Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How should THE CREEPER be portrayed?

I've always loved The Creeper as he's one of the most unusual characters around. Created by the great Steve Ditko, he's the alter-ego of journalist Jack Ryder. He's basically an amalgamation of Joker and Spider-Man. You'd think with that creator and the mix of character traits he would have found more success.

There have been numerous takes on the character over the years. Sometimes it's all an act put on by Ryder, sometimes it's insanity, sometimes he's an actual demon from hell, and there's that unfortunate New 52 take when he was a Japanese oni. I personally think the version of The Creeper that appeared on Batman: TAS was a great blueprint on how to do the character. He was a lot like Freakazoid.

(here's a fake team up cover)

I loved The Creeper's recent appearance in DCeased: Unkillables. He seemed a lot like the "loony" version from TAS.

It is kinda odd that he's been portrayed as a villain or at least siding with the villains in Doomsday Clock and here in Unkillables.

Another great scene from unkillables.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking “Batman TAS” even as I clicked.
    You got it in one!

EDIT
    Your Inkillables scans are pretty cool.
    It’s a bit off putting reading Creeper’s silly dialogue while looking at those razor sharp teeth and talons...!
    Last edited by Riv86672; 04-25-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Retired

I think Ryder put on an act, but once he let himself go that way, he became unhinged. You see this happen with actors sometimes--they get so immersed in their role that they lose touch with reality.

I prefer him to actually have some powers and not just be a good in a strange costume. Love the fact that he can wall crawl. So few DC characters have that ability, plus it has a nice connection to Ditko.

The fact that the current version is similar to TAS and can apparently heal from anything makes him kinda like a living cartoon (or even Deadpool, though I know that would turn some people off).
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-25-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Really that’s an accurate portrayal of what being a superhero might really be like.
    Having a whole other persona to just disappear into has to have an effect on the mind.

Heroically insane, yep, that about nails it.

Boisterously Confused

The Creeper was a true original.

Some have blamed his color design for him not being more successful. I think it was timing.

Basically, he was Deadpool before comics was ready for it.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Creeper was a true original.

Some have blamed his color design for him not being more successful. I think it was timing.

Basically, he was Deadpool before comics was ready for it.
    I literally came into this thread to say this. I agree 100% percent.

Don't know what to do with him now. I don't wanna just throw any of it away... be kinda cool if ALL of those origins/histories could be true.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That episode of BTAS was so striking it's all I can think about when I think The Creeper. He should absolutely be a complete and total lunatic who sides with the angels.

I do love the concept that The Joker hates his guts because he feels less unique because of the dude. They should clash more often.

Mighty Member

Ah yes the Creeper. A very underutilized character in the DC universe.

I think the Creeper should look how his name states, creepy

the creeper.jpg

I remember being really excited when Creeper showed up for a couple of early issues of the Giffen era JL book.

He was written really well here, immediately getting on Batman’s nerves, providing valuable information, and alluding to the fact that he was a lot darker on the inside than one would expect from his goofy persona.

That’s some good Creeper!

I think his biggest problem is the design.
    All the examples here show instances where he was written really well, but his look isn't the best.

I found this image which I like:

I'd maybe change his expression to something more classic (and less akin to a sad Joker Lol), but the clothes and skin tone are spot on to me .

I like the Unkillables and BTAS versions, but I want to see more of Jack Ryder too. In our world of punditry and political divisiveness, Jack’s role as a news reporter/talk show host could be very compelling in a world full of meta humans.

I like that he had his powers forced upon him - perhaps a tragedy, depending on his take on superheroes, before his transformation occurred.

I’d also like to see him struggle with his powers, in the sense it’s very easy for him to lose himself to the Creeper.

I don’t know if I’d keep him in Gotham as a television reporter or have him move to a new city to call his own. I can see either option being a interesting setting for the character.

Tom Taylor was born to write The Creeper, I guess .