Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    625

    Default Earth-Zed: What do you want to see?

    "Earth-Zed" is essentially an Earth that takes place between 1994 (the year of "Zero-Hour") to 2005 (the start of "Infinite Crisis"). There was some disagreement as to whether or not Zero-Hour should factor into anything, based upon the Metaverse Method. However, I contend that Earth-Zed (or "Z", for Zero) changed things in the DCU in a fundamental way:

    1) introduced the "ten-year" time frame for an active Superman, and thus affecting everything else.
    2) introduced the concept of "Hypertime" to the DCU
    3) changed origins for some characters (such as changing "SHAZAM!: A New Beginning" into "Power of SHAZAM!").
    4) introduced a revised timeline for the DCU.

    Of course, whether or not having an "Earth-Zed" is up to debate. But, I wanted to put it out there for discussion.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    In all of these threads, I think it's best to be clear where the cut-off point for the old stuff and starting point for the new stuff is.

    I'm not sure there would be a whole lot of potential for a continuation of the pre-Infinite Crisis continuity, since Infinite Crisis' continuity rewrites didn't affect the present day status quo and story trajectory too much. Instead it rearranged Wonder Woman's continuity to make her a founding JLA member and gave Superman a revised origin.

    The Legion of Super-Heroes of this era had a distinct continuity that could be continued, but that might be a bit too niche.

  3. #3
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    4,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In all of these threads, I think it's best to be clear where the cut-off point for the old stuff and starting point for the new stuff is.

    I'm not sure there would be a whole lot of potential for a continuation of the pre-Infinite Crisis continuity, since Infinite Crisis' continuity rewrites didn't affect the present day status quo and story trajectory too much. Instead it rearranged Wonder Woman's continuity to make her a founding JLA member and gave Superman a revised origin.

    The Legion of Super-Heroes of this era had a distinct continuity that could be continued, but that might be a bit too niche.
    Well, if we're going by DClock mechanics, the bolded part should be enough for a cutoff point.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    5,631

    Default

    Okay this is getting a wee bit out of hand here.
    Greenlight the Smallville animated series, WB!

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Okay this is getting a wee bit out of hand here.
    I would say that this is pretty much the limit to these things.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    872

    Default

    There's only few primary Earths, Earth 2, 1985, 52, 0, Watchmen, Earth prime 33.

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I would say that this is pretty much the limit to these things.
    Indeed. And there's no shame in you doing your own thing, dswynne (if you're feeling down on what superduper said). Keep doing you.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Uuhhh I guess what I already said in the other Earth, that when the Crisis is over, Dick and Babs actually get married

  9. #9
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    This already hurts my head.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I would say that this is pretty much the limit to these things.
    Indeed. And there's no shame in you doing your own thing, dswynne (if you're feeling down on what superduper said). Keep doing you.
    dswynne, I like your idea.

    If it's a new era for Superman, then the previous era is archived. That's the rule (as I understand it anyway).

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I would say that this is pretty much the limit to these things.
    Pretty much, yeah. Personally, I would have called this Earth-τ (or Earth-tau), after the symbol for Proper Time in physics. But otherwise, I endorse this thread.

    As I've said elsewhere, the breakpoint between two eras is often fuzzy. I'd say that that's true here, too: I'd peg the beginning of the transition from Earth-Σ to Earth-τ at Armageddon-2001, and it gets finalized by Zero Hour. Many, if not most, of the characters introduced between 1991 and 1994 would exist on Earth-τ but not Earth-Σ; and the primary story arc that differentiates the two would be Death of Superman→Reign of the Supermen→Emerald Twilight→Zero Hour.

    At the other end, Earth-τ starts to become Earth-Δ right around 2001, and is in full swing by late 2003. I'd put Quiver as the first story that happens on Earth-Δ but not Earth-τ; though the main event that really gets the ball rolling is Titans/YJ: Graduation Day.

