• Gib

1 2.22%
  • Rufus

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Default Runaways Appreciation 2020

New year, new thread;

Created by Brian K. Vaughan, and Adrian Alphona in 2003 for Marvel's short lived "Tsunami" imprint, Runaways was an interesting book based on a simple idea. "Everyone at some point thinks their parents are evil. What if they actually are?"

Six upper-class teenagers whose families have known each other their entire lives discover one evening that their parents were supervillains, and a part of an apocalyptic cult called "The Pride." Using tools, and abilities inherited from their families the teenagers go on the run to take their parents down, being framed for murder/kidnapping in the process.

While they eventually succeed, they ultimately choose to continue their truant lifestyles, and protect Los Angeles from evil doers as nameless vigilantes. They would later be known more formally as the...

With 2019 having come to a close it's time for a new appreciation thread starring Marvel's favourite squadron of courageous youngsters. 2019 was a great year for the characters in both comics, and television so let's hope 2020 is even better. The show may have been cancelled, but the book should at least be around for most of 2020.

The previous thread can be found here for now.

What was your favourite Runaways moment from 2019?
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 12-31-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Thread now unlocked with Admin locking 2019 threads
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Jumped the gun on this one by Eight or so hours, my bad. Was trying to prepare the poll.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Don't be surprised if it accidentally gets locked. That's why we're supposed to wait. I wouldn't launch new ones before Midnight Eastern Time - 5am GMT.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I won't be, didn't mean to post it early. Was only preparing the thread, and didn't realize trying to add a poll would automatically post it to the forum.

Happy New Year to my favorite young adult runaways .

I love that Molly is the early lead in the pole.

Anyone else really hoping Victor and Viv meet sometime this year?

I really want to know where her feelings are with her uncle after everything, does she realizes it was all a horrible accident and started to forgive him or like her father would she likely attack on site or hell do they even know he's alive?

They should know. Viv has access to a database of all active superheroes (likely due to Vision's Avengers connection). In Champions #25, the team needed magic to find two missing teammates, but Viv listed several mages who were unavailable for various reasons (they used the patron deity who gave Snowguard her powers, in the end). So it's likely that Viv knows about the Runaways' recent activities.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Anyone else really hoping Victor and Viv meet sometime this year?

I really want to know where her feelings are with her uncle after everything, does she realizes it was all a horrible accident and started to forgive him or like her father would she likely attack on site or hell do they even know he's alive?
    That meeting would be so complicated that I'm not sure if any writer wants to have to deal with it.

I would be hesitant to read a reunion between the two characters. I don't think there is any way for it to go down well. Any story of redemption or forgiveness wouldn't likely feel earned, and a conventional superhero fight feels like it would downplay the situation. Accident or not, Victor killed his nephew. His niece isn't likely going to invite him over for tea anytime soon.

It's such a messy real world situation, that I'm content with it being only ever brought up as Mancha's eternal shame while hoping that his brother's family never comes after him.

I voted for Rufus.

It's going to happen eventually (writers can't resist such good drama) but I'd much rather it happen in Runaways as Rainbow shown many times in this run that she has masterful skill at handling and delving into these messy, complex human situations.

Just look at the brief reunion with Alex, there mixed emotions all-round.

Unlike most writers I think she'd avoid going for the more obvious clichés and deliver something more nuanced and personal.
    Last edited by walk; 01-03-2020 at 04:07 PM.

I doubt it would happen in Runaways. Vision's not the biggest comics star, but I think fallout from his Maxi-series would have to be in a title he's more relevant to. If not not contained within its own mini-series that is. I don't think Rowell would be able to deal with it any further than she already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I doubt it would happen in Runaways. Vision's not the biggest comics star, but I think fallout from his Maxi-series would have to be in a title he's more relevant to. If not not contained within its own mini-series that is. I don't think Rowell would be able to deal with it any further than she already has.
    Like I said at the start it's more Viv perspective I'm interested in getting. I certainly know how Vision still feels towards his brother but with Viv it's never been outright addressed.

Though I have a suspicion if there ever was a scenario where Vision could forgive Victor I think it would be Viv who'd play a big role in bringing him around or maybe not maybe she can't find it in herself to forgive him either, we just don't know which is why I want to see them meet.

These are difficult and messy situations but handled well they can make for powerful and compelling drama.