Page 181 of 432 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 6479

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    2 is similar to what I did last year and what I would want

Damn, why can't we have her wear something like this in X-Force?! Why is she wearing her teenage dress for black-ops missions/intelligence meetings? Honestly Sage and Domino must get together to laugh at her choice of clothing. I know I would ( Tho Sage could do with losing her yellow jacket as well, kinda tacky) .

RE: Hickman's X-men, he wrote some AMAZING scenes for Destiny , Mystique and Emma, and he also elevated Moira from basically a nobody to the mastermind of the franchise. So I think he knows how to write female characters rather well, although it is true that he shines while writing men in high positions of power, making morally grey decisions ( i.e the Xavier, Apocalypse and Magneto meeting on Davos . IMO, the best issue of his run so far).

I said it before, but he probably has no plans for her in his storyline. Though he has acknowledged her power levels and status on the franchise: he gave her a QC seat( cue it's what she deserves.gif) , made her an omega( she already was but he could have ignored it ) , gave her the edge in the Giant Size Issue( where I expected her to fail miserably) and he gave her the cute little feat where she was collaborating with, I think 50 telepaths on the island? ( the Brood issue) That was nice. I think this is what we can expect from him: an acknowledgment of Jean as a character, but no real interest in developing her further ( she was already capable of doing everything I mentioned above before he came along).

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Recalling this boss moment in JeanÂ’s first (?) run at leading an X-Team...
    This is the mini series where she mind controls Frenzy, right? That was a dick move by Jean. I get she was desperate, but she went too far here, and IIRC, never got called out for it.

Looking back at this scene, I appreciate the character flaws Bendis gave her. He made her the nosy, perhaps overconfident psychic, but aside from that scene where she mind controls Angel ( and gets called out for it), she never sank so low as to do what she did to Frenzy.
    Last edited by Fall-From-Grace; 06-09-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fall-From-Grace View Post
    Damn, why can't we have her wear something like this in X-Force?! Why is she wearing her teenage dress for black-ops missions/intelligence meetings? Honestly Sage and Domino must get together to laugh at her choice of clothing. I know I would ( Tho Sage could do with losing her yellow jacket as well, kinda tacky)

This is the mini series where she mind controls Frenzy, right? That was a dick move by Jean. I get she was desperate, but she went too far here, and IIRC, never got called out for it.

Looking back at this scene, I appreciate the character flaws Bendis gave her. He made her the nosy, perhaps overconfident psychic, but aside from that scene where she mind controls Angel ( and gets called out for it), she never sank so low as to do what she did to Frenzy.
    It wasn't a miniseries but an arc in the main X-men books at the time. Jean led a new team in the Eve of Destruction arc. It was the storyline right before Morrison and Casey came on board for New X-men and Uncanny X-men. When it came out I was excited for Jean as a leader though I admit I didn't enjoy every issue of the arc.

It was the first time Jean lead a team on her own, but looking back at her history Jean displayed leadership qualities before (such as during X-factor, and later on the Gold Team). I like Jean being a leader as we saw with Teen Jean or X-men Red but Jean can serve as a leader in other ways (like the Quiet Council or what she does on X-force).

The Frenzy thing was problematic and Scott Lobdell should have known better (and whoever the editors were at the time). As characters Jean and Frenzy go back to the X-factor days.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Cable was nearly called Commander X.

As for Marvellous, that should be a team book name for Jean, Carol, Kamala, and Monica. Maybe add Sharon Ventura as well.
    “The Marvels” by Luciano Vecchio circa 2018

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Mind control/manipulation is something Psis sometimes have to do to get the job done...usually when there's no other recourse or the circumstances are extenuating. (As with Emma in Marauders 10. Or Jean in that post.)

Jean, Emma, Xavier, Rachel...None of the powerful telepathic X-Men actually go about changing and manipulating other people's minds for willy-nilly fun. And they are fully aware of the possible consequences of their actions. They're not compulsive narcissists.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-10-2020 at 05:38 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Mind control/manipulation is something Psis sometimes have to do to get the job done...usually when there's no other recourse or the circumstances are extenuating. (As with Emma in Marauders 10. Or Jean in that post.)

