Page 5 of 432 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    "Because you're gripping my arm so tight it hurts."
    "if only you had been realy lifting weight your arm would be really hard to grip"

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    I just feel like writers frequently gloss over a lot of the personal things with Jean. I really do wish we had learned about Jean's feelings on everything (specifically her parents). Even back during the NXM days, I felt her inner-life, about the real everyday changes in her life, infidelity and the subsequent disintegration of her marriage, were glossed over. I felt like I got insight into Scott and Emma (more than I wanted in all honesty) but I don't feel like I was given a definitive portrait for Jean.
    The reason we didn't got many internal thoughts from Jean about Scott cheating, is that it would screw over Morrison plans to follow Scott and his new GF. people couldn't be sympathic to Jean, we got lots of pages about Scott whining about the marriage but none from Jean about it and how she felt about losing her husband. Never saw such effort to make cheating palatable
    Jean biggest problem are writers not interested in her own character and instead make her a woman in refrigerator or a ladder for their fave.
    I did love Taylor's take on the character. He through her into uncharted territory but I thought he managed
    to keep the character grounded. She was inventive, daring, clever, determined and optimistic. He didn't always have her UBER confident. She blamed herself for the Ambassador and felt like she should have been able to prevent what happened and we were also shown how Jean's optimism can be exploited as a weakness.

And I like that Taylor painted her as silver tongued. The Avengers (Steve Rogers and Tony Stark) didn't hesitate in hearing Jean out and helping her when asked. I have a head cannon where Jean's soulmate is Captain America, so seeing him worried about Jean facing Cassandra alone was cute.
    I even understand that Rosenberg wanted to explore depression, but seeing what he did with Scott, it wasn't a good job. So him not getting Red was really good;
    And Jean deserved something bigger, it was about time for her to step up and leave the shadows of Scott, Logan and Xavier.

Jean and Steve are really cute
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-03-2020 at 09:06 AM.

And in 2 seconds Jean's power is already miles better than how she was portrayed on the 90s show. I feel sorry for Jubilee though.

I'm really glad there are so much x-men products coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4a9BkOOuNo
    First X-Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Exactly why I came here!

This:

"Phoenix Resurrection
    He is a ig Jean fan and was honored to get to write her return. He was given a week to give the pitch after accepting it but Marvel did not like it. They wanted a bigger story which would have involved the Shi'ar and the cosmic elements of Xmen but MR felt those were more about Phoenix and not Jean, whom he felt was overshadowed by it. Someone said 'so you're writing a breakup story?' and MR said yeah he was bc he felt the two had a toxic relationship and wanted Jean to have agency in her own story. The role of the X-men was that of support group to someone in a co-dependent relationship. The Xmen were there to help her find a home when she was ready to leave the Phoenix. He was able to convince them to write the smaller scale mini instead of space wars. A woman gaining her agency after 30+ years"

Is everything that is wrong with Jean!!

Not exactly the story or approach, but that every single time Jean has the opportunity to do something huge. Someone behind the scenes pulls the rug out, I can't think of a worst choice between the two than what MR went with. Imo it was a fundamental misunderstanding on what the PF was and who Jean Grey is, she should have been ushered in, in a massive way the entire universe should have shuddered at her return. Instead she spends four issues peripheral to the story and amnesiac, only to finally show up at the end in one of the most cheesy moments ever. In the history of Jean's and the PF relationship she has rejected it, and she has taken ownership and I felt and still feel like MR deprived her of that she became some victim in the PF affairs. Which would have been fine IF, PR didn't spend the majority of it's issues focusing on everyone but Jean Grey.

This reminds of of Simon Kinsberg's opinion of DP, Jean always get stuck with the most boring and uninspired stories which are usually retreads of better executed story-lines. I always knew something about PR felt off, and I guess this is why, after 14 years Jean deserved a more memorable homecoming, he could have saved his "small intimate" story for AXM where he casually had Xavier mindwipe the 04!
    Phoenix ressurrection was so small that it barely made a impact on x-men line, much less on marvel universe.