    Another reason why I like the “time” motif as part of this Earth's name is because 1991–2003 was a period of evolution for DC; where the eras before and after this period were rife with retcons, this era actually managed to maintain a reasonably consistent timeline; but that timeline was a very dynamic one. Start with the return of the JSA in 1991, only for them to be wiped out by Zero Hour — except that that was immediately followed up by Jack Knight's Starman that eventually lead to the rebirth of the JSA. The Justice League started out in the waning days off the JLI, which struggled on for a number of years before Morrison's JLA took over. the New Titans, likewise, were falling apart at the start of this era and were relaunched three times: once in the wake of Zero Hour, again when the Jurgens Teen Titans hit the scene, and one last time with JLA/Titans: the Technis Imperative. They got joined by a new team of kids that barely even existed as individuals at the start of the era: Young Justice.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 01-01-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,606

    Default

    Oh: near the end of this era, there were some Hypertime shenanigans that the editors put a kibosh on: most notably Superboy: Hypertension, Titans: Who is Troia?, and the Flash story (name escapes me) that introduced Wallace West, the Dark Flash. The latter was ended by the Trinity showing up and telling Wallace to go home. On Earth-τ, Is keep him around. I'd also consider putting together an Earth-τ version of the Outlaws: Eradicator, Azrael, Artemis, Dark Flash, and Warrior.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I would say that this is pretty much the limit to these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. Personally, I would have called this Earth-τ (or Earth-tau), after the symbol for Proper Time in physics. But otherwise, I endorse this thread.

    As I've said elsewhere, the breakpoint between two eras is often fuzzy. I'd say that that's true here, too: I'd peg the beginning of the transition from Earth-Σ to Earth-τ at Armageddon-2001, and it gets finalized by Zero Hour. Many, if not most, of the characters introduced between 1991 and 1994 would exist on Earth-τ but not Earth-Σ; and the primary story arc that differentiates the two would be Death of Superman→Reign of the Supermen→Emerald Twilight→Zero Hour.

    ...
    Yeah, the breakpoints are fuzzy...thus all our fuzzy speculation.

    DdClock#12 told us that an earth is archived when a new era of Superman begins and gave examples: Earth 2, Earth 1985 and Earth 52.

    The big question: what constitutes a new era for Superman?

    There were many throwaway crises; I didn't know just how unimportant they were until I learned this new criteria.

    In short, if it doesn't begin a new era for Superman, then it's not archived into its own earth. In other words, it just a series of unpleasant events for all involved.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Uuhhh I guess what I already said in the other Earth, that when the Crisis is over, Dick and Babs actually get married
    Also maybe don't destroy Bludhaven if Crisis hasn't happened because at that time Dick already got rid of Blockbuster, cleaned up the corrupt part of BPD, and after infiltrating the mafia managed to convince everyone to stay out of Bludhaven. It's supposed to be the end of the 90s dark era and the beginning of a new one where Bludhaven is safer.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Yeah, the breakpoints are fuzzy...thus all our fuzzy speculation.

    DdClock#12 told us that an earth is archived when a new era of Superman begins and gave examples: Earth 2, Earth 1985 and Earth 52.

    The big question: what constitutes a new era for Superman?

    There were many throwaway crises; I didn't know just how unimportant they were until I learned this new criteria.

    In short, if it doesn't begin a new era for Superman, then it's not archived into its own earth. In other words, it just a series of unpleasant events for all involved.
    Actually, what Doomsday Clock says is that whenever the Metaverse changes, the Multiverse grows. It then followed that up with the purpose being to preserve every era of Superman; but it doesn't specify that a new era of Superman is necessary in order for a new Earth to form.

    I will say that Superman's backstory was kinda sorta changed by Zero Hour (moving from a 1986 Metropolis debut to a “ten years ago” debut, and adding Conduit to his backstory); but I wouldn't argue that those actually qualify as “a new era of Superman”. And it was, originally, emblematic of why I wasn't breaking the 1986–2003 years into two parts. But then, as I said above, I think the “new era of Superman” argument as a requirement is a red herring. Again, the only requirement for a new Earth is that the Metaverse changes.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •