Page 366 of 432 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,490 of 6479

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Peter Parker is the only one I can think who has reverted to his classic costume after his “black costume” period… But the “blue and red” is timeless and iconic and in the story, it was quite logical.
    Scott Summers? He has no fantasy, it would make no sense he follows any trend.

Jean Grey, on the other hand, is supposed to have some taste in fashion… It’s ridiculous for an experienced woman to wear such a dress. You want to make some impression? You don’t wear out-of-dated clothes that makes you look like a young girl. I don’t blame the character: it’s stupid from the authors to dress her like that. It gives the impression that she isn’t the real Jean Grey and has come from some spatio-temporal flaw.
    Yeah, that is what I keep thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Also - I'm fine with Marvel Girl specifically because of the scene that Thirteen just posted. Jean doesn't need to be an insecure teenage girl to use it. In fact, saying that someone going by girl is insecure or weak is inherently sexist.
    I always had some problems with Cat Grant (and the writers of Supergirl) trying their darndest not to make ”girl” sound like someone who isn’t yet a woman. To me, Supergirl is a coming of age-story, so I am okay with the name. I am not caught up on the latest seasons, but am pretty sure it will end with her becoming Superwoman.

To me, you stop being a girl when you become an adult. The 05 were teenagers, and Jean isn’t a teenager anymore. She is a powerful, fierce woman, a force of nature. She is Marvel Woman. Or Phoenix. Or, heck, Captain Marvel. And she needs a costume that shows she is an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Questioned the suggestion that Jean as Marvel Girl (or ever) was an "insecure teen". Nothing has been given to support that supposition.

Peter Parker? Bobby Drake? Angelica Jones? Scott Summers didn't change his suit from his teen years until he was put out to pasture and then came back from retirement. There are heroes who are still wearing the same or similar costumes from their early days.

The objectionable word would seem to be GIRL. And since SuperGIRL was cited as an example:

Seriously, I'm waiting for Quentin Quire to call her "Marvel MILF" one of these days!

I was never referring to Jean specifically as insecure, it was just a criticism of her codename sounding like something a teenager would use.

A connection to Mar-Vell isn't necessary. Look at Monica Rambeau. It's just a fun little elseworlds thing anyway.

Also - I'm fine with Marvel Girl specifically because of the scene that Thirteen just posted. Jean doesn't need to be an insecure teenage girl to use it. In fact, saying that someone going by girl is insecure or weak is inherently sexist.
    I ,on the other hand, find referring to an adult woman as girl very sexist, all the mental gymnastic from that tv show is really not necessary when you treat both sexes the same way.
    No one here meant to imply "girl" should be synonimous of "insecure" but rather that an adult woman referring to herself as girl sounds more like some "insecurity issues" from her TEENAGE years were never resolved.
    Last edited by Daedra; 10-27-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    To me, you stop being a girl when you become an adult. The 05 were teenagers, and Jean isn’t a teenager anymore. She is a powerful, fierce woman, a force of nature. She is Marvel Woman. Or Phoenix. Or, heck, Captain Marvel. And she needs a costume that shows she is an adult.
    This all started because I mentioned Jean could've been a candidate for Captain Marvel and IDK how we got here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I on the other hand find referring to an adult woman as girl very sexist, all the mental gymnastic from that tv show is really not necessary when you treat both sexes the same way.
    But it's perfectly fine to refer to Noh-Varr, a grown man, as Marvel Boy? I don't think that 'boy' or 'girl' inherently means that someone has to be weak or young or insecure. It really doesn't. Grown men and women refer to themselves as boys and girls ALL the time, because they are.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Still going through some old art and found this. I remember being amped up during Red like "they don't want no Jeaaaan!" lol.

The bald guy is X in fantomex body.

Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Still going through some old art and found this. I remember being amped up during Red like "they don't want no Jeaaaan!" lol.

The bald guy is X in fantomex body.

Love it! Love me some powerhouse Jeannie!

This all started because I mentioned Jean could've been a candidate for Captain Marvel and IDK how we got here lol.

But it's perfectly fine to refer to Noh-Varr, a grown man, as Marvel Boy? I don't think that 'boy' or 'girl' inherently means that someone has to be weak or young or insecure. It really doesn't. Grown men and women refer to themselves as boys and girls ALL the time, because they are.
    If we are leaning into Jean Grey being fashionable and a former model...then in that industry you ALWAYS want to be a "Girl".

Fight like a GIRL.

JUST A GIRL
    Last edited by Thirteen; 10-28-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added Modeling pic

But it's perfectly fine to refer to Noh-Varr, a grown man, as Marvel Boy?
    Did anyone say that?

I don't think that 'boy' or 'girl' inherently means that someone has to be weak or young or insecure. It really doesn't. Grown men and women refer to themselves as boys and girls ALL the time, because they are.
    To be honest I don't really care that much, you keep concentrating on the "girl" part while my issue was mostly with the "inferred age", If you like it, more power to you, it's just something that doesn't agree with my taste when it comes to Jean code name.
    Last edited by Daedra; 10-27-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Nobody thinks about Noh-Varr. He's largely irrelevant

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Nobody thinks about Noh-Varr. He's largely irrelevant
    I concur...

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Put 'em all in one place.

Jeans.jpg
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

what in the earth is that event
    we can be heroes, just for one day

BANNED

I don't care to have Jean taking on some legacy name or variant of another character's name.

Her name, Jean Grey, is canonically known and feared across the universe. If not Phoenix, it should be Jean Grey, but if they have to give her a different name, it should be unique to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't care to have Jean taking on some legacy name or variant of another character's name.

Her name, Jean Grey, is canonically known and feared across the universe. If not Phoenix, it should be Jean Grey, but if they have to give her a different name, it should be unique to her.
    I agree.

I think Jean is well past the "Marvel Girl" name for current use.

Jean should be "Phoenix" but without the Phoenix power, that seems hollow. I feel Jean needs a NEW, unique name. But just what that name should be, well, that is the difficult part! (Which is probably why Marvel never gave her a new one). Nothing too long or unwieldy. Something which denotes power,