Page 284 of 432 FirstFirst ... 184234274280281282283284285286287288294334384 ... LastLast
Results 4,246 to 4,260 of 6479
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What male superhero is calling themselves boy into their 20s let alone past that age? Bobby Drake was calling himself Iceman when he was a teenager.
    Um, easy one, same name concept, currently an active hero over in Guardians of the Galaxy: Noh-Varr. He's as much Marvel Boy as Jean is Marvel Girl.

Also what the hell does it matter? That's avoiding the point I was trying to make. Women call themselves girls well into adulthood as well and they don't see it as an immature thing. Supergirl, in the CW show, is Supergirl because of that and because there doesn't have to be anything inherently depowering about that. Honestly, people crying foul about such codenames are more of a problem than the codenames themselves.

If Jean feels empowered calling herself Marvel Girl, let her. Because girls can be powerful, and it doesn't matter what age they are when doing so.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    There should be nothing inherently wrong with Jean choosing to call herself girl - just like adult men call themselves 'boys' or 'the boys' even well into their forties and fifties. Jean's a women that is in her late 20s, and who very potentially has been physically resurrected either through Krakoa or the Phoenix Force in her early-mid twenties. She can be Marvel Girl if she wants to.

Also - part of it is absolutely a rights retention thing. If they ever want to have a comic named Marvel Girl, someone should maintain that name and it should ideally be someone popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Um, easy one, same name concept, currently an active hero over in Guardians of the Galaxy: Noh-Varr. He's as much Marvel Boy as Jean is Marvel Girl.

Also what the hell does it matter? That's avoiding the point I was trying to make. Women call themselves girls well into adulthood as well and they don't see it as an immature thing. Supergirl, in the CW show, is Supergirl because of that and because there doesn't have to be anything inherently depowering about that. Honestly, people crying foul about such codenames are more of a problem than the codenames themselves.

If Jean feels empowered calling herself Marvel Girl, let her. Because girls can be powerful, and it doesn't matter what age they are when doing so.
    Jean Grey (30+ yrs old) needs no moniker -- especially since everyone in the entire universe knows who she is and what she is capable of.
    Last edited by Micabe; 07-18-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's weird because I felt like Shadowcat had worked quite well and there was really no reason for Marvel to drop it.
    You know, you're right! It never sounded lame or forced. That's how I was introduced to the character and it's still the closest to being synonymous with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dani went by Moonstar in the mid 90s but that didnt stick as she is back to Mirage. I actually prefer Moonstar
    This is why I miss trading cards! They were so official lol!

I feel like Shadowcat is still a good code name for Kitty.

As for Jean, I don’t know. The term ‘Marvel’ is more associated with the Kree connections now for me. Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel. Just her name I think works well - like you say, everyone knows who she is, even the intergalactic empires.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Jean Grey (30+ yrs old) needs no moniker -- especially since everyone in the entire universe knows who she is and what she is capable of.
    I gotta second this. if someone comes up with a cool codename then nice but she doesn't need one imo

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I do agree that she doesn't need one. As I've said about Donna Troy in the past, if you can put your name into the phrase "I'm [name here], bitch!" And it sounds more awesome than it does corny, it's a winner. And Jean definitely fits that.

But also if she wants to go by Marvel Girl I really don't get why she can't.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Agreed. She's been Jean Grey for a long time now and there's no going back. Emma is kind of in the same situation. She was The White Queen for a long time and is maybe sometimes still referenced as such in lettering and intro pages. But before the Krakoan era, she pretty much had completely cut ties from the Hellfire Club and that name kind of became defunct. I could see her start using it again with the Hellfire Trading Co., but she's now Emma Frost first and foremost. Jean Grey might take on the Marvel Girl code-name from time to time, but it'll never last.

If not Phoenix then just Jean Grey is fine. Though I don't hate Marvel Girl as her mutant name as it was her original codename... it is dated and doesn't reflect who she is now.
    As for others.. I still love Shadowcat as Kitty's codename. It sounds great. I also love Moonstar for Dani. Yes it is her last name but like Bishop it just works and is better sounding than Mirage imo.

I noticed on the roster pages sometimes Jean is listed as Marvel Girl and others times just Jean Grey. Having a "mutant name" is important in mutant culture, and Phoenix unfortunately no longer works for Jean (at least for now).

I'll take "Jean Grey" over "Marvel Girl" with no doubt. Anyway, to celebrate X-Force #10 last pages reveal :

All of those Jean Phoenix pics are great!

BANNED

Jean Grey/Phoenix forever!

Codename is one of 50 reasons Jean Grey should be allowed to be the Phoenix she is.

Franckd, that first pic is pure excellence. Artist even did the heights properly. And they are so fire together.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    All of those Jean Phoenix pics are great!
    Yes, I thought it was the right time to post them hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Jean Grey/Phoenix forever!

Codename is one of 50 reasons Jean Grey should be allowed to be the Phoenix she is.

Franckd, that first pic is pure excellence. Artist even did the heights properly. And they are so fire together.
    You know what, you're right. I have absolutely nothing against Scott or Jott. But I was looking for the same kind of fiery art between Jean/phoenix and Scott/Cyclops, and you know what, I didn't find even one close to the fiery passion Logan & Jean share on those images. You sure have photos of Scott & Jean kissing, loving each other's (with no flames or fire). But there is not much art (maybe fans here can help me to find more) that has that literal fire.

I mean, fire here, but no passion :

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Yes, I thought it was the right time to post them hopefully

You know what, you're right. I have absolutely nothing against Scott or Jott. But I was looking for the same kind of fiery art between Jean/phoenix and Scott/Cyclops, and you know what, I didn't find even one close to the fiery passion Logan & Jean share on those images. You sure have photos of Scott & Jean kissing, loving each other's (with no flames or fire). But there is not much art (maybe fans here can help me to find more) that has that literal fire.

I mean, fire here, but no passion :

Lol he's stealing her super powers. Such an annoying character.

Fire imagery when it comes to couples obviously has the implication of sex, and Jean/Logan was always a much more sexual pairing while Jean/Scott is more romantic.