Really a shame that they couldn't get a better story for Jean ressurrection. It had too little Jean

Even if he wanted the small scale story instead of the epic cosmic event, Resurrection should have been a crossover with tie-ins in X-men Blue, Gold, Weapon X and better coordinated with the Jean Grey solo, which should have been promoted as a PR prologue. They had teams broken up in the story but we barely saw them in action. The story could have been spread apart the titles with more emphasis on Jean in the actual main title

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Even if he wanted the small scale story instead of the epic cosmic event, Resurrection should have been a crossover with tie-ins in X-men Blue, Gold, Weapon X and better coordinated with the Jean Grey solo, which should have been promoted as a PR prologue. They had teams broken up in the story but we barely saw them in action. The story could have been spread apart the titles with more emphasis on Jean in the actual main title
    This would have been the ideal format to bring her back in for sure. It would have synched all the books around the event instead of having people guess when things were happening in the perspective books and how this character was here or knocked out/comatose in this book but active and portrayed differently in the mini because it wasn't coordinated with other writers.

If IW and Jean were to fight. Who would win?

Fantastic Member

Really a shame that they couldn't get a better story for Jean ressurrection. It had too little Jean
    Very little page time in her own story, was a trend started by Grant Morrison. "Murder at the X-Mansion", "Planet X", "Here Comes Tomorrow."

Jean was supposedly going to have a lot of page time in those stories but that was not the case as I recall. The page time she did get was usually in service to some other character.

PR, for all it's faults, IMO, built up to it's emotional climax in a way I doubt some big sweeping crossover would have.

The reason we didn't got many internal thoughts from Jean about Scott cheating, is that it would screw over Morrison plans to follow Scott and his new GF. people couldn't be sympathic to Jean, we got lots of pages about Scott whining about the marriage but none from Jean about it and how she felt about losing her husband. Never saw such effort to make cheating palatable
    Jean biggest problem are writers not interested in her own character and instead make her a woman in refrigerator or a ladder for their fave.
    I think Rosenberg, Taylor and Percy have done good character work thus far.

Hopefully the trend continues as the Marvel U moves forward.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    If IW and Jean were to fight. Who would win?
    Not sure who IW is, but I always wonder how Jean would handle Moondragon. The only time they have interacted was during the Infinity War in Quasar 38. Heather was beating both Jean and Betsy, but she did have the Mind Gem at the time. I would love to see a round 2.

Attachment 91058

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Not sure who IW is, but I always wonder how Jean would handle Moondragon. The only time they have interacted was during the Infinity War in Quasar 38. Heather was beating both Jean and Betsy, but she did have the Mind Gem at the time. I would love to see a round 2.

Attachment 91058
    Invisible Woman. And lol it looks like she's beating the crap out of them without tp.

Invisible Woman. And lol it looks like she's beating the crap out of them without tp.
    OH. LOL. Well I can't see how Susan could handle her telepathy, so Jean should win.

And with the Mind Gem MD could have cancelled out their mental powers and she was supposed to be one of Marvel's top fighters, being train in Titan martial arts or whatever. Betsy was never respected as a fighter outside the X-books by Marvel.

OH. LOL. Well I can't see how Susan could handle her telepathy, so Jean should win.

And with the Mind Gem MD could have cancelled out their mental powers and she was supposed to be one of Marvel's top fighters, being train in Titan martial arts or whatever. Betsy was never respected as a fighter outside the X-books by Marvel.
    You know some writer would come up with some BS like her mind is invisible when she goes invisible. They always find ways to nerf Jean's TP

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You know some writer would come up with some BS like her mind is invisible when she goes invisible. They always find ways to nerf Jean's TP
    What about her tk. I know it got hit by the nerf bat but still.

What about her tk. I know it got hit by the nerf bat but still.
    Honestly, I can't see either braking through each other's shields. That's why Jean has the advantage. I don't remember Sue having mental shields. That's why she was forced to become Malice both times. Her mind is her weak spot.

Honestly, I can't see either braking through each other's shields. That's why Jean has the advantage. I don't remember Sue having mental shields. That's why she was forced to become Malice both times. Her mind is her weak spot.
    Oh true, but can Jean still use tk/tp together like before. In HoX she couldn't and I don't think she's been in any fights in X-Force

Oh true, but can Jean still use tk/tp together like before. In HoX she couldn't and I don't think she's been in any fights in X-Force
    Yes she is both a telepath and telekinetic. She's used both powers in X-Force. She was able to in HoX, Hickman just didnt write the TK in there but he did in X-men #1