Page 157 of 432 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167207257 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 6479

going to the recent topic, i can't wait for her to leave the hideous and outdated Marvel girl look as well

Maybe calling it hideous was a reach

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    going to the recent topic, i can't wait for her to leave the hideous and outdated Marvel girl look as well

Maybe calling it hideous was a reach
    ???

Why do you hate it?

It’s gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    ???

Why do you hate it?

It’s gorgeous.
    She looks cute and femenine but they could at least made another new design with the same skirt and mask

It seems like she just came from the 60s

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    ???

Why do you hate it?

It’s gorgeous.
    I can't speak for all of us, Jean fans, but even if some of us don't hate it, I think it's not a great look on her. It's also stupid that she's wearing a suit she was wearing when she was a teenager. A suit that even the displaced teenager version (Jeen) wouldn't wear now. So that 60's suit and the Marvel Girl codename, it's like throwing away all Jean's growth and character development.

I call that regression. Because no denial in the world can make anyone - with a right mind - think that it's a character evolution. Spoiler alert : it's not.

Extraordinary Member

She looks cute and femenine but they could at least made another new design with the same skirt and mask

It seems like she just came from the 60s
    She’s trying to coordinate with Emma’s retro style, now that they’re Eskimo sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    I can't speak for all of us, Jean fans, but even if some of us don't hate it, I think it's not a great look on her. It's also stupid that she's wearing a suit she was wearing when she was a teenager. A suit that even the displaced teenager version (Jeen) wouldn't wear now. So that 60's suit and the Marvel Girl codename, it's like throwing away all Jean's growth and character development.

I call that regression. Because no denial in the world can make anyone - with a right mind - think that it's a character evolution. Spoiler alert : it's not.
    Whats worse is that she's ripped straight out of the 60s and they didnt even try to modernize her. Logan, Cyclops and Magneto are all back to wearing variations of past costumes but they've at least given them tweaks that improve upon the originals. Jean just looks sorely outdated

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Whats worse is that she's ripped straight out of the 60s and they didnt even try to modernize her. Logan, Cyclops and Magneto are all back to wearing variations of past costumes but they've at least given them tweaks that improve upon the originals. Jean just looks sorely outdated
    I agree. No rework, no redesign. It's like she just took the suit back from a basement, and didn't even care to dust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Often both costumes come across as palette swaps but he really differentiates them as unique in their own ways
    I agree. From the phoenix emblem size, to her hair, Paul Smith - Like John Byrne - really made the 2 sides of the character look distinctive.

You're right not even Teen Jean would wear something like that, she was rocking new and modern desings but Adult Jean has to wear a costume from the 60s?

My problem isn't with the skirt or the mask it's that she's wearing something that looks old and from the 60s, the green and plane outfit and the dishwashing gloves makes it even worse

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

My problem is that the costume looks dated and not just in that it's clearly a design from the 1960s. Even if she's wearing a dress Jean should look mature and refined, and that isn't what I feel like the mini dress offers.

It looks better in MUA3 and Future Fight though, if only because it's been texturized.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

My problem isn't with the skirt or the mask it's that she's wearing something that looks old and from the 60s, the green and plane outfit and the dishwashing gloves makes it even worse
    Oh, yes, the dishwashing gloves... Maybe they should gave her a new codename : Ajax...
    Just being cynical now.

Oh, yes, the dishwashing gloves... Maybe they should gave her a new codename : Ajax...
    Just being cynical now.

Asrar at least draws it as part of her dress and not gloves, and this artistic choice looks significantly better than the rest

I've always liked the Marvel Girl costume as a unique look for the character from a bygone era. It should never have been brought back. It is a dated look. My idea is that they put Jean in this costume because it makes her look strange. I thought it had something to do with "mutant clothes" and how Hickman said that mutants don't wear human clothes. Jean looks mutant-like in her weird mask and her dated uniform. It is the most different her look has ever been imo.

It just doesn't fit where Jean should be now following the X-Men Red series. It made sense for Jean to adopt the look during the Dark Phoenix Saga (it was her last look before Phoenix). Then it was about pride and finishing the way she started. I don't see the relevance of going back to the look currently. Though Jean did return in the Marvel Girl outfit in Phoenix Resurrection and was in the look during the X-Men Red Annual.

Jean was in a version of the look in Age of X-man. I just fear she has been so branded in this retro look that she will be in it for the foreseeable future.

As for the codename, I will always prefer "Jean Grey" or "Phoenix" to Marvel Girl but I don't hate the Marvel Girl codename. Much like the miniskirt costume it is something the character outgrew. Even during the X-factor years (which I didn't read as it came out as I started reading X-men in 1992 but I quickly bought back issues) I thought it was odd when she was called Marvel Girl. It just didn't fit her as it did during her beginning days.

I have to admit most of the artists since HoX have made Jean look really cute like the cotume or not, esp Asrar

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I have to admit most of the artists since HoX have made Jean look really cute like the cotume or not, esp Asrar
    I agree he does well with the look. I like Josh Cassara on X-force but he makes the mask too big and pointy. Yu is ok I guess, but I didn't like Jean's look so much in X-men 3. She looked better in issue 9.