Jean, Emma, Xavier, Rachel...None of the powerful telepathic X-Men actually go about changing and manipulating other people's minds for willy-nilly fun. And they are fully aware of the possible consequences of their actions. They're not compulsive narcissists.
    While I understand the need for ethics surrounding the use of telepathy I don't mind so much telepaths reading minds, reading emotions, or even mind control when it is needed. Afterall they are doing what would be natural for them to do. The thing with Frenzy carried other implications and that is why I blame the writer (see her characterization during mind control or being mind altered).

I'm trying to think of other times Jean used mind control. I know she used it in the savage land in X-men Unlimited (the story with her, Polaris, Havok and Scott). She used it in the OG phoenix days (see: Kitty's parents). Jean controlled minds in New X-men during the Shi'ar attack (to direct people to safety). She used it on a whole crowd in Age of X-man. Any other examples?

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Marvellous

Or she can take up the mantle of X-Man/X-Person or Captain X or Gene, X-Gene or Cerebrix or Mutant X,
    Wow. It’s sooo eerie that you said “Marvellous” wait until you read today’s Excalibur.

Re: today's comics:

I can't wait for X-force, X-men, and Wolverine. Excalibur and New Mutants just aren't doing it for me.

I'm really anticipating the next Wolverine and hopefully we will find out if Jean did die or if it was all an illusion by the Pale Girl. The next issue of X-force might be Quire centric but perhaps Jean will appear or have something to do. Jean should be with Cyclops on their moon home in the next Hickman X-men issue (though we will wait until the last week of July to read it).

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Re: today's comics:

I can't wait for X-force, X-men, and Wolverine. Excalibur and New Mutants just aren't doing it for me.

I'm really anticipating the next Wolverine and hopefully we will find out if Jean did die or if it was all an illusion by the Pale Girl. The next issue of X-force might be Quire centric but perhaps Jean will appear or have something to do. Jean should be with Cyclops on their moon home in the next Hickman X-men issue (though we will wait until the last week of July to read it).
    Is there really any doubt to that? Jean died but it doesnt matter bc she will just get resurrected. In this era, I dont see what would be the point of doing a fakeout

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Is there really any doubt to that? Jean died but it doesnt matter bc she will just get resurrected. In this era, I dont see what would be the point of doing a fakeout
    My point is that we don't know what was real and what wasn't in the last issue. We think that the Pale Girl tricked Wolverine to kill his teammates but the whole thing could have been one big illusion, including Wolverine's talk to Scott back on the island. I think back to Percy hinting at things aren't what they seem on twitter and he wrote that right after issue 2 came out if I remember correctly.

I would like to see Jean assist in the take down of the Pale Girl but I wouldn't expect it.

BANNED

I want it to be a fakeout just so Jean doesn't just let herself get killed by a melee character. Doesn't make sense for it to be real, for Logan to be able to take on Jean, really. I don't care what happened in OML's timeline.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I want it to be a fakeout just so Jean doesn't just let herself get killed by a melee character. Doesn't make sense for it to be real, for Logan to be able to take on Jean, really. I don't care what happened in OML's timeline.
    I hope it turns out to be more interesting than Wolverine killing his whole team. Again. Yawn.
    If I remember correctly, Wolverine didn’t get the drop on her, he killed the other two first, Jean should have fried him before he could lay a glove on her.

I was hoping Percy would sidestep the cliché and do something different.

I didn't think it was a question that Jean def died. We saw her going thru the resurrection protocols and everything .. I mean maybe the illusion went extra deep but Im not sold lol

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I didn't think it was a question that Jean def died. We saw her going thru the resurrection protocols and everything .. I mean maybe the illusion went extra deep but Im not sold lol
    We shall find out soon but I am kind of hoping for a fakeout because another death for Jean or Quire just seems like overkill and though Wolverine is strong I don't think he could take out two omega telepaths like that (two that have defeated him before with their tp). I do realize they didn't expect Wolverine to snap and attack them so there is that.

I do like Jean's feat of blasting Wolverine as she died and the damage she did to him in that moment, but I'd prefer it to be an illusion or a delusion in his mind. I don't think we know the extent of the Pale Girl's power.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    “The Marvels” by Luciano Vecchio circa 2018
    Whoa, this is the first time I liked Jean's new look.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

we can be heroes, just for one day