BANNED

Default French Film-maker Olivier Assayas on the X-Men

The French film-maker Olivier Assayas was asked his opinion on Scorsese's attack on the MCU. His views are interesting because he actually declares himself to be a fan of the X-Men comics and cites Claremont by name.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/olivier-...perhero-films/

Don’t think Assayas is some elitist cinephile snob though. Assayas is a comic book fan who has seen the films like everyone else and has a soft spot for the X-Men comics scripted by Chris Claremont in the 1980s because: “He created a rich and complex universe and narrative forms which seemed to be much more daring than what Hollywood cinema wanted to explore back then.”

He also says he has no prejudice about Marvel universe adaptations, but isn’t a big fan of the MCU films and has specific reasons why:

“The film adaptations of the X-Men, which are not the worst, do not demonstrate comparable originality [to the comics]. But like other recent Marvel movies, I find them terribly sanitized. The whole ‘Avengers’ cycle, in particular, seemed particularly fishy to me. The narration is simplified to the extreme and the transgressive eroticism that some screenwriters injected into these comics, and which was a big part of their interest, has completely disappeared… I insist on the fact that if we want to understand what Scorsese is talking about, we must not forget that he does not evoke superhero cinema in general but what the Marvel universe turned into today’s universe. These are two different questions.”
    Assayas is a major award winning director at festivals, who made a number of films like Carlos, Irma Vep (which is a comedy about French movies trying to make a superhero movie), Something in the Air, and the recent movie with Kristen Stewart called Personal Shopper.

He's among Chris Claremont's highest profile fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The French film-maker Olivier Assayas was asked his opinion on Scorsese's attack on the MCU. His views are interesting because he actually declares himself to be a fan of the X-Men comics and cites Claremont by name.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/olivier-...perhero-films/

Assayas is a major award winning director at festivals, who made a number of films like Carlos, Irma Vep (which is a comedy about French movies trying to make a superhero movie), Something in the Air, and the recent movie with Kristen Stewart called Personal Shopper.

He's among Chris Claremont's highest profile fans.

''“The film adaptations of the X-Men, which are not the worst, '' lol.
    well that is the result you get when you pick the more of 2 goods Mr Olivier. What are some of recent x-men movies I have disdain for that makes Assayas right. X-Men Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix but even X2 is no where as good as God Loves, Man kills and I still consider X2 among the legit story telling director driven superheroes movies ever done but Claremont wrote such a daring masterpiece with that story line. it was going to be hard to do it real justice on screen.

Anyway shout out to the legendary Claremont. I hope Disney does not make him sign some kind of silent contract about the new xmen movies as they did with George Lucas because Claremont has been vocal about not just x-men movies but other superhero movies.

That been said though a lot of High profile directors have always been attracted to xmen's universe. it will be nice to get a talented High profile director directing the next x-men movie. Maybe Olivier can offer himself to direct the next xmen movie if Disney would obviously agree on his own terms.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-31-2019 at 05:53 PM.