Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
Considering we are amidst an Age of staunchly non-Phoenix Jean (post Resdurection) and consideration of Jean Grey stories that treat her timeline as more than just a preamble to Phoenix Saga and revisitation of same (MCU Jean adaptation)...
Phoenix stories aside, what are the compelling stories/moments in the JEAN GREY SAGA?
While the Phoenix is an important component of the character you are correct that it isn't Jean's only story. I enjoy a lot of Jean stories sans Phoenix (the original X-men years, the Marvel Girl mask years (the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams stories were fun). Jean had several good moments in the 90's (an era I've come to appreciate more as I get older): Jean was a valuable member of the Gold Team, her fights with Sabretooth (X-men 28 as well as "Into the redzone"), the proposal to Scott, the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, X-cutioner's song, Jean's moments in Fatal Attractions, the Phalanx Covenent, Onslaught, and Operation Zero Tolerance. Jean often played valuable roles and had some decent feats along the way.

I love the X-factor years from the 80s. There is the frequent relationship drama and there is still some Phoenix involvement in some ways (her denying it, gaining a portion of it and the memories in the Inferno conclusion, using/expelling in Judgement War). I loved that Jean was spirited in the X-factor years (she still had her temper) and her tk powers were useful/valuable in almost every issue she was in. I loved the few quiet moments she had in the run (in some of the annuals). I like it when characters get to reflect and we can get insights into their motivations. I also liked that X-factor Jean had flaws and made mistakes. The 90's version of the character seemed older or at least more mature (more settled).

Of course there is the short lived X-men Red run which was loved by fans and critics. We see Jean post-phoenix (again) and it is a run that I criticized as it came out (Jean not being aggressive/assertive enough) but I find myself going back to it often. There was a lot to appreciate about the run (Jean's confidence, compassion, power, and her leadership abilities).

My favorite remains GM's New X-men where I feel that Jean was a perfect blend of omega mutant Jean Grey and Phoenix-Jean Grey. If only the character could have stayed as she was in this run.

Unrelated to the topic, but going back and re-reading much of the 90's X-men to the present I kind of agree that Jean's omega power should be her telepathy. It seemed like during those years her telepathy was often emphasized over her telekinesis. Another reason I love the X-factor era is because Jean didn't have her tp and had to rely on her tk (my favorite of her two powers). Don't get me wrong I love telepathy but I've always found telekinesis to be more interesting.