• Topher

1 2.22%
  • Gib

1 2.22%
  • Rufus

1 2.22%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Her training with Hellstrom is irrelevant without the arm. The lack of arm has been explained, and Alex being alive again acknowledges that it happened.

Nico isn't the brightest, seems like something she could have easily not kept up with after that team dissolved.
    Her training has nothing to do with the arm. She is a trained fighter but she acts nothing like it in the book. Because it's retconned.

Nico was learning different languages before A-Force was formed. She wasn't doing it for the team, she was doing it for herself (issue 1). But that's also retconned.

A writer ignoring continuity isn't exclusive to Runaways. It's just blatantly obvious to me because Nico is one of my favorite characters and I've been following her now retconned journey for a long time and I know her appearances in those books by heart. Rowell is distancing the book from those runs and I realized that bothers me. More now with this recent arc. It's still a great book so I can totally see why it doesn't bother most everyone else

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Her training has nothing to do with the arm. She is a trained fighter but she acts nothing like it in the book. Because it's retconned.

Nico was learning different languages before A-Force was formed. She wasn't doing it for the team, she was doing it for herself (issue 1). But that's also retconned.

A writer ignoring continuity isn't exclusive to Runaways. It's just blatantly obvious to me because Nico is one of my favorite characters and I've been following her now retconned journey for a long time and I know her appearances in those books by heart. Rowell is distancing the book from those runs and I realized that bothers me. More now with this recent arc. It's still a great book so I can totally see why it doesn't bother most everyone else
    I think you have a very liberal usage of the term retcon. Stepping backwards isn't in, and of itself a retcon. Every perceived negation of her skills has an implicit or explicit explanation that doesn't make it so that previous events could be said to have not happened as originally presented. The events of Academy/Arena/Undercover/A-Force all happened exactly the way they were presented. That's not to say they aren't largely treated as unimportant, they have been treated as such.

Once again, her training from Son of Satan was largely magical in nature. Magic that came from the Witch Arm, and not the staff. The Staff made the arm go away, thereby making that magical training largely non-applicable. Any other skills she may have gained in Bagalia have neither been demonstrated or said not to exist. Aside from the current arc I would say the opportunities to do so have been slim. Nothing has been retconned.

Not doing homework or forgetting something important isn't a retcon either. She was in a different situation during the beginning of A-Force than she was after the team was formed. Likewise when A-Force disbanded she is in a situation where her priorities are different. It's explicitly her situation in Issue one of the relaunch. After the events of A-Force, the group disbanded and now Nico doesn't know what to do with herself. Editor notes aren't needed.

Or if you want, Gertrude Yorkes Prime punched some walls.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    That is odd, I recall #31 having had a different solicit initially but that doesn't appear to be the case. I didn't see it as being off when I read it on AIPT in earlier.

In any case the article you just linked to appears to have a revised solicit of sorts.

"New Arc! Great jumping on point! After the events of last issue, the Runaways are in a dark and scary place. There are so many pieces to pick up and choices to be made and if the Runaways are good at anything it’s making bad choices."
    Must've been fixed in the three hours between my post and your reply.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nico's mastery of her powers have always fluctuated. Anyone remember the Witchbreaker staff and how she could fly? And then she almost immediately lost any powerup from that and the staff slowly reverted

Remind me where her training with Hellstrom has been acknowledged and why is she portrayed so incapable despite it? What about all the different languages she had been learning in A-Force? Why is she struggling with spell names every other issue?
    Any character or team at Marvel or DC that is published for long enough where you can no longer read their entire publication history as a single contiguous story.

They never bothered to resolve any of the threads from the end of Volume 3. From that point on, the Runaways have been treated just liked any other Marvel property.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Any character or team at Marvel or DC that is published for long enough where you can no longer read their entire publication history as a single contiguous story.

They never bothered to resolve any of the threads from the end of Volume 3. From that point on, the Runaways have been treated just liked any other Marvel property.
    For sure. But it got to a point nothing matters because the risk isn't that any development might be retconned/forgotten/ignored in 10 years, it's that it will be in the next run. And at that point what even is the point of telling a story in a connected universe? I expect and want more from creative teams and the editorial.

What do you guys think about the new artist announcement? Issue 32 will be drawn by Natacha Bustos - Moon Girl's artist.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What do you guys think about the new artist announcement? Issue 32 will be drawn by Natacha Bustos - Moon Girl's artist.
    If I remember her art correctly, it should definitely be a style change from the past few artists on Rowell's run.

BANNED

did you think of chase as athletic in og books? like a jock or whatever?

or do you think some later books have made it more so?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    His father *called* him a jock, but I got more of a slacker / stoner / Shaggy vibe from him. The TV show Chase is much more 'jock-y.'

He still doesn't seem very jock-like in the book, IMO, although he does seem to have gotten nerdier and more 'appealing' to a wider demographic, with his more obnoxious traits dailed down, perhaps because he's no longer contrasted with Alex (who was the more sympathetic of the two dudes, originally, I thought, before the big dramatic face turn)? He's also noticeably matured, perhaps more so than the others.

I understand & agree..

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post

Chase felt more like the preppy ******* with a weird fascination of terrorists, and serial killers. Less of a Jake Wyler, and more like Eric Christian Olsen's Austen from Not Another Teen Movie.

Rainbow Rowell decided to make him a fundamentally decent guy.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Finished #29, and I am well beyond ready for this storyline to end. There are some nice moments of characterization, and there's nothing inherently wrong with establishing more of the J-Team's history. But the pace of this arc just feels agonizingly slow. I'm sure there's gonna be some pay off, but this issue feels like it added very little that wasn't already implied previously.

I think part of the problem is that Rowell isn't interested in writing dynamic fight scenes, so we're just getting the New J-Team's missions from Gert's perspective.

It's telling, not showing

I actually enjoyed this issue more than the past few -- best J-team issue for me so far because I liked the social commentary regarding "celebrity" and Doc's goals with the Runaways contrasted with the simplicity of Gert's concern for her family.

Super random prediction: after Doc is found out -- maybe after some tragedy? -- the kids decide that he becomes dinner for Gib.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Funny you should say that, because I took Gert's comment in regards to not being replaceable as a sly nod to her almost-replacement from Vol 3.

-Pav, who wonders what's after this arc...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details