View Poll Results: Bravest Youngster

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Wilder

    2 8.33%
  • Nico Minoru

    2 8.33%
  • Chase Stein

    1 4.17%
  • Gertrude Yorkes

    1 4.17%
  • Molly Hayes

    7 29.17%
  • Karolina Dean

    7 29.17%
  • Old Lace

    0 0%
  • Victor Mancha

    1 4.17%
  • Xavin

    1 4.17%
  • Klara Prast

    0 0%
  • Topher

    0 0%
  • Gib

    1 4.17%
  • Rufus

    1 4.17%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 113
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    It's not just that she is weaker. It's also she's acting like she hasn't used them to fight many times. Like she hasn't trained a whole bunch. It's a complete retcon and I loathe it. It completely takes me out of an otherwise great book.

    This isn't the Nico that's canon as far as I'm concerned. She has several gaming appearances, her powers are what's been established in Arena, Undercover and A-Force in all of them. What Nico( and Chase for that matter) went through in Arena was huge and meaningful and that being ignored is prime example of what's wrong with marvel comics and why nothing matters

  2. #32
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    8,874

    Default

    The Runaways shouldn't be fighters and it's like Vaughn intentionally sabotaged Nico by giving her a power limit that is so stupid that it would be impossible to consistently portray her as a skilled magician anyway. In the context of Hopeless' books that stuff worked but in actual Runaways? Ehhhh...

  3. #33
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Doesn't really go against much. She's shown zero ability to produce magic at will without using the Witch Arm or the Staff of One. Having one take away the other isn't the worst thing that could happen considering that Arena, and Undercover weren't the most well received or read comics.

    As far as the book as a whole making the characters act like amateurs.... Marvel has been fairly insistent that the Runaways aren't "superheroes", despite the fact that they actively fought villains (with little to know personal connection), and saved people for the majority of their publication history.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Alienated - Die - Far Sector - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The Runaways shouldn't be fighters and it's like Vaughn intentionally sabotaged Nico by giving her a power limit that is so stupid that it would be impossible to consistently portray her as a skilled magician anyway. In the context of Hopeless' books that stuff worked but in actual Runaways? Ehhhh...
    The problem is that the runs are being entirely ignored, like they didn't happen. Molly breaking down to Chase about losing everyone she loves and not wanting that to happen anymore is ridiculous when the book ignores Chase was kidnapped and put into a horrible situation for a whole month and Molly went through a whole thing

  5. #35
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The Runaways shouldn't be fighters and it's like Vaughn intentionally sabotaged Nico by giving her a power limit that is so stupid that it would be impossible to consistently portray her as a skilled magician anyway. In the context of Hopeless' books that stuff worked but in actual Runaways? Ehhhh...
    Hopeless ideas with the magic arm worked well when she was playing to be a hero. The current plot is Nico finding that she isnt a child anymore, she isnt a runaway running from the adults or a super witch. She is a girl with a staff she doesnt know what she wants for her life. All the first part of the book was about the runaways strugling with adulthood.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    I liked the Witcharm because it made her more viable in a standard superhero setting
    It's great for videogames where it can allow her to shoot magic zaps and fly, but not so much in a book like Runaways which is less about giant cinematic super fights
    It makes sense to scale back her powers to what is more unique and what will make her struggle more

    And I liked that there is an in-story reason for her getting nerfed, using it as an opportunity to create new plotlines and add more backstory.

    I do agree that she should be a lot more competent than she's being depicted, all of them should. But I can live with it because the series is still enjoyable

  7. #37
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    The problem is that the runs are being entirely ignored, like they didn't happen. Molly breaking down to Chase about losing everyone she loves and not wanting that to happen anymore is ridiculous when the book ignores Chase was kidnapped and put into a horrible situation for a whole month and Molly went through a whole thing
    I think you are making the AA a bigger deal that it was. Their trauma was addresed in the Avengers undercover, and their have some mentions about murderworld and Alex. But I dont think the events of the AA would mark them more than the original Runaways series. Having to fight with a bunch of randoms is nothing compared with losing your parents.
    and Molly just lost her mother again recenly.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    I think you are making the AA a bigger deal that it was. Their trauma was addresed in the Avengers undercover, and their have some mentions about murderworld and Alex. But I dont think the events of the AA would mark them more than the original Runaways series. Having to fight with a bunch of randoms is nothing compared with losing your parents.
    and Molly just lost her mother again recenly.
    Nico literally died.

    They experienced brutal deaths first hand, reached their limit so badly that they tried killing other kids

  9. #39
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    The problem is that the runs are being entirely ignored.
    They really aren't. The events of Academy/Arena/Undercover/A-Force relevant to Nico, and the Runaways have all been acknowledged considerably. The way the current book wishes to present itself merely makes them largely irrelevant. They might become important again one day, but not now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Nico literally died.

    They experienced brutal deaths first hand, reached their limit so badly that they tried killing other kids
    She got better.

    Sure. But they aren't now.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 01-14-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Alienated - Die - Far Sector - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  10. #40
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The Runaways shouldn't be fighters and it's like Vaughn intentionally sabotaged Nico by giving her a power limit that is so stupid that it would be impossible to consistently portray her as a skilled magician anyway. In the context of Hopeless' books that stuff worked but in actual Runaways? Ehhhh...
    I think were well past that point with everything they've gone through by now.

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    They really aren't. The events of Academy/Arena/Undercover/A-Force relevant to Nico, and the Runaways have all been acknowledged considerably. The way the current book wishes to present itself merely makes them largely irrelevant. They might become important again one day, but not now.
    With the exception of A-Force, though even that's dodgy with her failing to come up with names for spells contantly, I disagree, I think they are very much being ignored and that was the whole idea from the start

  12. #42
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    With the exception of A-Force, though even that's dodgy with her failing to come up with names for spells contantly, I disagree, I think they are very much being ignored and that was the whole idea from the start
    You cannot acknowledge, and ignore at the same time. Every narrative point you noted has been acknowledged. You're just placing a different level of importance on them than the current series does. She was given a power boost when a Runaways book was unfeasible, when the book became a reality said boost was taken away.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Alienated - Die - Far Sector - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    You cannot acknowledge, and ignore at the same time. Every narrative point you noted has been acknowledged. You're just placing a different level importance on them than the current series does.
    Remind me where her training with Hellstrom has been acknowledged and why is she portrayed so incapable despite it? What about all the different languages she had been learning in A-Force? Why is she struggling with spell names every other issue?

  14. #44
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Remind me where her training with Hellstrom has been acknowledged and why is she portrayed so incapable despite it? What about all the different languages she had been learning in A-Force? Why is she struggling with spell names every other issue?
    Her training with Hellstrom is irrelevant without the arm. The lack of arm has been explained, and Alex being alive again acknowledges that it happened.

    Nico isn't the brightest, seems like something she could have easily not kept up with after that team dissolved.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Alienated - Die - Far Sector - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  15. #45
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Remind me where her training with Hellstrom has been acknowledged and why is she portrayed so incapable despite it? What about all the different languages she had been learning in A-Force? Why is she struggling with spell names every other issue?
    What training did with Hellstrom? , they only thing she did was lose the control all over again, destroy things and get more and more corrupted with the use of that magic. thank god she left that behind. Right now she has a new problem with her magic but at least is something she choose and helps to move the plot .
    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Nico isn't the brightest, seems like something she could have easily not kept up with after that team dissolved.
    Yeah Nico is the queen of bad choices, I love her but she has problems. She has been facing depression since A-force dissolved, I don't think she has been studying a lot.
    Last edited by hulkling; 01-14-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •