. Again my lack of Hype for Black Widow prior to seeing the trailer biased my opinion. So it's hard to gauge. But I'm excited for it now though, loved the trailer.
    BW may have a hard time because of its release window too. Legally Blonde 3 comes out the week after and may take quite a bit of the female crowd away off of nostalgia alone. Then 2 weeks later Fast and Furious 9 drops along with the second Spongebob movie and then June is pretty much all to WW84. With that being said I think 600 million would be the best it could hope for at this point. Definitely see people watching this more once it hits Disney+

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think BW is going to beat Eternals. Hard for me to see people get excited about Eternals but MCU has hit homeruns out of nowhere but this time I think it fails or disappoints.
    Hard to guess how the Eternals is going to be approached, even. You can't do it as a comedy, ala GotG, while staying true to the characters. If its a cosmic-based drama, it feels "been there, done that" to Infinity War. I don't know, this kind of seems doomed to me as well. Inhumans two.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hard to guess how the Eternals is going to be approached, even. You can't do it as a comedy, ala GotG, while staying true to the characters. If its a cosmic-based drama, it feels "been there, done that" to Infinity War. I don't know, this kind of seems doomed to me as well. Inhumans two.
    I guess we have to trust Marvel with that. I am on your side with this one, but I hope we will get a good surprise.

According to my non comic fan but superhero movie fan friends, Eternals doesn't move them by name. Maybe later when the trailer arrives? Black Widow is not generating any buzz with them, because its a story set in the past, and they will wait for it to hit streaming.

I will watch both in the cinema, and I will take at least one guy or girl with me who is not interested to see it

BW may have a hard time because of its release window too. Legally Blonde 3 comes out the week after and may take quite a bit of the female crowd away off of nostalgia alone. Then 2 weeks later Fast and Furious 9 drops along with the second Spongebob movie and then June is pretty much all to WW84. With that being said I think 600 million would be the best it could hope for at this point. Definitely see people watching this more once it hits Disney+
    600 mill would still be a hit Antman has a higher budget then Blck widow and made less then 600 in his first film and just over in his 2nd. 500m imo is the bottom number if everything goes badly for Black Widow. But yea Fast and Furious is what's gonna hurt it. So really depends on the demand and how big it opens.

Incredible Member

600 mill would still be a hit Antman has a higher budget then Blck widow and made less then 600 in his first film and just over in his 2nd. 500m imo is the bottom number if everything goes badly for Black Widow. But yea Fast and Furious is what's gonna hurt it. So really depends on the demand and how big it opens.
    I think BW bottom number will depend a lot on China. Roughly the last 2 phases of MCU films have gotten anywhere from 30-50 percent of their gross from them. I think BW doing around 180 million domestic is reasonable but it will be interesting what China does for it but apparently there is currently not a china release date for the film.

Here's a good link that shows the list of mcu films along with their budgets, domestic, and worldwide grosses:

https://m.the-numbers.com/movies/fra...matic-Universe
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-14-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Sonic the Hedgehog, obviously.

Eternals is the more likely answer, or whatever liveaction remake Disney prepared
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage